MBP: WTF? When!?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear WelshDog & Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I can wait a little longer. I'm using my Rev A 12" Powerbook 867MHz running Leopard.

I've waited this long.

But it hurts.

Amen to that!

My wife and I have a 1GHz 15" PowerBook G4 with two busted hinges. We bought our PowerBook back in December 2001.

If we didn't have a Mac Pro, we'd have upgraded our mobile Mac already.

--Jaddie
  • Reply 42 of 60
    duskdusk Posts: 36member
    A lot of reviews are out from Arrendale Notebooks and it looks bad. I am starting to feel like there will be no Apple MBP Upgrades till this summer when Intel gives us a cooler refresh of these chips.

Does anybody still think there are new MBP coming, because of any reason other than that it would be the usual schedule? I didn't read about any rumors (not counting the clearly invalid Intel old MBP showing thing).

What really makes me believe there are no new MBP coming are the Lenovo T410 reviews I read today. They look really bad. For all those who do not know. The T400 used to be one of the best Windows Notebooks in terms of drivers. It had almost 10h battery life (9-cell) was very quiet. Really good all in all. The new T410 is definitely a good deal faster, but it is hot (forget TDP calucaltion those CPUs produce a lot more heat), and the batterylife sucks. Not a single vendor (not HP Envy 15, Lenovo, not anybody) got switchable graphics working.

This new CPUs are fast like the Core i7 QM720 was but they suck as mobile CPUs.

It is really sad because I'd have wanted a MBP 15" and I won't buy one with this outdated GPU even though I could live with the slower CPU.

The 32nm Clarkdale on Desktop looks promising. They don't produce a lot of heat, they overclock very easily, they have great idle Power. But with the Arrendale there is something wrong. A Chipset shrunken from 65 to 45 and a CPU shrunken from 45 to 32nm shouldn't produce more heat and use more energy then the old one. Even with worse yields and an immature process. The 32nm CPU I think is not as much the problem as the 45nm chip in the package. Something is wrong there.

Intel usually needed half a year to get mobile version out of a new CPU. Now they did both at once and I think this CPUs Powermanagement has flaws and is not ready for the mobile sector. With all the techonlogy in there (Power Gating...) at least Idle Consumption should be lower.

I have seen 87W TDP Desktop Corei5 that with the whole system consumed 37W on IGP in Idle and 68W under load. It looks like our Arrendales are simple Desktop CPUs and nothing else.

I believe Apple would both bring battery life down and would offer very hot notebooks, thus they skip those CPUs and wait for a refresh. Which means everybody who wants a new MBP either has to wait or pick old tech. Not so bad for the 13 than it is for the 15" with dedicated GPU. A 9600M GT is simply no match for a HD 5830 which has about the same TDP even a little less.

But they won't upgrade the GPU only that is not Apple like.

Maybe all the other companies are stupid and can't get the drivers right but I doubt that is the case. If these CPUs are as bad as they seem to be there will be no Arrendale refresh before summer.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dusk View Post

A lot of reviews are out from Arrendale Notebooks and it looks bad. I am starting to feel like there will be no Apple MBP Upgrades till this summer when Intel gives us a cooler refresh of these chips.

Does anybody still think there are new MBP coming, because of any reason other than that it would be the usual schedule? I didn't read about any rumors (not counting the clearly invalid Intel old MBP showing thing).

What really makes me believe there are no new MBP coming are the Lenovo T410 reviews I read today. They look really bad. For all those who do not know. The T400 used to be one of the best Windows Notebooks in terms of drivers. It had almost 10h battery life (9-cell) was very quiet. Really good all in all. The new T410 is definitely a good deal faster, but it is hot (forget TDP calucaltion those CPUs produce a lot more heat), and the batterylife sucks. Not a single vendor (not HP Envy 15, Lenovo, not anybody) got switchable graphics working.

This new CPUs are fast like the Core i7 QM720 was but they suck as mobile CPUs.

It is really sad because I'd have wanted a MBP 15" and I won't buy one with this outdated GPU even though I could live with the slower CPU.

The 32nm Clarkdale on Desktop looks promising. They don't produce a lot of heat, they overclock very easily, they have great idle Power. But with the Arrendale there is something wrong. A Chipset shrunken from 65 to 45 and a CPU shrunken from 45 to 32nm shouldn't produce more heat and use more energy then the old one. Even with worse yields and an immature process. The 32nm CPU I think is not as much the problem as the 45nm chip in the package. Something is wrong there.

Intel usually needed half a year to get mobile version out of a new CPU. Now they did both at once and I think this CPUs Powermanagement has flaws and is not ready for the mobile sector. With all the techonlogy in there (Power Gating...) at least Idle Consumption should be lower.

I have seen 87W TDP Desktop Corei5 that with the whole system consumed 37W on IGP in Idle and 68W under load. It looks like our Arrendales are simple Desktop CPUs and nothing else.

I believe Apple would both bring battery life down and would offer very hot notebooks, thus they skip those CPUs and wait for a refresh. Which means everybody who wants a new MBP either has to wait or pick old tech. Not so bad for the 13 than it is for the 15" with dedicated GPU. A 9600M GT is simply no match for a HD 5830 which has about the same TDP even a little less.

But they won't upgrade the GPU only that is not Apple like.

Maybe all the other companies are stupid and can't get the drivers right but I doubt that is the case. If these CPUs are as bad as they seem to be there will be no Arrendale refresh before summer.

Citation needed. The review of the T410 I read noted that the battery life of the T410 is only slightly shorter than the T400, but with higher performance this is actually better performance/battery life. Please tell us what reviews you read that tell a different story. Also the T410 doesn't use the Core i7 720QM CPUs. The Core i7 xxxQM series are older, quad-core, 45nm mobile CPUs and they do indeed have bad battery life, but that's by design, they are power-hungry performance chips. The T410 only uses the 32nm dual-core Core i5/i7 chips.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yikes I sure hope new MBPs are coming in a week or two! But it is disturbing that there are no MBP rumors...Again, seems like if they were coming next Tues we'd have heard something? Maybe I'm recalling wrong but I feel like almost every "secret" Apple update leaks a few days ahead of time. :/
  • Reply 45 of 60
    duskdusk Posts: 36member
    I do know that the 720 is not in the T410. It was just an example of a chip that in my opinion is not a real notebook chip.

I guess I overreacted a little as I expected some significant battery life imporvements.

Here is a T410 review and this was always my T400 high nit source along with this T400.

Here is T410 with IGP and non.

I should have checked the reviews on the same site as testing of battery life is always a little different. The laptopmag comparison shows you both Notebooks but it didn't say what battery the T400 had. Since in my head the T400 was around 6h I assumed it was the 6 cell, but in fact it is the 9cell. The old review of the T400 on notebookcheck is with an old non LED Version and while it has about the same battery life as the T410 tested on their site it's idle runtime is no where near the updated T400.

The heat issues might be due to the NVS3100.

What is really true is that Arrendale's performance is significantly better than C2D.

There is still hope that Apple gets new Notebooks out. I want a MBP15" with a 520M and HD5750, HD 5830 OR HD5850. And all this with at least the as long battery runtime. Maybe the IGP switching, that seems to be impossible for every single vendor, is slowing this whole release down, or they are waiting until they can get enough chips.

@Aquatic Offcourse if there was anything in the very near future you always here something. As the stores need to know a few days prior to get rid of their stock. They need to have some Notebooks in Stock before they officially release them. It is impossible to keep this quiet. Every employee can simply go on some forum or sell his info to a blogger and in no time the whole web knows.

If there is something on the horizon it is probably still more than 1-2 weeks away. Sometime in March I'd guess.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    March!? Yikes I hope it's sooner!
  • Reply 47 of 60
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    My 1.67ghz 17" powerbook is plugged in 99% of the time. I am just gonna hold out for a quad-core

17+" macbook pro (hopefully with lightpeak & a blu-ray burner).
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

My 1.67ghz 17" powerbook is plugged in 99% of the time. I am just gonna hold out for a quad-core

17+" macbook pro (hopefully with lightpeak & a blu-ray burner).

Wowser quad-core MacBook Pros. I imagine that is a year away? Anyhow I'll settle for USB 3. That would be icing on the cake but I'll buy the new MBP without it. Laptops have been shipping already with USB 3 for $1299, the Envy 15. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...riesApparently a tested Western Digital hard drive was 4.7 faster with USB 3! http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...newsid=3209540

Well I expect they probably won't have USB 3 on this next revision, but it's a nice pipe dream!
  • Reply 49 of 60
    The Arrandale chip is NOT quad-core, it is dual core. the designation is i7-620M (no Q). Unlike the C2D, that have the idle/turbo mode that saves power under low processor load.

The Clarksdale Core i7-720QM processor are QUAD core and get crotch-burning hot and suck battery like like crazy, but they are basically designed to be used in desktop replacement "laptops".

I think Apple will use Arrandale (I hope), but the hurdle is going to be how they decide to do graphics.

This wikipedia article has a good chart showing the cores:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
  • Reply 50 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Well, when doing web development on my Mac, I have to regularly test sites in IE6, 7, and now 8. I use a utility that lets me run all those concurrently but it takes a lot of memory. i reserve 1GB and it's still pretty slow. That leaves 3GB for the Mac side and Photoshop takes up a good portion of that depending on how many files I have open. Safari and Firefox are not very meager when it comes to memory too.

I do the exact same type of work everyday, and I'd never use one machine for it. It would slow down my entire workflow and have me banging my head against the wall pretty quickly.

Whoever convinced you that it's a good idea to run VMWare at all, let alone running several versions of IE while running Mac apps, definitely lied to you about the benefits/capabilities of virtual windows.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    MacRumors has a screenshot of a Geek bench results page.

Link
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Now! As in right now! The apple store is down. Hopefully for a macbook pro refresh!
  • Reply 53 of 60
    The US Apple Store has been down for 3 hours already.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    You are a hero ... you've kept yours this long without updating it ?!

I am VERY impressed. Wish I was as disciplined

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I can wait a little longer. I'm using my Rev A 12" Powerbook 867MHz running Leopard.

I've waited this long.

But it hurts.

• Reply 55 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    3 HOURS Store is down. Follow downtime at: http://www.pingdom.com/reports/6cndu...me=Apple+Store

Aperture 3 released. Nice.

NOW MACBOOK PROS PLEASE.

One user is claiming to have "seen" that it is just minor speed bumps and price drops on this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1568987
  • Reply 56 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Store back up. No new MacBook Pros. I repeat NO NEW MACBOOK PROS WTFFFFFFF MATE
  • Reply 57 of 60
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    it's back on .. no updates!
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

it's back on .. no updates!

What...?? It doesn't look like they updated...anything? Aren't they the exact same?

Meet the "new" MacBook Pro family. Pf. http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Wow. Are you kidding me. My MacBook is literally dying, starting to hang at boot intermittently...screen flickering like a strobelight...I need a new Mac...Aperture f** that. We have MacBook "Pros" almost a year old!! And this is it?! If they weren't going to update they should cut the price in half. W.T.F. indeed. It took Apple four hours to update the store for Aperture 3? What are they updating it from their iPhone!

Still the bestbuy thing and other rumors...I guess...next Tues "for sure"? I hope so. \
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Wtf...
  • Reply 60 of 60
    its likely that apple just had too many old machines in the pipeline or else they hadn't ramped up production of the new ones high enough.

Its just a matter of time before an update. Maybe 1 week maybe 2, but it has to come pretty soon.