Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

2456721

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    No, but I guess we will find out.







    Look who's here everyone, Teckstud! Welcome back!



    I was just watching your volcano lair while you were away. Honestly.



    You never bothered me once...



    Now go run and play while I go edit my CP....



    Oh come on - give me a second chance. Everybody deserves one- even Obama is getting applause tonight.
  • Reply 22 of 409
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    i have a 2 year old that know how to use my iphone. he loves it. too bad he will hate the iPad since there is no Flash support. that means websites like Playhouse Disney and Thomas and Friends won't work.



    and it would suck for school. no multitasking means no Pandora and doing homework at the same time



    iPhone + no Flash = love

    iPad + no Flash = hate



    Ok....



    Flash support would be nice at times, but your reasoning makes no sense.
  • Reply 23 of 409
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post


    Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.





    i've put Vista on a 6 year old Dell Inspiron with 2GB RAM and it runs perfectly fine. i even put TeamViewer on my mom's laptop so i can get into it from 2000 miles away if she needs help. i run Windows 7 on my 6 year old desktop at work with no problems. i have an old G4 Mac Mini and it works as well.



    I can buy a $500 netbook that can decode h264 in hardware, runs flash, i can play back any codec i want on it, play games via the Steam client, i can listen to Pandora and work at the same time, and a long list of other features that the iPad can't do only due to the software limitations. the hardware looks pretty good. Dell Mini's will run OS X natively if i wanted OS X on a netbook
  • Reply 24 of 409
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    iPhone + no Flash = love

    iPad + no Flash = hate



    Ok....



    Flash support would be nice at times, but your reasoning makes no sense.



    no flash on iphone and no multi tasking is getting annoying. if i bought this my son would want to use it. once his websites don't work, he will hate it. no flash means most of the internet won't work on it unless there is an app for a website.



    if this is a netbook replacement, it needs to at least support features that netbooks support and not limit the software i can install. it's ok for a cell phone, not for what supposed to be a computer



    and I think the entire tablet thing from all manufacturers is a scam and a fad. dumbed down and locked device who's only purpose is to make you buy "content" and raise the ARPU of the device
  • Reply 25 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Have you ever seen a $500 Netbook though? Big difference. Why do you think people buy them? If they were as horrible as you state they would not be selling this well.



    Yes. My 9.5 year old iBook 466 SE still outperforms them, for the most part. People buy netbooks because they want something cheap to browse the internet with, and send e-mail. They sold well because they were cheap.
  • Reply 26 of 409
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Oh come on - give me a second chance. Everybody deserves one- even Obama is getting applause tonight.





    Obama isn't going to get any applause once the unemployment numbers come out, Sam's Club is laying off 11,200, Home Depo is laying off 7,000 and Version is laying off 13,000...





    BTW: I just edited my Location, I was mistaken for you there for awhile by the rest and trolled pretty hard as you can see by my signature.



    Your not on my Ignore yet, until you prove otherwise of course.



    Enjoy your stay. Again.
  • Reply 27 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    Dell Mini's will run OS X natively if i wanted OS X on a netbook



    You obviously say that simply because you read it somewhere

    Do it and see what a piece of crap you get.

    It is possible, we did it, but the result is pathetic. garbage!
  • Reply 28 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post


    Yes. My 9.5 year old iBook 466 SE still outperforms them, for the most part. People buy netbooks because they want something cheap to browse the internet with, and send e-mail. They sold well because they were cheap.



    The sell well because they do what they're advertised to do at an inexpensive price and are convenient as they do it.

    By the way - How much did that iBook 466 SE sell for in the year 2000 and how much would that convert to today's price $? Ever think about that?
  • Reply 29 of 409
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Completely useless and redundant for me. I have a computer. I once had an iPod Touch and sold it to get an iPhone. I see no reason to buy this whatsoever. I wouldn't buy it at any price. If you gave it to me for free it'd just sit around and I'd never use it.



    Maybe, if I didn't already have a Cintiq, I'd consider finger-painting.
  • Reply 30 of 409
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,876member
    I'll probably end up getting the 32GB WiFi only model. I don't need 3G or GPS... my iPhone can handle those tasks just fine. Besides, still hoping AT&T eventually gets around to allow tethering on the iPhone (not holding my breath though).



    It will be interesting to see what other applications are developed for it! I can definitely see this thing taking the place of a laptop. Especially with the ability to use a physical keyboard with it. Would be nice if someone develops a text editor for coding. Would REALLY be nice if Panic released a version of Coda for it.
  • Reply 31 of 409
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Great product, but no (Skype) videocall feature , no deal for me for now.\
  • Reply 32 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    Obama isn't going to get any applause once the unemployment numbers come out, Sam's Club is laying off 11,200, Home Depo is laying off 7,000 and Version is laying off 13,000...





    BTW: I just edited my Location, I was mistaken for you there for awhile by the rest and trolled pretty hard as you can see by my signature.



    Your not on my Ignore yet, until you prove otherwise of course.



    Enjoy your stay. Again.



    Haha- see what it's like to be a pariah?
  • Reply 33 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reifer View Post


    You obviously say that simply because you read it somewhere

    Do it and see what a piece of crap you get.

    It is possible, we did it, but the result is pathetic. garbage!



    Amen.



    As for flash, this dead technology everyone is abandoning, I challenged in another thread anyone to come up with 10 flash websites they visit regularly, I mean we visit 100s of websites in a few weeks. Guess what, nobody took me up on that challenge, cause well, no one can even find ten flash website they visit regularly...ssshhhh....



    This is a revolutionary device from a company and a leader that have always pushed the envelope in terms of computer technology.



    And here the are themselves, exposing themselves in the forefront, not showing some crappy prototypes, but actual devices that will enable people and enrich their lives.



    And f.ing flash is going to mar this? Is it that big a deal?



    Of course it's not.



    Cause some people like Steve with a borrowed liver and lots of will to live and create will always be there, and make things happen, things that enable us, and make our day to day lives easier, more practical, more intuitive, and some people are just going to bitch and whine and moan, then copy and follow. That's just the way it is.



    In a few months we will all be enjoying our ipads, loving them, and we ll be thinking how we did without them.
  • Reply 34 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post


    Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.



    I know about me, but have you? vista?



    does everything thata net book does? lol



    I have a netbook, keys are perfectly fine. Of course easier than my touch. But with my netbook, I can load up itunes and sync to my ipod (or an iPad if I sprung for one), at the same time I can surf the web and look at some flash animated website, while bringing up my pidgin window and chat to my family and then bring up skype and video chat with them. I can install more RAM and update the HDD. I can install any program I want, or if I feel especially frisky, install OSX. Plus the battery allows me to stay online for nearly 10 hours.





    Two utterly seperate target markets, but making stupid comments doesnt help anything
  • Reply 35 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Have you ever seen a $500 Netbook though? Big difference. Why do you think people buy them? If they were as horrible as you state they would not be selling this well.



    This is a fairly subjective comment and misses the mark completely. In the Windows segment, netbook sales growth outpaced that of traditional laptops over the previous few quarters. That's sales growth, not necessarily total shipments. Additionally, it was clear that low-price, low-margin netbooks cannibalized sales PC maker's more expensive devices. People aren't necessarily buying them because they LIKE netbooks; they're buying them primarily because they're cheap and because they are being positioned by sales reps at the likes of Best Buy as laptops rather than netbooks.



    However, that doesn't mean that the product category is doing well, and positioning the product improperly leads to improper expectations of what the netbook should do, leading to consumer backlash. If you look closely at the reported numbers, most, if not all, netbook manufacturers have provided sales OR unit shipment numbers, but no information on returns, presumably because returns are booked into the retailer's results rather than the manufacturer's. This is critical because I saw a long line of people returning netbooks at Best Buy shortly after Christmas. Eight months ago, Intel noted that some of its manufacturer partners had return rates of 30%+ and called it "a disaster".



    I don't know what the actual figure is, but I'm pretty confident that Apple doesn't have a 30% return rate on its products. If you have one of these $500 netbooks and you're happy with it, then good for you. However, the fact you have one and like it does not make it the best thing on the market. For reasons too numerous to discuss here, I do see where Apple is going with the iPad, and I for one am pretty confident that they will succeed in this segment, while the netbook market will continue to wallow along seeking some solid direction. The iPad is a highly-focused device. Like the iPod and iPhone before it, it may not do EVERYTHING, but the things it does do, it does exceptionally well. And history says that that approach will win the day.



    On a side note:

    My guess on the lack of camera is that if I had an iPad with a front-facing camera, I'd expect to be able to video chat with it even on 3G. Sadly, neither AT&T (nor Verizon for that matter) offers a fast and reliable enough upstream channel to make that a decent experience. Hopefully HSPA+ on AT&T will be sufficient to allow the next generation of devices to have that function. Verizon LTE is still too far off from mass coverage to be in the running, so... maybe we won't see video conferencing for at least another year, maybe even 2.
  • Reply 36 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    no flash on iphone and no multi tasking is getting annoying. if i bought this my son would want to use it. once his websites don't work, he will hate it. no flash means most of the internet won't work on it unless there is an app for a website.



    if this is a netbook replacement, it needs to at least support features that netbooks support and not limit the software i can install. it's ok for a cell phone, not for what supposed to be a computer



    and I think the entire tablet thing from all manufacturers is a scam and a fad. dumbed down and locked device who's only purpose is to make you buy "content" and raise the ARPU of the device



    Totally agree- this Apple blockage of flash is like what China does to Google. Enough!
  • Reply 37 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Guess what, nobody took me up on that challenge, cause well, no one can even find ten flash website they visit regularly...ssshhhh....

    .



    you ignoring the replies does not equate to nobody taking up that challange
  • Reply 38 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Oh come on - give me a second chance. Everybody deserves one- even Obama is getting applause tonight.



    Welcome back! (What happened to MrKoolaid?)



    I do have to congratulate you on one thing (and, admittedly, it was one where I thought you were totally off-base): You were the first one to call it an iPad. I can't stand the name, and I think you deserve the blame for why Apple ended up calling it that.



    PS: Sorry about the Jets.
  • Reply 39 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post


    This is a fairly subjective comment and misses the mark completely. In the Windows segment, netbook sales growth outpaced that of traditional laptops over the previous few quarters. That's sales growth, not necessarily total shipments. Additionally, it was clear that low-price, low-margin netbooks cannibalized sales PC maker's more expensive devices. People aren't necessarily buying them because they LIKE netbooks; they're buying them primarily because they're cheap and because they are being positioned by sales reps at the likes of Best Buy as laptops rather than netbooks.



    However, that doesn't mean that the product category is doing well, and positioning the product improperly leads to improper expectations of what the netbook should do, leading to consumer backlash. If you look closely at the reported numbers, most, if not all, netbook manufacturers have provided sales OR unit shipment numbers, but no information on returns, presumably because returns are booked into the retailer's results rather than the manufacturer's. This is critical because I saw a long line of people returning netbooks at Best Buy shortly after Christmas. Eight months ago, Intel noted that some of its manufacturer partners had return rates of 30%+ and called it "a disaster".



    I don't know what the actual figure is, but I'm pretty confident that Apple doesn't have a 30% return rate on its products. If you have one of these $500 netbooks and you're happy with it, then good for you. However, the fact you have one and like it does not make it the best thing on the market. For reasons too numerous to discuss here, I do see where Apple is going with the iPad, and I for one am pretty confident that they will succeed in this segment, while the netbook market will continue to wallow along seeking some solid direction. The iPad is a highly-focused device. Like the iPod and iPhone before it, it may not do EVERYTHING, but the things it does do, it does exceptionally well. And history says that that approach will win the day.



    Seems like you totally missed what was coming out of last week's CES- all the new more powerful netbooks. The iPad seems highly focused as an extension of the iTunes(Books) store- that's all.

    Where is the netbook "wallowing along seeking solid direction"- that seems kind of just dismissive - nothing more.
  • Reply 40 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Totally agree- this Apple blockage of flash is like what China does to Google. Enough!



    Welcome back ...., see I restrained myself from calling you an ..... And again I restrained myself. Oh tec -stud who can we ever be studs and function sexually without flash, ohhh, such a big omission, bad bad apple. I will never enjoy life without flash.
Sign In or Register to comment.