Apple now allowing iPhone apps to make VoIP calls over 3G networks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Where's the update to Skype?

Apparently this was the only thing holding them back.

I would have expected them to have enabled the simple process by now.

Apparently it was indeed holding them back...something some people refused to believe before, regardless of facts. Certainly it shows it was the SDK was the bottleneck.

Maybe you could write to Skype and ask. It could be awaiting approval.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    The SDK Apple released was for 3.2. Several posts mentioned that SDK 3.2 was specific to the new Apple Ipad only. I think that means iphone users (using 3.1.2) wouldn't see 3.2 when it comes out (two months when Ipad hits stores). I bet the addition of VOIP over 3G (for ver 3.2) is geared to help Apple sell its new Ipad. Actually not a bad plan if that is the case.

The use of Apple's Ipad with VOIP over 3G would have less impact than all those people who currently have Iphones and have been waiting for apps like Skype to work on their phones via 3G. I figure quite a few people who will buy the Ipad but how many of those will actually purchase a data plan with it? I just don't think it will match the Iphone's success. Thoughts?

Iphone users would still be forced to wait (maybe late summer if a new phone is discussed/released) for the next major OS update from iphones.

I'm hoping that's not the case, but we've all heard about ATT Wireless supporting VOIP over 3G (last October) but Apple has either been either quiet or avoided taking the necessary steps to allow vendors to post updates to itunes so we could use VOIP over 3G.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    I can finally get some value out of the iPhone and my $100 a month bill. With skype I can make unlimited calls to USA, Canada for only $20 a year (that's right $20 a year), and international rates are very affordable as well.

Up to now, the only problem was you had to be in WiFi range. But with this final restriction removed, I can be roaming around and still make calls. It remains to be seen how good the call quality is going to be.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I guess the people that do the headlines are off for a few days (iPhone) LOL.

Anyway not sure about you and you can't ad a camera before it's release but yo can ad lots of features.

This is nothing more than a giant iPod and one that's worse than a jailbroken one.

I am so dissapointed with apple I don't know where to begin. Where is the innovation, non iTunes codecs, multitaskng, pricing, especially for this, and on and on.

Over at our buddies Mac rumors, one article has like 700 negative to 177 positives and that's teling you a lot. I thought Jobs was supposed to be uber proud of this. This is almost embarrising and I love Apple products but since the drop of computer, they just haven ben the same. There is so much you CANNOT do with this, it's a shame, even the pricing to HD space is a joke. I am very surprised that after all these years, this is their anwser, it's just unbelievable and dissaponting.

Are you serious?

Are you aware that they are not replacing the ipod touch, the iphone, or the macbook line with the ipad?

Did you know that a lot of people in business have responded very positively to this (the same people who carry around iphones even though their companies provide Blackberries)?

Maybe you didn't realize that there is a market for people other than the tech-addicted crowd that populates Mac Rumors, Appleinsider, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc. There are people that don't even know these sites exist and wouldn't care if you told them. And there are probably about 5.99 billion more of them than us.

Maybe you can tell me when did people become so spoiled and self-centered that everything has to be immediately what they want or they can only complain?

Maybe you didn't notice because you were to busy complaining, because you certainly were not building a better ipad. Take a little time and you may notice something worthwhile in software or hardware announced yesterday.

Here's a hint (of things not on a jailbroken iphone or ipod touch):

New Apple designed chip. hmm could this be the future for the iphone, ipod touch, or ...

iWorks app. With the NC server farm is this the next step toward cloud computing? will MS Office app be next?

ibookstore. if you need help here, take your time.

These are just a few hints. Breathe. Straighten your shoulders. Look again and see what has changed for the future. I know your intelligent, so you'll be able to see it. Enjoy it. The rest of what you want will come soon enough.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    I've always been jarateed that you can't use a bluetooth headset with the iPod touch. I hope they unlock this BT profile in future OS updates as it's precluded me from using VoIP on anything besides the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Apple sure is becoming lethargic these days, taking forever to adopt VoIP over 3G on iPhones and STILL no Blu-Ray options on Macs...
  • Reply 27 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Been there, done that on points one and 2 from day one.

I did that too. But tethering on 3.1.2 caused my WiFi to stop working and I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone. My wish list is for officially by Apple and for everyone.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Apple sure is becoming lethargic these days, taking forever to adopt VoIP over 3G on iPhones and STILL no Blu-Ray options on Macs...

Yeah, that makes them lethargic.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Apparently Fring http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=1983 already enabled VOIP over 3G in their app (the limit was imposed on the server anyway), so their app now works over 3G with no app update needed on the iPhone itself.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Stupid question...what does all this VOIP stuff mean? That I can call other countries for the same price as a regular call? Like I can call someone in Canada and it won't cost extra? OR...is it THIS: that I can call another real phone, using my unlimited DATA, thus giving us essentially unlimited minutes for calling? I assume both parties need to be able to to do VOIP on smartphones? I know that until now you could use skype to call someone with skype (skype to skype). However that wouldn't connect to a regular phone. Does this whole thing change that? Can we call a regular phone for free with our 3g data?? That would be too good to be true...
  • Reply 31 of 36
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    If I can get a BlueTooth headset to work on the iPad, with VoIP over 3G for 'cellphone' calls, great...

Getting this at a $30/month-no contract rate? SPECTACULAR!!!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Stupid question...what does all this VOIP stuff mean? That I can call other countries for the same price as a regular call? Like I can call someone in Canada and it won't cost extra? OR...is it THIS: that I can call another real phone, using my unlimited DATA, thus giving us essentially unlimited minutes for calling? I assume both parties need to be able to to do VOIP on smartphones? I know that until now you could use skype to call someone with skype (skype to skype). However that wouldn't connect to a regular phone. Does this whole thing change that? Can we call a regular phone for free with our 3g data?? That would be too good to be true...

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, and it means you use your internet connection to call phones. This service is usually not free, but is very very affordable and international calling rates are similarly prices as local mobile phone calls.

With something like Skype you can purchase skype out minutes to call phones from your Skype client on your computer or iPhone. Calling other users on skype clients is free, it only costs if you call regular phones.

For something like $20 you can buy a skype out plan for North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) that gives you unlimited calling from skype client to regular phones for a year !

That means if you use skype on your iPhone and buy this plan for only $20, you can call anyone in North America for as long as you want on any phone or network.

The catch is up until now iPhone skype application did not allow calling through 3G connection but only when your iPhone is within WiFi network, severely limiting the usefulness of skype.

The good news here is that Apple will finally allow VOIP calls to be made through 3G, thereby extending your range (you are no longer tied to WiFi hotspots to make skype calls).

Yes, you will be using your iPhone internet data plan to make calls, but the bandwidth requirements are not so high. You can talk 24 hours continuously for roughly 1 GB of bandwidth.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, and it means you use your internet connection to call phones. This service is usually not free, but is very very affordable and international calling rates are similarly prices as local mobile phone calls.

With something like Skype you can purchase skype out minutes to call phones from your Skype client on your computer or iPhone. Calling other users on skype clients is free, it only costs if you call regular phones.

For something like $20 you can buy a skype out plan for North America (USA, Canada, Mexico) that gives you unlimited calling from skype client to regular phones for a year !

That means if you use skype on your iPhone and buy this plan for only $20, you can call anyone in North America for as long as you want on any phone or network.

The catch is up until now iPhone skype application did not allow calling through 3G connection but only when your iPhone is within WiFi network, severely limiting the usefulness of skype.

The good news here is that Apple will finally allow VOIP calls to be made through 3G, thereby extending your range (you are no longer tied to WiFi hotspots to make skype calls).

Yes, you will be using your iPhone internet data plan to make calls, but the bandwidth requirements are not so high. You can talk 24 hours continuously for roughly 1 GB of bandwidth.

Sweet. Thanks, good explanation. So an $20 for unlimited calls to anywhere in NA for the local connection price. Nice. Surprised they have finally allowed this but this is cool.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkatechnology View Post

it's a good news for apple iphone users.

Yea it is. If this feature sticks around, and Skype gets to benefit, I'm dropping the iPhone and getting an iPad.

iPhone: $80 minimum, $100 avg.

iPad

3G: $15/mon

VOIP: $0
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Does the bluetooth headset work with VoIP (Skype)? I was not able to get it to switch over to the headset when using Skype? Forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum but it's meant as a generic question about the functionality of VoIP.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gadgetlady View Post

Does the bluetooth headset work with VoIP (Skype)? I was not able to get it to switch over to the headset when using Skype? Forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum but it's meant as a generic question about the functionality of VoIP.

Hi,

No it doesn't work. Apple is not properly implementing the BT protocol on the iPhone. It allows streaming of music but not much else. Hopefully they will fix this in the next release.