3.1M iPhone, 1M e-reader additions help AT&T gain on Verizon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T exceeded expectations last quarter by adding 2.7 million new wireless subscribers and activating 3.1 million new iPhones, well ahead of the 2.2 million subscribers competitor Verizon added in the same period.

The activation of 3.1 million iPhones represented the second-highest quarter in the history of Apple's handset on the AT&T network. The best was in the summer of 2009, when the nation's second-largest wireless provider activated a record 3.2 million iPhones.

AT&T now has 85.1 million total subscribers, and continues to gain on Verizon, the market leader. Verizon, earlier this week, reported a total subscriber base of 91.2 million.

For all of 2009, AT&T added 7.3 million new subscribers, which was the company's best-ever annual total. AT&T reported 51 cents of diluted earnings per share in its fourth financial quarter, compared to 41 cents in the same frame of 2008.

AT&T also revealed Thursday that 1 million of its new customers were from non-phone devices, like the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, and Sony Reader. AT&T recently struck deals with those companies to provide wireless access for the dedicated devices.

While the e-reader subscriptions helped to boost AT&T's overall total, the company lagged behind Verizon in terms of customers under contract. AT&T added 910,000 new customers under long-term deals, while Verizon acquired 1.2 million subscribers under contract. Customers on contract are far more profitable for wireless providers.

AT&T's role in the e-reader market -- with no-contract data plans -- is poised to grow even more, after Apple revealed Wednesday that its forthcoming iPad device will offer 3G access with the 9.7-inch touchscreen device. Plans will be $15 per month with a 250MB data cap, or $30 per month for unlimited data access. Both plans will come with no annual contract and can be added or canceled from the iPad at any time.

The 3G-enabled iPad will have a starting price of $629 for 16GB of storage and is expected to become available in three months. The device will ship unlocked, but GSM-only, and only supports AT&T's wireless 3G network in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Don't tell me - this isn't going to be another DELL (Verizon) vs APPLE (AT&T) battle - is it? LOL
  • Reply 2 of 34
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Verizon better hurry up with that changeover to 4G... They're missing out on all that Apple goodness!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Nothing bad can come from AT&T gaining ground on Verizon. Maybe Verizon will finally open the gates to the iphone as AT&T slowly gains ground on their user base.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Why does every post continue this error:

"The device will ship unlocked, but GSM-only, and only supports AT&T's wireless 3G network in the U.S."

unlocked means unlocked.

any GSM Micro-Sim means any GSM Micro-Sim.

Here is some great facts from the company providing the Micro-Sims:

"3FF SIMs were developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute to fit into devices too small for a regular SIM. Where a regular SIM measures 15 millimeters x 25 mm, a 3FF SIM card measures 12mm x 15mm.

"The 3FF is a size option that's fully acceptable and supported by the industry," said Jean-Louis Carrara, vice president of business development for telecommunications, at SIM card manufacturers Gemalto North America.

Today's "regular" sim is actually the second SIM form factor, shrunken down from the SIM card's original credit-card size, Carrara said.

Carrara said that Gemalto has already shipped 3FF SIM cards to "the U.S. operators," though he declined to specify which carriers or for which devices.

"Gemalto makes it possible for all carriers worldwide to punch out a 3FF SIM ... [Steve Jobs] mentioned publicly that the device will be available in 60 days. A lot can happen in 60 days," Carrara said.

According to a press release from Lok8u Ltd., T-Mobile will begin to deploy 3FF SIM cards in Lok8u's nu-m8 wristwatch-style personal locator devices later this year.

"T-Mobile continues to invest in the development, testing and introduction of new SIM card form factors, like the micro 3FF, to directly meet the needs of these applications and enable new M2M solutions that have been hindered by traditional SIM form factors," John Horn, national director of M2M, T-Mobile USA said in a statement.

For their part, spokespeople for AT&T and T-Mobile both had no immediate comment on consumer availability of 3FF SIM cards.

Notice the bolded print: U.S. operatorS

That means more than one. More than AT&T.

Once again:

unlocked means unlocked.

• Reply 5 of 34
    Oh yeah, the article is from PCMag.com

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358489,00.asp

Why is PCMag getting it right while all the semi-Apple sites get it wrong?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    I understand 'unlocked' for non-smart phones. but an iphone has to be both unlocked and jailbroken, doesn't it? I actually have a jailbroken iPhone that I use with AT&T. Maybe the iPad doesn't have to be jailbroken at all though... ? John Tantillo did a post on how the buzz leading up to the release of the iPad can be chalked up to Apple's strong brand (thanks to its track record of making products that people actually want and that work well). He also named Apple one of the top brand winners for 2009. I would love to see AT&T end up as a brand loser..
  • Reply 7 of 34
    sloane:

Jailbroken refers to allowing you to operate without the OS constraints emplaced by Apple. For example: only being able to load apps from the app store is removed when jailbreaking. So is support.

Unlocked refers only to the Sim card-Carrier relationship. You can buy unlocked iphones insert your chosen GSM carrier's SIM card and be on your way.

Jailbreaking, I think, usually unlocks the phone as well, but with the trade off of no longer maintaining support.

You can jailbreak an i pod touch for example, even though it has no cellular aspect.

Hope that helps
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sloane View Post

I understand 'unlocked' for non-smart phones. but an iphone has to be both unlocked and jailbroken, doesn't it? I actually have a jailbroken iPhone that I use with AT&T. Maybe the iPad doesn't have to be jailbroken at all though... ? John Tantillo did a post on how the buzz leading up to the release of the iPad can be chalked up to Apple's strong brand (thanks to its track record of making products that people actually want and that work well). He also named Apple one of the top brand winners for 2009. I would love to see AT&T end up as a brand loser..

Not quite, an Iphone has to be jailbroken in order to be unlocked.

On the other hand, how long do you think it will take before there is a jailbroken iPad?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    g77g77 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

"The device will ship unlocked, but GSM-only, and only supports AT&T's wireless 3G network in the U.S."

unlocked means unlocked.

"3FF SIMs were developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute to fit into devices too small for a regular SIM. Where a regular SIM measures 15 millimeters x 25 mm, a 3FF SIM card measures 12mm x 15mm.

"The 3FF is a size option that's fully acceptable and supported by the industry," said Jean-Louis Carrara, vice president of business development for telecommunications, at SIM card manufacturers Gemalto North America.

Today's "regular" sim is actually the second SIM form factor, shrunken down from the SIM card's original credit-card size, Carrara said.

Carrara said that Gemalto has already shipped 3FF SIM cards to "the U.S. operators," though he declined to specify which carriers or for which devices.

"Gemalto makes it possible for all carriers worldwide to punch out a 3FF SIM ... [Steve Jobs] mentioned publicly that the device will be available in 60 days. A lot can happen in 60 days," Carrara said.

According to a press release from Lok8u Ltd., T-Mobile will begin to deploy 3FF SIM cards in Lok8u's nu-m8 wristwatch-style personal locator devices later this year.

"T-Mobile continues to invest in the development, testing and introduction of new SIM card form factors, like the micro 3FF, to directly meet the needs of these applications and enable new M2M solutions that have been hindered by traditional SIM form factors," John Horn, national director of M2M, T-Mobile USA said in a statement.

For their part, spokespeople for AT&T and T-Mobile both had no immediate comment on consumer availability of 3FF SIM cards.

Once again:

unlocked means unlocked.

Yeah thats right. Any GSM Micro-SIM.

Another thing is radio part of the device. There is only one # UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) operator in US - AT&T (T-Mobile uses 1700 Mhz for 3G). So that means AT&T only for 3G in US.

Althrough it could be possible to use T-Mobile GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) for EDGE.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

unlocked means unlocked.

Sure, it'll work on T-mobile but only on their GSM (GRPS & EDGE) network, same as the Nexus One. T-mobile's 3G network operates at 1700 MHz but the iPad 3G radio only operates at 850, 1900 and 2100 MHz. Apparently T-mobile also owns 2100 MHz licenses but has not (yet) deployed a network on that frequency.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

unlocked means unlocked.

Except... This is specifically talking about 3G network restriction not a GSM restriction. T-mobile in the US runs it's 3G signal at 1700 mHz, which is 99% likely to be incompatible with the the iPad (and is currently incompatible with all versions of the iPhone). The quote doesn't say you can't use it on T-mobile's non-3G network, you will simply be relegated to non-3G, EDGE bandwidths.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

unlocked means unlocked.

Once again:

unlocked means unlocked.

Apple's microSIM specifically avoids using T-Mobile's bandwidth they are registered with the FCC.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarina View Post

Except... This is specifically talking about 3G network restriction not a GSM restriction. T-mobile in the US runs it's 3G signal at 1700 mHz, which is 99% likely to be incompatible with the the iPad (and is currently incompatible with all versions of the iPhone). The quote doesn't say you can't use it on T-mobile's non-3G network, you will simply be relegated to non-3G, EDGE bandwidths.

Let the guy fantasize. You can show people this logical limitation and they think it's a matter of swap out and not the fact that T-Mobile has a specific license at the FCC Auction they purchased which is that 1700mhz signal.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

Not quite, an Iphone has to be jailbroken in order to be unlocked.

On the other hand, how long do you think it will take before there is a jailbroken iPad?

only iphones bought in the U.S. or other single-carrier countries have to be jailbroken to be unlocked
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Attention! Attention! T-Mobile is selling Cellular data devices that don't work on its own network.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...t-Laptop-Stick

Here are the details of this device:

Band (frequency)t850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (AWS)

Communication

3G Capable

Wi-Fi Connection Management

EDGE & Wi-Fi*

Oh my gosh!!! no mention of 1700mHz. How can that be?!?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    The Wall Street Journal reported that Verizon posted a fourth quarter loss and will cut another 13,000 jobs. I guess this was the "big day" Verizon was prepping for in the AI article of 1-26-10.

It's over for Verizon as far as I'm concerned in the rumor mill. I guess Steve Jobs hates Verizon like he hates Google and apparently Intel, as the iPad uses an in house chip. Reports say Jobs was involved in every detail of the iPad so I assume this includes the service provider.

I guess Mr. Jobs has never had a call drop right when he was in the middle of a conversation.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Verizon better hurry up with that changeover to 4G... They're missing out on all that Apple goodness!

Verizon has publicly stated that it won't roll out a 'large 4G' footprint until late 2013 or early 2014. I'm sure the other carriers are on the same schedule.

So, Verizon is stuck with CDMA for a while. They, unfortunately, will need to build a brand new parallel network. 4G and CDMA are totally separate. This is very costly. AT&T, on the other hand, just has to upgrade their line cards on their current 3G network to support 4G. Much easier.....much cheaper. Plus all 4G devices can easily fallback to 3G.

In the meantime, AT&T will go from 3.4Mb to 7.2Mb and then to 14.4Mb until the new 4G devices come out. This will help all of the 3G users today (99% of us).
  • Reply 18 of 34
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Attention! Attention! T-Mobile is selling Cellular data devices that don't work on its own network.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...t-Laptop-Stick

Here are the details of this device:

Band (frequency)t850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (AWS)

Communication

3G Capable

Wi-Fi Connection Management

EDGE & Wi-Fi*

Oh my gosh!!! no mention of 1700mHz. How can that be?!?

Interesting. I was about to obnoxiously point out the 1700 MHz thing.

I'll just keep my mouth shut now.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Interesting. I was about to obnoxiously point out the 1700 MHz thing.

I'll just keep my mouth shut now.

Good Morning LTMP and I hope you are enjoying the canadian winter.

What are the compatible GSM carriers in Canada?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has publicly stated that it won't roll out a 'large 4G' footprint until late 2013 or early 2014. I'm sure the other carriers are on the same schedule.

So, Verizon is stuck with CDMA for a while. They, unfortunately, will need to build a brand new parallel network. 4G and CDMA are totally separate. This is very costly. AT&T, on the other hand, just has to upgrade their line cards on their current 3G network to support 4G. Much easier.....much cheaper. Plus all 4G devices can easily fallback to 3G.

In the meantime, AT&T will go from 3.4Mb to 7.2Mb and then to 14.4Mb until the new 4G devices come out. This will help all of the 3G users today (99% of us).

The problem is that despite offering better service, they will lag significantly as more devices like the Kindle, Nook, and (max)iPad come out. Single product, global reach wins for a global product. I don't think Wall St. will give them three more years to lose in this space, which will surely place them as the second largest carrier. The reality is they need to get things working faster to avoid losing their position.

AT&T is lucky to be in the opposite position. They can focus on improving 3G footprint and using that to leverage the 4G transition. Since T-Mo has the red-headed step-child frequencies for 3G, AT&T is the de-facto go-to wireless provider for non-phone devices and a lot of phones as well. I would hate to be a VZ shareholder right now. Even subsidized multi-protocol chips won't save them at this point.

Sprint is going to be interesting to watch... they need to get into the pure bandwidth business pretty soon to save themselves.