Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut

Comments

• Reply 361 of 428
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Toyota? - the same company that just recalled 3M of their 'mobile devices' - lol

Yup, the same one with annual revenues in excess of $250 billion. I think you're missing the point of my argument though.
  • Reply 362 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yup, the same one with annual revenues in excess of $250 billion. I think you're missing the point of my argument though.

GM had revenues of $150B when they went bankrupt.
  • Reply 363 of 428
    It's good to review what many thought in 2001, the debut of that "just another mp3" called an iPod.
    It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

[Edited by elitemacor on 10-23-2001 at 02:33 PM]
    from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500
  • Reply 364 of 428
    Nice. Yeah, the fuss was incredible. Same for iPhone.

Means it will be a success.
  • Reply 365 of 428
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

So says you - my MPB is sitting in my lap right now. If that's not mobile, I don't know what is. Nokia is fast being pushed into the high volume low margin space. In other words, they aren't a leader but a churner of low margin product. It must hurt to be coming to that realization, but it was their position of dominance to loose.

But SONY's mobile device is a small fraction of what they produce and for Steve Jobs to put up Sony on that list is pure bullseet. Then he mention their camcorders and cameras as if they are mobile devices too? What utter garbage. He's really losing it.
  • Reply 366 of 428
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:

No, I just wish people would stop quoting you - or at the least your entire posts. Time to add the "new" you to my ignore list too...

Hey Doc- Make my day!Too bad- ever hear of skim reading? Feeling whiny?
  • Reply 367 of 428
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That may be, or not, but it's a rather useless point.

You can't question SJ's conclusion based on the specific assumption he made. Given his assumption, he is exactly right in what he said. That's the fact. Get over it. Move along (I can't understand why you're so incapable of it).

Since RichL expressed the point I was trying to make more effectively, I thought his post deserved repetition.

Quote:

Do you own Apple shares?

No.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The problem with Steve Jobs' definition of mobile devices is where do you draw the line? Are we going to see the CEO of Toyota going to stand up next week and make similar claims? After all, cars are mobile too. And full of electronics.

Jobs must have known that the world's press would take his sound-bite and repeat it without explaining his non-standard definition. It's clever but misleading.

+1

That's what I was trying to get at.

Moreover, cherry-picking a bunch of stats to all of a sudden make Apple look a lot bigger than it is? I would expect a company that competes in the sale of laptops, cellphones and music players to be a fairly large mobile devices company. I'll bet that few years ago, Sony could have made a similar claim. Would anybody have really cared? Isn't it dominance in each market that's relevant to discussion?
  • Reply 368 of 428
    Nokia should down play this as much as possible because Apple will soon become the biggest mobile device company in the world by any definition. This iPad will sell better than the iPhone since there is essentially no competition for the iPad at this time.

Stay tuned: http://www.apple.com/ipad/notify-me/

1. Every university student will buy one. (Will be required gear in some schools.)

2. Commuters will buy them for reading, entertainment, work etc...

3. Hospitals will use them for patient medical records and other information.

4. Fancy hotel and fancy waiting areas will have them to entertain guests.

5. Delivery companies will buy them for updating delivery status.

6. Fancy restaurants will buy them for interactive menus for ordering food.

7. Businesses will buy them for their employees.

8. Publishers may give them away free for long term subscriptions.

9. Gamers will buy them for big screen mobile games.

10. Many people who can not use PCs can handle can handle this mobile iPad.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 369 of 428
    Quote:

You can get a 3G for $99.

How much longer are most people going to accept "non smartphones"?

No one has ever survived by clinging to the bottom - and if they manage to, it's never pretty.

You do realize that the majority of cellphones sold, even in the developed world are still non-smartphones right? That $99 price tag reads like a sales play from the proverbial used car salesman. Up here in Canada, it comes with a 3 year contract (yes 3, not 2). And for you guys it comes with a 2 year contract. Ditto, I believe for the iPhone in most of Europe. Outside of North America where contracts are just not popular, the iPhone is very, very far from that price. And in such markets, smartphones are going to take a lot of time to gain market share, let alone a premium priced device like the iPhone.

Quote:

Ha! You haven't seen the crazy yuppie parents around me! I see kids with them in restaurants all the time (and I'm surprised how many end up being iPhones and not "just" iPod Touches)

Nice that you roam in an affluent crowd. But I just have not seen that anywhere here in Canada or whenever I've visited family in the US. I kid you not. I have not seen any kid below the age of 10 in possession of an iPod Touch or iPhone. Everyone may have anecdotal stories or the odd internet story. But, this is something I have yet to see.

Quote:

With the opening up of the dock connector, I am really surprised that many of the case/sleds with arcade style buttons haven't caught on. Probably has something to do with restrictions on the input manager that don't allow keyboards Perhaps with the debut of the keyboard on the iPad this will trickle back to the iPod and iPod touch and finally allow broad support for accessories like these. If so, the DS is truly toast.

The DS just needs to drop the price. They can easily make the entire DS lineup sub-$100 devices. There is no way Apple would chase Nintendo into that territory.

Quote:

For right now, sure. But trends change. Kids are fickle - just ask any parent

True. And they do line up to buy Jobs' gear as soon as they hit the pre-teen stage and music and fashion suddenly become important.
  • Reply 370 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Umm, it's already happening. Search for it in Google and you'll find stories in multiple newspapers and magazines about iPod Touch being given to even 5 year olds. I should add that my 10 year old is waiting for his iPod touch (at least, I'm making him wait for the one with the camera.) He's already asked me to sell all his DS games so he can use the money to buy more App Store games.

Your anecdotes vs. mine?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

By the way, Apple sold about 17m iPod touch units worldwide over the last 9 months of 2009. Nintendo sold about 23.5m units of both DS Lite and DSi worldwide over the same time period.

They compete in different markets. I would expect the iPod Touch to sell more than the Nintendo DS family. Nintendo basically has the kid as a captive audience from about 5-6 years old to about 10-11 years old. That's it. From there, the iPod Touch and the iPhone takes over, for life. I'd say that given the window they have, Nintendo has been quite successful.
  • Reply 371 of 428
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

2 ;points <<supporting the world wide standard for online video and interactivity>>

you say this utopian statement but this was never and will never be a fact

this is no world wide anything

grow up please ;it is bloody f..ing war out here . even google stabbed apple in the back for no reason at all and now google will reaped what it sowed by making apple a sworn blood enemy just like adobe.

and apple was attacked and abused and shut out of almost everything for decades

msft and crew made sure that if a company supported anything apple they company lost msft biz or at least got restricted <<for example intel is still doing this today with AMD >>

msft while trying to choke apple to death still made sure that it made money off of apple

even to day msft attacks apple one day and the next day improves apple branded office

as time went on the mere thought of gates being dis pleased was enough to pull all apple support

many companies even with no threat hated apple and never supported any thing apple

verizon goes of its way to not support apple

3 f//ing days ago verizon gives a free wifi service to all its broadband clients >>EXCEPT OF COURSE MACOS>>

so my fine feathered friend you post whine bitch cry scream need hope and try to make a sane open world .. good thought ..

except because APPLE has been forced to walk alone except fopr afew companies APPLE HAS created its own support world

one great wexample of this >>>>APPLE made sure that everything apple is plug and play

so all the walls msft threw up disappaered

plug and play as opposed to hours or days of paid tech support to get $60 dollar crap printer to print

non apple clients can't grasp plug and play . look apple is not perfect ..ok..ok ..

ever hear of FILEMAKER PRO ?? the best biz data base SW in the owrld

wins codiac awards every year .. who owns file maker pro ??APPLE DOES !1

why apple hides it inside pacific reports i dunno .

SO as years went by apple got power all the apple fans had kids

little by little apple learned to make legacy products that sell at a higher price .

apple systems after the clone fiasco were completey closed one way but open going the other way

if you own wintel devices apple is never with you

but any apple device can convert any windpow data at will

true fact for 20 yrs now

so in short apple is closed one way open the other . no laws broken

get it ?? apple was attacked and still is so it defended itself by making its user experience wonderful

some yrs ago a odd thing happened the arrogant apple SW team need faster support from adode to upgrade ADODES shity SUITE OF SW <<pre element days >>

ADOBE PROMISED AND 18 MONTHS LATER STILL DID NOT FiX BUGS OR PLUGINS OR

see dude ADOBE was as arrogant as apple > adobe felt apple owed a very large debt to apple over the yrs of adobe apple support from its graphic suite SW . ands that true APPLE SOLD TIONS OF COMPUTERS ..because of photoshop and others . EVERY adobe update spurred MAC sales .

BUT ONCE APPLE STARTED SIMPLE PROGRAMS like iphoto iwork apple worls etc etc

adobe wanted to teach apple a lesson

adobe wanted to punish apple

dude this was a special moment

the world changed after that

apple cut loose its major support and brought forth final cut pro , ADOBE AND APPLE STILL DO HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF CROSS BIZ YEARLY

but adobe lost the war //adobe is dimineshed 'adobe is being slowly cut out of apple world

if adobe make's photo shop a fast lean snowy program that please's apple device buyer's then fine come on in !!

if not apple has its own in house SW

get it

you now enjoy a APPLE rockrt rising with great fast lap tops ipods phones touch pads and the best os ever \\snowy !!!

buit times were bad for us for along bleak winter

we learned apple learned

so0o instead of this boring history lesson my future best buddy

i simply say fuck adobe

flash unless it become less fragmented

flash unless it gets vert very fast lean uplink codes will die

a quick timex movie media player kills any flash player on the world

ok join apple closed world right now

DOWNLOAD click to flash and see what a flashless world is !!

how fast pages open with NO flash ads .

.then go to ABC TV ,COM flash player and try to play BACK A TV EPISODE ,, won't work with click to flash installed . but

.HULU WORKS !! you simply see a banner with flash on it and you click on it and the hulu show starts .

you complain about apple being closed . but apple never stops you from your free choice of whatever you want to do or where ever you want to go

the chinese gov't stops you and now so does ADOBE

get it ??

adobe and flash are now on there way to becoming small items .the future just crushed them ..

dude become one of us !!!

2nd sunday morning rant

time to feed the kids

peace to you all who suffer my boring rants

lostplay

What the heck is all that supposed to be? Sorry, gave up trying to read it after 2 lines.

Please learn to proof read, edit, and the basics of punctuation, spelling, and grammer.
  • Reply 372 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Nokia should down play this as much as possible because Apple will soon become the biggest mobile device company in the world by any definition.

Nokia will always have its dumbphone market. Apple can only outsell them by revenue.

Quote:

This iPad will sell better than the iPhone since there is essentially no competition for the iPad at this time.

Agree. However, that's not to say competition isn't coming. One big benefit of the iPad is that it will help popularize tablet/pad PCs.

Quote:

1. Every university student will buy one. (Will be required gear in some schools.)

2. Commuters will buy them for reading, entertainment, work etc...

3. Hospitals will use them for patient medical records and other information.

4. Fancy hotel and fancy waiting areas will have them to entertain guests.

5. Delivery companies will buy them for updating delivery status.

6. Fancy restaurants will buy them for interactive menus for ordering food.

7. Businesses will buy them for their employees.

8. Publishers may give them away free for long term subscriptions.

9. Gamers will buy them for big screen mobile games.

10. Many people who can not use PCs can handle can handle this mobile iPad.

Time will tell.

It'll be successful. But I wouldn't be that optimistic. It'll be a while for tablets to replace traditional textbooks. Hasn't happened so far with laptops, e-readers, podcasts on iPods, etc. As for business use. This is what I've been carping about. If it's more iPod than macbook, how can businesses use it to do what they want with it (like using it to take orders and make deliveries, or access patient records?). That can only happen if Apple is willing to let organizations make and run proprietary apps outside the app store framework. Your other points I pretty much agree with. Though number 8 was odd. Why would publishers give away free long term subscriptions? How are they supposed to make money with that?
  • Reply 373 of 428
    Quote:

2 ;points <<supporting the world wide standard for online video and interactivity>>

grow up please ;it is bloody f..ing war out here . even google stabbed apple in the back for no reason at all and now google will reaped what it sowed by making apple a sworn blood enemy just like adobe.

The rest is just way too tiresome to read.

But the points here. You do realize that google started working on Android before Apple launched the iPhone right? And do you really think Apple is innocent here? They are trying to move in Google's bread and butter business with the purchase of a internet advertising company. Google was bound to respond at some point.

As for Flash not being a world wide standard. You're right. It ain't HTML. However, there's no denying that it is all over the internet. And for the vast majority of people, we'd rather see the content (even if it's crap), than be left wondering what that damn blue block was. Don't I get a say in what I should or should not be able to see? It's enough of a pain, that many of my family members who have macs just use Google Chrome or Firefox.
  • Reply 374 of 428
    Quote:

GM had revenues of $150B when they went bankrupt.

...and you're the second person to miss his point...
  • Reply 375 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...and you're the second person to miss his point...

And, you're the second person to miss the point of post #360 (which was about his point).
  • Reply 376 of 428
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

The rest is just way too tiresome to read.

But the points here. You do realize that google started working on Android before Apple launched the iPhone right? And do you really think Apple is innocent here? They are trying to move in Google's bread and butter business with the purchase of a internet advertising company. Google was bound to respond at some point.

As for Flash not being a world wide standard. You're right. It ain't HTML. However, there's no denying that it is all over the internet. And for the vast majority of people, we'd rather see the content (even if it's crap), than be left wondering what that damn blue block was. Don't I get a say in what I should or should not be able to see? It's enough of a pain, that many of my family members who have macs just use Google Chrome or Firefox.

tiresome is my middle name

please install click to flash

block out the flash banner ads

and see how fast pages open

you can always click on the flash logo to use what ever is there

apple is not innocent

no one is innocent . who cares

and there is no world wide standard any thing there never was and never will be

they lied to you

this is why cloud computing will one day kill adobe and google

apple is pushing for a single non fragmented web code blocks that look forward and speak to the past and speed info on its way with out a gate keeper at every border

google will lose money if that happens

google needs a closed system for its ads yo be effective

apple will kill the whole ad words and start its own at a very low price and very low band width

if there was then msft would be plug and play and virus would not exist

google stabbed apple in the back

steve jobs went ballistic

to the point apple may brand its own version of bing

google is a one horse show just like adobe

and apple feels fcuked right now by google and apple has 36 bn debt free to use against google

google will be come small very soon . some one will offer cheap fre banner ads palced much netter at a local level

supporting the area from which it came

ie staten island ad dollars will be party plowed back into staten island tax base

that is why google is so desparate to make pc's and phones and all these stupid moves its doing

it knows that its biz model will not last

and apple will help kill it off

wall street is very un forgiving watch goog plunge very son

flash is not blocked on any apple computers you are mistaken // fire fox is cool > chrome is still beta and chrome smell.s of google farts

flash just slows down the net because of poor fat code and ads THAT now look like full fucking movies ..

i wish you luck with your online time and i guess you stop reading me a while ago

so tonight winning lottry numbers are ......70-01-20...

3ed rant sunday blues

peace

lostplay 9.
  • Reply 377 of 428
    The Grapher application bundled on the Mac should be ported to the iPad.

It is a great tool for students and pros to view their equations.

It would be a great application for the iPad.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 378 of 428
    Quote:

Not really. In this instance, there is only one right set of numbers. Period. You don't get to pick.

Yes, if a) laptops are counted in and b) revenue is the deciding factor and c) market penetration is not.

Steve chose a definition of his own (not exactly an industry standard definition) and with that particular definition the claim seems to be true. With another set of definitions it wouldn't. When you ask the street layman about what do you think are products of the mobile industry, you'd get a different answer than Steve's.

There's another more fitting definition for devices of the laptop class: nomadic devices. I.E. You can move them, but you use them while stationary. This is a fairly well known term in the mobile industry (where I do work) to distinguish between truly mobile devices and environments (use while moving, working handovers etc. This is true for GSM, CDMA, 3G and LTE networks, not so for WLANs). And I'm aware of 3G dongles and tethering for laptops.

So Steve gets to pick, but no-one else does? Or when "the others" use a more standard definition, they are wrong?

The result is very impressive regardless is Apple or is not the biggest mobile vendor (yet). There's no denying that. And given a few quarters, the way things are going, there will be no argument about which is the biggest mobile vendor by revenue or profit.

At least I now know by what figures Apple is the biggest mobile vendor so I've gotten the data I came here to get.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 379 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Please learn to proof read, edit, and the basics of punctuation, spelling, and grammer.

Grammer?
  • Reply 380 of 428
    We watch online programs all the time without a problem. The problem is in snow. If booted to snow we have to use firefox if booted to leopard, we can use Safari so I think the problem lyre with Safari and most networks and cable use flash.

We Aldo don't consider a dog skateboarding on a skateboard entertainment.

When we can watch shows for free without more than 3 minutes total worth of commercial compared to :17 on TV, we will believe Jobs but right now, 75% of the net depends on flash or xvid, both not supported on the iPhone or ipad, so what Jobs said about holding the net is a lie. He wants you to pay for what is free and was why he tried to get the networks to agree on all you can watch. But they are no fools. They make their own revenue with :15/:30 ads no more then 5 per show and some are flash based and fun to play. Inaddition, watching on a mac allows you to check email and so on during the ads so it needs to be added.

The networks also dint want all you can eat as they sell full season on blue Ray, a huge difference, and one reason blue Ray is not on a mac is once you see the difference, you'll never watch so caled HD from iTunes. I had Mlb last year in the mac and was getting 720 or 1080 interlaced and the 720 P via my HDMI monitor looked like glass. Night and day.

Quote:

and apple was attacked and abused and shut out of almost everything for decades

msft and crew made sure that if a company supported anything apple they company lost msft biz or at least got restricted <<for example intel is still doing this today with AMD >>

msft while trying to choke apple to death still made sure that it made money off of apple

even to day msft attacks apple one day and the next day improves apple branded office

as time went on the mere thought of gates being dis pleased was enough to pull all apple support

many companies even with no threat hated apple and never supported any thing apple

verizon goes of its way to not support apple

3 f//ing days ago verizon gives a free wifi service to all its broadband clients >>EXCEPT OF COURSE MACOS>>

so my fine feathered friend you post whine bitch cry scream need hope and try to make a sane open world .. good thought ..

except because APPLE has been forced to walk alone except fopr afew companies APPLE HAS created its own support world

one great wexample of this >>>>APPLE made sure that everything apple is plug and play

so all the walls msft threw up disappaered

plug and play as opposed to hours or days of paid tech support to get $60 dollar crap printer to print

non apple clients can't grasp plug and play . look apple is not perfect ..ok..ok ..

ever hear of FILEMAKER PRO ?? the best biz data base SW in the owrld

wins codiac awards every year .. who owns file maker pro ??APPLE DOES !1

why apple hides it inside pacific reports i dunno .

SO as years went by apple got power all the apple fans had kids

little by little apple learned to make legacy products that sell at a higher price .

apple systems after the clone fiasco were completey closed one way but open going the other way

if you own wintel devices apple is never with you

but any apple device can convert any windpow data at will

true fact for 20 yrs now

so in short apple is closed one way open the other . no laws broken

get it ?? apple was attacked and still is so it defended itself by making its user experience wonderful

some yrs ago a odd thing happened the arrogant apple SW team need faster support from adode to upgrade ADODES shity SUITE OF SW <<pre element days >>

ADOBE PROMISED AND 18 MONTHS LATER STILL DID NOT FiX BUGS OR PLUGINS OR

see dude ADOBE was as arrogant as apple > adobe felt apple owed a very large debt to apple over the yrs of adobe apple support from its graphic suite SW . ands that true APPLE SOLD TIONS OF COMPUTERS ..because of photoshop and others . EVERY adobe update spurred MAC sales .

BUT ONCE APPLE STARTED SIMPLE PROGRAMS like iphoto iwork apple worls etc etc

adobe wanted to teach apple a lesson

adobe wanted to punish apple

dude this was a special moment

the world changed after that

apple cut loose its major support and brought forth final cut pro , ADOBE AND APPLE STILL DO HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF CROSS BIZ YEARLY

but adobe lost the war //adobe is dimineshed 'adobe is being slowly cut out of apple world

if adobe make's photo shop a fast lean snowy program that please's apple device buyer's then fine come on in !!

if not apple has its own in house SW

get it

you now enjoy a APPLE rockrt rising with great fast lap tops ipods phones touch pads and the best os ever \\snowy !!!

buit times were bad for us for along bleak winter

we learned apple learned

so0o instead of this boring history lesson my future best buddy

i simply say fuck adobe

flash unless it become less fragmented

flash unless it gets vert very fast lean uplink codes will die

a quick timex movie media player kills any flash player on the world

ok join apple closed world right now

DOWNLOAD click to flash and see what a flashless world is !!

how fast pages open with NO flash ads .

.then go to ABC TV ,COM flash player and try to play BACK A TV EPISODE ,, won't work with click to flash installed . but

.HULU WORKS !! you simply see a banner with flash on it and you click on it and the hulu show starts .

you complain about apple being closed . but apple never stops you from your free choice of whatever you want to do or where ever you want to go

the chinese gov't stops you and now so does ADOBE

get it ??

adobe and flash are now on there way to becoming small items .the future just crushed them ..

dude become one of us !!!

2nd sunday morning rant

time to feed the kids

peace to you all who suffer my boring rants

lostplay