Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

1202122232426»

Comments

  • Reply 501 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post


    Yea, this does not work for me. I don't see how it would work for anyone that has a large office with several people working together.



    I'm an attorney. I have thousands of documents that me and several other attorneys, law clerks and secretaries access.



    I want to take ALL my files with me to court or home, so I always have them. So I would like to "dump" them into the iPad periodically.



    Yea right! You have to go through each app and manually place the files into the app. Word Documents into Pages, Excel Documents into Numbers, etc.



    Nevermind that this is a pain in the ass, but how do I update this? Manually do it every day? Once a week? Start all over again?



    Because that's what "it displays the documents it knows about" means. It means you have to "assign" or place documents into the right app manually.



    And I don't know how this tagging works so I can see all the documents from one client (or project) at one time, but that sounds like a pain in the ass to do going forward, nevermind going backwards to get everything working.



    This isn't a step forward, it's completely ignoring how businesses operate. I can only speak from the legal perspective, but fail Apple. So fail.



    My wife is also an attorney. When I showed her your post, she was astounded. Her response was; "Why would he want to take thousands of documents everywhere he goes?"



    It's a good question.
  • Reply 502 of 507
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post


    I don't know where they have made this claim or if they have made this claim and frankly I could give a damn.



    The only thing I care about is if I can use it for business or not... and right now I'm leaning heavily on "not"



    Sorry I didn't mean to be so obtuse. If you're looking to mostly view large number of documents with simple editing, you can use apps like Air Sharing, Mobile Studio or Good reader.



    How do you manage the documents now? Personally i use air sharing and have my iPhone use a syncing program to sync the folders ( I'm currently using Chronosync). Most of these programs allow you to mount your iPhone/iPad as a server so syncing is pretty easy.
  • Reply 503 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Business also means more than carrying many documents around. That's an awful limited understanding of business needs.



    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...mac_2010-04-06
  • Reply 504 of 507
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Business also means more than carrying many documents around. That's an awful limited understanding of business needs.



    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...mac_2010-04-06



    Thanks for letting us know what 'business' needs are



    If all you need to do is view documents and synchronize minor changes, this may work completely for 'business' needs. The limited understanding here would be believing one size fits all.



    The iPad is a consumer device and as far as I'm concerned. IMO it is an experimental consumer device to see if Apple can push/change the computer model as we know it. For anyone to expect this to be all and the end all of computing in its 1st release state is expecting WAAAY too much.



    All that said, I have the iPad and love it.
  • Reply 505 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post


    Thanks for letting us know what 'business' needs are



    If all you need to do is view documents and synchronize minor changes, this may work completely for 'business' needs. The limited understanding here would be believing one size fits all.



    The iPad is a consumer device and as far as I'm concerned. IMO it is an experimental consumer device to see if Apple can push/change the computer model as we know it. For anyone to expect this to be all and the end all of computing in its 1st release state is expecting WAAAY too much.



    All that said, I have the iPad and love it.



    I'm responding to your claim of knowing what business needs are.



    You might have bothered to read the article I linked to. I think they have a pretty good idea of what business needs are. That's especially true as they interviewed people in business and the professions. You can only speak for yourself.
  • Reply 506 of 507
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I'm responding to your claim of knowing what business needs are.



    You might have bothered to read the article I linked to. I think they have a pretty good idea of what business needs are. That's especially true as they interviewed people in business and the professions. You can only speak for yourself.



    You're right and I humbly concede. I'm just tired of everyone believing that from day one the iPad will magically meet everyone's needs. I suggest people do their research, check the app store and see what the iPhone OS can do before claiming it's a failure.



    PS: I did try your link earlier, and got a Flash place holder so incorrectly assumed it was a video article. I didn't read the actual article until now. After reading it, it makes sense.
  • Reply 507 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post


    You're right and I humbly concede. I'm just tired of everyone believing that from day one the iPad will magically meet everyone's needs. I suggest people do their research, check the app store and see what the iPhone OS can do before claiming it's a failure.



    PS: I did try your link earlier, and got a Flash place holder so incorrectly assumed it was a video article. I didn't read the actual article until now. After reading it, it makes sense.



    I want you to understand that I'm not dissing you.
Sign In or Register to comment.