Apple releases 2nd potential fix for flickering 27-inch iMacs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Who in their right mind would buy one at this point? Wait for the next iteration and remember - never, ever buy a first gen Apple product- ever. Hear me iPad salivators?

Right now I have:

1st Gen 2007 Aluminum iMac, the week they came out. 3 years strong, no problems.

1st Gen iPhone 2007, 4gb model, absolutely no problems, jailbroken and unbroken 100 times.

I could go on with at least 5 other "first gen" Apple products that I "never" should have bought. You don't know what you're talking about, and never have.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, I know this question may make me look like an idiot (not difficult to do, really), but here goes:

I have a 27" iMac that I've had for months, and I've never had a problem with it. I'm still supposed to install this update, right? Or not?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Good question. If it shows up automatically, install it. 99% of the time, you'll have no issues with the products or software. This is part of the reason Apple exceeds consumer satisfaction surveys.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I am glad, more and more so each day, that I have decided to wait to get my i5.

btw - it's glutton. Gluten is a wheat product used in baking. but then that's me just being picky. no insult intended.

haha, thats what I get for spelling it wrong and then letting the iphone 'spell check' for me. Doh!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A.Zebra View Post

It's more than that. A number of posters on http://discussions.apple.com/thread....04398#11004398 have received as many as 3 faulty machines in a row as replacements.

You do realize that a discussion board is one of the worst sources to gage an issue right?

Ive read "reputable" journalists use the number of views on Apple's discussion board as the "source" of their in depth reporting as well so its not surprising.

Ive viewed those posts probably 50 times and I dont even own a 27" iMac.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

haha, thats what I get for spelling it wrong and then letting the iphone 'spell check' for me. Doh!

I'm glad you saw the humor in my response and realized I meant no harm. I do some occasional baking and have had to purchase wheat gluten to add to some recipies.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    There were bugs with the graphics on the 27" iMac that I have but the second firmware update seems to have fixed it. Even with the bugs this computer is so much better than even the iMacs from this spring. My handbrake ripping went from 16 fps to 90 and WOW framerates are steady over 35 with all the settings turned up. If I had to do this all over again I would.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A.Zebra View Post

It's more than that. A number of posters on http://discussions.apple.com/thread....04398#11004398 have received as many as 3 faulty machines in a row as replacements.

No, both updates were targeted at the flicker.

I challenge you to go and check how many dead pixels you can find in the iSight camera (best way is to hang the cleaning cloth over the camera). I bet you it's around 10 dead pixels, of various colours, on average.

Sounds like the beginnings of a manufacturing rebellion... major problems at Toyota, then Apple... who's next?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

THAT WAS A RUMOUR DUDE

foolish days ahead

Short of including a link to the story run by AI, I used the word 'considering'. I am in no position to claim any truthiness to the story, I was only claiming that a few bad 27" iMacs would not cause Apple to consider halting production. Dude.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Better than the Newton.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Why is it that Dell sells laptops with exploding batteries and recalls billions, yet nearly no one follows it with religious zeal? Apple introduces a new computer with a problem and the computer world proclaims the end of the world?

I guess everyone puts Apple on a pedestal.

t
  • Reply 31 of 37
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Apple sold over 10 million Macs last year. If 1% of them had a defect, that's 100,000 defects. If 1 percent of the people with defected units post in the apple discussion forum, that's 1,000 posts in the apple discussion forum, which seems like a lot, but really isn't.

I very much agree with this, even though I got 2 iMacs at work, and both had the flickering issue. 2 I can write off as "very bad luck".

If I got 3 bad ones I would be making a strong statistical argument that this problem is very widespread.

FYI: The firmware update fixed at least one of these iMacs.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Your first question was exactly what I was thinking. Only a gluten would buy one of these at this point.

Unless they had plenty of dough and don't mind separating the wheat from the chaff.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Time for me to be picky; gluten is a protein found in flour that forms when flour is mixed with water. It isn't something you add as an ingredient to bake with.

If Apple actually packed the oversized computers properly there would be no yellowing issues.

And at this point, I'd be less skeptical of Apple if they would just admit the stupid issue instead of saying, "We can't fill orders quick enough."

Okay, fill me in. I'm on this forum to learn. That's why I joined it. I have learned a lot in the time I've been here. How could improper packaging methods cause the yellowing issue?

btw - Have a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...x=wheat+gluten
  • Reply 34 of 37
    My i5 would flicker after about 45 minutes of use. Then another flicker or two, then a dip to black and back. About that time, I would blank the display for a second, bring it back up and the flicker was fixed for another 45 minutes or so.

First firmware update did nothing. But after installing #2 this morning, I worked at my computer for 3 hours or so -- including at least half that time with the display up constantly -- and never the slightest flicker. So, knock on wood, looks good at this point.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    I'm ordering a 27 inch imac tomorrow. I'm not too concerned about the flicker. I've had a number of macs and the only problem I ever had was with a powermac 7500. That turned out to be the monitor which was quickly replaced when I returned it to the apple dealer.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

If the number of units affected were only a few, Apple would NOT be considering halting production.

apple is not considering anything

i retrack my post from before

ok

peace

dude
  • Reply 37 of 37
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

I very much agree with this, even though I got 2 iMacs at work, and both had the flickering issue. 2 I can write off as "very bad luck".

If I got 3 bad ones I would be making a strong statistical argument that this problem is very widespread.

FYI: The firmware update fixed at least one of these iMacs.

many many macs are afflicted by a flickering screen

and some flickerings happen just before sleep some

flickerings happening during dvd play back

some are fixed by software updates

some are fixed by firm ware downloads

some never go away

many buy a new mac

2002 to 2005 lap top mac had the worst time of it

yet flax seeds need to be put in a fridge lest they go rancid