Intel 6-core i7-powered Mac Pro rumored to launch this month

Comments

• Reply 101 of 207
    AMD announced 12-core cpu's a while ago, maybe apple will switch to those to get 24 cores per machine?
  • Reply 102 of 207
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    ok, new MacBook Pros came out today - when are the Mac Pros coming?!!!?!!?!!?!?!

next tuesday?
  • Reply 103 of 207
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

ok, new MacBook Pros came out today - when are the Mac Pros coming?!!!?!!?!!?!?!

next tuesday?

Maybe tomorrow, I remember seeing something about a NAB announcement being taken down by Apple real fast.
  • Reply 104 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Maybe tomorrow, I remember seeing something about a NAB announcement being taken down by Apple real fast.

...nope.
  • Reply 105 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Hmmm. If the 8 core is imminent...why use the 6 core?

Other than as a lower end model.

I thought 8-core was where Intel were heading originally anyhow? How is this chip different aside from the cores?

Dual 8 x2 threads. That's alot of processing.

Now if Apple will give the Mac Pro a price cut so mortals can afford it.

Lemon Bon Bon.

The recently released 8-core CPU is for the 4-8P market which is not for the Mac Pro. Those CPUs cost a lot too.

8 cores are coming with Sandy Bridge in Q3 2011. Until then it's 6 cores for high-end desktop and 1-2P server/workstation.
  • Reply 106 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

The recently released 8-core CPU is for the 4-8P market which is not for the Mac Pro. Those CPUs cost a lot too.

8 cores are coming with Sandy Bridge in Q3 2011. Until then it's 6 cores for high-end desktop and 1-2P server/workstation.

AARARGGHHH! ok, I'll take a 6-core... but WHEN!?!?!?!
  • Reply 107 of 207
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    27" LED display along with it?
  • Reply 108 of 207
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really doubt the Mac Pro will change much. Rather I'm hoping Apple fills the gap in it's line up with a machine we all would love to buy. The fabled X-Mac if you will. Apple does need a more competitively priced high performance machine but I'm not sure Apple has figure it out yet. It doesn't need to be a tower either and could have a future as an enlarged Mini.

Maybe we will get our X-Mac when Apple starts using AMD processors. Apple can price it low enough that people should be happy about it being "way less" than a Mac Pro while still being high enough for Apple to make a killing. Give it CrossFire/SLI support so gamers will be happy.
  • Reply 109 of 207
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Maybe we will get our X-Mac when Apple starts using AMD processors. Apple can price it low enough that people should be happy about it being "way less" than a Mac Pro while still being high enough for Apple to make a killing. Give it CrossFire/SLI support so gamers will be happy.

Well... i7 980X is the only X6 so far shown from Intel and it costs $1k/chip, if you can find one. If Apple manages to build dual x6 using Intel, it will be the most expensive Mac Pro ever built. I guess $5k Mac pro is something everyone is waiting for.
  • Reply 110 of 207
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by troberts

Well... i7 980X is the only X6 so far shown from Intel and it costs $1k/chip, if you can find one. If Apple manages to build dual x6 using Intel, it will be the most expensive Mac Pro ever built. I guess $5k Mac pro is something everyone is waiting for.

Yeah. And we'll all be queuing up to buy one at that price. No thanks. As well as a humungous premium on a 27 inch monitor. No doubt...

A hyperthetical X-Mac using AMD chips. Sounds good to me. Will Apple pass on the savings? Maybe the pricing of the iPad offers a glimmer of hope. But I won't hold my breath for that or the X-Mac.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 111 of 207
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Yeah. And we'll all be queuing up to buy one at that price. No thanks. As well as a humungous premium on a 27 inch monitor. No doubt...

A hyperthetical X-Mac using AMD chips. Sounds good to me. Will Apple pass on the savings? Maybe the pricing of the iPad offers a glimmer of hope. But I won't hold my breath for that or the X-Mac.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Apple monitors are quite good, except for the lack of an anti-glare screen.

As for the X-Mac, or Half-MacPro, I doubt Apple will ever produce such a beast, though I would personally love one!

I doubt Apple will go with AMD any time soon. Part of the reason so many people have switched to Macs is the (rightly or wrongly) perceived legitimacy of Intel processors.

I bought a Mac mini a few weeks ago, after the video card in my MacBook Pro crapped out, thinking it would make a reasonable replacement. The mini was so WOEFULLY underpowered that when I got the MBP back, I immediately returned the mini.

When asked why at the Apple Store, I told them that the mini was a joke performance-wise, without a real video card. AND I mentioned the huge GAP between the MacPro and mini and the dearth of APPLE anti-glare monitors. (okay, it was a bit of a rant)
  • Reply 112 of 207
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Apple monitors are quite good, except for the lack of an anti-glare screen.

Sometimes you really don't need a top end monitor.

Quote:

As for the X-Mac, or Half-MacPro, I doubt Apple will ever produce such a beast, though I would personally love one!

So would many of us. We want a desktop made out of desktop components.

Quote:

I doubt Apple will go with AMD any time soon. Part of the reason so many people have switched to Macs is the (rightly or wrongly) perceived legitimacy of Intel processors.

It is Intel but rather the i86 instruction set and the ability to run Windows.

Quote:

I bought a Mac mini a few weeks ago, after the video card in my MacBook Pro crapped out, thinking it would make a reasonable replacement. The mini was so WOEFULLY underpowered that when I got the MBP back, I immediately returned the mini.

Exactly! The Mini is a limited interest machine. For the most part it is always out of date. Plus the lack of a GPU rules it out for many things.

Quote:

When asked why at the Apple Store, I told them that the mini was a joke performance-wise, without a real video card. AND I mentioned the huge GAP between the MacPro and mini and the dearth of APPLE anti-glare monitors. (okay, it was a bit of a rant)

Hopefully some of that feedback will get back to HQ. However Apples lack of Anti-Glare monitors means nothing, the whole point of an XMac is to fit the stuff that suits you to the box. Thus it is a product any monitor from any company can attach to.
  • Reply 113 of 207
    imacmaticianimacmatician Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

From the Xeon DP lineup there are a number of 6-core CPUs, but none below ~$950.
  • Reply 114 of 207
    someone really needs to finish up these 12core mac pros... stat!

this rumour was a huge flop, wasn't it??
  • Reply 115 of 207
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

someone really needs to finish up these 12core mac pros... stat!

this rumour was a huge flop, wasn't it??

I think the consensus was that Intel are having supply problems on the chips Apple need and won't be able to deliver them until late June. The chips are available but not in quantities Apple need. This happened with the MBP and delayed the release.

It's quite possible that an announcement would be made at WWDC as it would interest developers.
  • Reply 116 of 207
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think the consensus was that Intel are having supply problems on the chips Apple need and won't be able to deliver them until late June. The chips are available but not in quantities Apple need. This happened with the MBP and delayed the release.

It's quite possible that an announcement would be made at WWDC as it would interest developers.

Do they really sell that many MPs? Seems like that's Apple's lowest volume selling product.

The longer this drags on makes me wonder if they really are going to switch to AMD cpus for the MP. It doesn't seem like AMD's cpu is as good for this machine, but the delay is quite unusual.

The high end iMac is a more powerful machine from a CPU standpoint than the MP (entry level) and has been now for has been for about 6 months. That's pretty unusual and I'm not sure that it's intentional.
  • Reply 117 of 207
    psingh01psingh01 Posts: 5member
    The first time there were delays (with the then PowerMac), Apple switched form Motorola supplied cpu's to IBM supplied cpu's. Then IBM had delays with the G5 and Apple switched to Intel. Now I wonder what they will do? AMD will at best be a lateral move. IMO Apple is in a spot now where they don't care so much about the computers so they are willing to wait. The iDevices are making so much money that that is where their focus is at.
  • Reply 118 of 207
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd really like to see Apple knee Intel in the balls and come up with a sub-$1400 6-core AMD machine, with desktop (not server) CPUs, desktop (not FBDIMM or similar BS) RAM, desktop (not server grade) hard disks, and a slotted (not built in) GPU with 1GB+ ram.

Then we can let the market decide whether there's a niche for the current Mac Pro or not.

Where's my crack pipe?

Oh, here it is.
  • Reply 119 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

I'd really like to see Apple knee Intel in the balls and come up with a sub-$1400 6-core AMD machine, with desktop (not server) CPUs, desktop (not FBDIMM or similar BS) RAM, desktop (not server grade) hard disks, and a slotted (not built in) GPU with 1GB+ ram.

Then we can let the market decide whether there's a niche for the current Mac Pro or not.

Where's my crack pipe?

Oh, here it is.

OK, I'll ask:

If Apple were to make an X-Mac with desktop parts (but not junk) and it performed

at a level between the top iMac and the bottom Mac Pro what would they charge for it?

Gene King
  • Reply 120 of 207
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psingh01 View Post

The first time there were delays (with the then PowerMac), Apple switched form Motorola supplied cpu's to IBM supplied cpu's. Then IBM had delays with the G5 and Apple switched to Intel.

Apple left the G5 because it was a piece of junk. Its only advantage was good floating point performance.

Quote:

Now I wonder what they will do? AMD will at best be a lateral move.

Do about what? They now have leading edge performance in commercial processors with Intel as a source. As to AMD it is the same damn Industry Standard Architecture from the standpoint of the execution environment. The fact is AMD was directly responsible for the development of x86_64 which Intel eventually adopted under a lot of pressure from MicroSoft.

Sure AMD's hardware is different but no more so than going from Core 2 to i7. Ultimately AMD is just another chip supplier.

Quote:

IMO Apple is in a spot now where they don't care so much about the computers so they are willing to wait. The iDevices are making so much money that that is where their focus is at.

Garbage! Absolute Garbage! The last revision to the iMac was one of the best in recent memory, they continue to keep the laptops leading edge while innovating and a new Mac Pro will come when it is time. Anybody in touch with Apples development cycles will realize that these long delays are often associated with meaningful updates that often break new ground.

Besides this dismisses another very important element, the entire Mac Line is showing very strong sales in the middle of a severe economic downturn. The Mac line up is doing far better than even Apple expected to do the last two years.

Dave