Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.

Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.

Did you back up before installing as stated in the instructions.

When it caused you issues, did you submit bug reports before reverting to your back up, returning the software for a refund?

No issues here, not since day one. 10.6.2 caused an issue with very slow startups for a while, but since then nothing. Which is also the case for everyone I know on snow leopard. Doesn't help you, I know- but with no specific examples of your issues/symptoms your post is useless and helps no one.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

I presume your referring to the gloss screen. I didn't have much choice. I needed a cheap temporary computer because my old laptop was stolen. And so I bought the first thing that turned up at the refurb store.

I'm waiting for the next revision.

Personally I don't think Apple should make shiny screens full stop.

They offer a matt option.

I use a glossy screen (graphics professional here) and have no issues with it all. Never get glare, never see myself in the screen, unless I flood it with black...
  • Reply 63 of 99
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Possibly could be a defect. I do find it strange that I have never seen anyone else online moaning about it when for instance, my girlfriend used my computer for the first time last week and her exact words were "what the hell, that jumped, thats shocking, thats like my PC at work" and that was after a mere 30 seconds using it.

I also have used other MBP's in the past for short periods and had not noticed the drift. But my instinct tells me that given time, I would still notice 'the drift'.

Aesthetically I love it. Practically, and especially as someone who suffers from RSI, I dislike it.

90% of the time I use a 5 button mouse anyway so it's not that great an issue, but when I'm travelling I often do not have that luxury. Such as right now, and my hands are in agony.

maybe your mouse/track pad settings are set to an extreme setting.

why don't you check/repair your permissions.??.

and or re-install pre snowy and see what is what .

and you seem to be in a mega posting mood ?? coffee ??

>>>>>

PS

APPLE IS now a green company . SO GLASS is in .

AND glass refects

law of nature time

glossy is an the old-non glass screen from some apple macs or on many of todays DELLS

GLASS is NOT glossy

GLASS IS GLASS

GLASS IS green

GET over it

or et a red dell

kidding
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:

Possibly could be a defect. I do find it strange that I have never seen anyone else online moaning about it when for instance, my girlfriend used my computer for the first time last week and her exact words were "what the hell, that jumped, thats shocking, thats like my PC at work" and that was after a mere 30 seconds using it.

I also have used other MBP's in the past for short periods and had not noticed the drift. But my instinct tells me that given time, I would still notice 'the drift'.

Aesthetically I love it. Practically, and especially as someone who suffers from RSI, I dislike it.

90% of the time I use a 5 button mouse anyway so it's not that great an issue, but when I'm travelling I often do not have that luxury. Such as right now, and my hands are in agony.

Did you read my post? Enable tap-to-click, and don't even bother with the physical button, especially if it hurts your hands.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Any word on TRIM support?
  • Reply 66 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Any word on TRIM support?

No word on that yet. I have to assume that this late into 10.6.3's development means that 10.6.4 is the earliest we'll see it in a point update. Or would this come as a separate firmware update?

Off topic: I hope that the next MBPs have resolved the SATA controller issue. I won't be buying unless I know that 3rd-party drives will work fine. I hope that they also use better SSDs next time, though that isn't a deal breaker since I prefer the capacity of HDDs. Intel no longer has the un-green Halogen issue with their X-25.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lssmit02 View Post

Make sure you update flash. The one that shipped with the disk is buggy.

so is the one you'll be updating too. that's just Flash for ya. Fix one bug and 3 more turn up.

and folks wonder why Apple hasn't bent over to get an iphone version of Flash.

my fav comment by Adobe went something like "I don't know why folks are saying that Flash on a Mac is bad. It works great with Windows and the code is identical"
  • Reply 68 of 99
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

I like Snow Leopard, and I don't have any problems. I keep my system up to date, I'm choosey about what I install and I don't customise the OS with 3rd party add ons. My system runs like a dream.

Good post. A lot of people are the cause of the problems they have because they get beyond their proficiency, or install lots of 3rd party software, even hacks, or buy re-fub hardware. I even saw a post complaining about the vendor (Apple) allowing the aforementioned to happen.

I would add that it is very important to backup your OS and data, backup just before any software update or additions, or change in hardware configuration. It helps to stay informed, and if you have critical business data, to avoid the early point releases. AppleCare is worth the cost.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No word on that yet. I have to assume that this late into 10.6.3's development means that 10.6.4 is the earliest we'll see it in a point update. Or would this come as a separate firmware update?

Off topic: I hope that the next MBPs have resolved the SATA controller issue. I won't be buying unless I know that 3rd-party drives will work fine. I hope that they also use better SSDs next time, though that isn't a deal breaker since I prefer the capacity of HDDs. Intel no longer has the un-green Halogen issue with their X-25.

That's my main concern as well. Apple has been downright pathetic in this regard as far as responding to the problem or even acknowledging it. I have to run Firmware 1.6 right now on my 13" MBP in order to get my Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD to work. If I try to run Firmware 1.7, it will beachball and hard lock within 15 minutes of booting into OS X.

I mean, seriously, what modern notebook today doesn't support SATA-II (well, besides Apple)?

But I'll be one of the first in line if they have full SATA-II support with the refresh of the 13" MBP.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That's my main concern as well. Apple has been downright pathetic in this regard as far as responding to the problem or even acknowledging it. I have to run Firmware 1.6 right now on my 13" MBP in order to get my Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD to work. If I try to run Firmware 1.7, it will beachball and hard lock within 15 minutes of booting into OS X.

I mean, seriously, what modern notebook today doesn't support SATA-II (well, besides Apple)?

But I'll be one of the first in line if they have full SATA-II support with the refresh of the 13" MBP.

Anand points out that 3Gbps isn't even needed with a HDD, but for an SSD it is, yet despite the firmware v1.7 update to 3Gbps things got worse in many ways for SSD users. He makes a great point about the drive you install is the one component in a computer that you should be able to swap without having to care to about the manufacturer or type.

The first article on the issue, June, 2009: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3582

The follow up, November, 2009: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3672&p=5

PS: I'll be first in line AFTER I know 3rd-party drives work. I'm confident they'll be listed as full SATA-II.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Anand points out that 3Gbps isn't even needed with a HDD, but for an SSD it is, yet despite the firmware v1.7 update to 3Gbps things got worse in many ways for SSD users. He makes a great point about the drive you install is the one component in a computer that you should be able to swap without having to care to about the manufacturer or type.

The first article on the issue, June, 2009: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3582

The follow up, November, 2009: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3672&p=5

PS: I'll be first in line AFTER I know 3rd-party drives work. I'm confident they'll be listed as full SATA-II.

I've actually talked to Anand quite a bit about the SATA-II issue. He was having the same problems as me with his personal 15" MBP.

It's a damn shame that I must take such a hit with using the 1.6 firmware vs using the 1.7 firmware.

Firmware 1.7

Results\t264.82\t

\tSystem Info\t\t

\t\tXbench Version\t\t1.3

\t\tSystem Version\t\t10.6.2 (10C540)

\t\tPhysical RAM\t\t4096 MB

\t\tModel\t\tMacBookPro5,5

\t\tDrive Type\t\tPatriot Torqx 128GB SSD

\tDisk Test\t264.82\t

\t\tSequential\t229.47\t

\t\t\tUncached Write\t246.25\t151.19 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Write\t299.78\t169.61 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t131.44\t38.47 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t412.03\t207.08 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\tRandom\t313.07\t

\t\t\tUncached Write\t107.79\t11.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Write\t549.54\t175.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t2078.24\t14.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t834.51\t154.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Firmware 1.6

Results\t200.31\t

\tSystem Info\t\t

\t\tXbench Version\t\t1.3

\t\tSystem Version\t\t10.6.2 (10C540)

\t\tPhysical RAM\t\t4096 MB

\t\tModel\t\tMacBookPro5,5

\t\tDrive Type\t\tPatriot Torqx 128GB SSD

\tDisk Test\t200.31\t

\t\tSequential\t161.94\t

\t\t\tUncached Write\t172.42\t105.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Write\t170.21\t96.30 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t113.45\t33.20 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t237.48\t119.35 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\tRandom\t262.51\t

\t\t\tUncached Write\t101.52\t10.75 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Write\t312.02\t99.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t2006.52\t14.22 MB/sec [4K blocks]

\t\t\tUncached Read\t593.73\t110.17 MB/sec [256K blocks]
  • Reply 72 of 99
    I like SL for a couple of features. However, when I right click on a file to choose an application to open it with, it takes ages for the application icons to load. It's certainly not a biggy, but I find it odd, such a simple task takes so long.

Not that I have general issues with SL. Just my 5p.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

I like Snow Leopard, and I don't have any problems. I keep my system up to date, I'm choosey about what I install and I don't customise the OS with 3rd party add ons. My system runs like a dream.

Here is another one. Just because you don't have any problems doesn't mean others don't.

I like Snow Leopard and I have had problems. I keep my system up to date. I'm very choosey about what I install and I don't customize the OS with 3rd party add ons. I just had Photobooth crash on top of the Garageband, Safari and Mail crashes. I wish my system would run like the dream it used to before I upgraded to Snow Cat. I guess I must be doing something wrong. \
  • Reply 74 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Another frustratingly useless post - fixed? What's wrong with it - no issues here...

just add him to your ignore list and be done with it...he's a well known troll...
  • Reply 75 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    In settings under Trackpad, there's a little box called "Tap to Click", give it a tick and try it out.

I find that a soft tap works quite well, rather than pushing in the pad.

Quote:

Prime example: Just went to close this tab in Safari, positioned the pointer, clicked, but it did not close because the pointer had drifted off the 'close' button.

• Reply 76 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The power supply sounds like the culprit, have you checked that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

2x 3.2GHz Harpertown Xeon Quad Core, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB, Logitech Z-5500 Digital audio speakers, 500GB Serial ATA, two 16x SuperDrives. I have almost no apps installed atm, I disabled Bluetooth, I disconnected my webcam, I disconnected my audio system, you name it, and still I experience at least one random reboot every day.

The machine has gone through all the hardware checks it could (even very low level checks) and reported no issues at all.

I'm not the only one with this issue btw: Apple Forums.

I'm waiting for this OS update as the emphasis should be on stability.

• Reply 77 of 99
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.

Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla. ...

You seem to be just a troll, but almost everything you say here is the opposite of what everyone else experiences.

I've installed Snow Leopard many times on many different machines and it's always faster, always more stable, and the few UI changes there are, are universally liked by those I install it for.

If your experience actually is different from this and you aren't just lying/exaggerating just to be an a-hole, then there is either something physically wrong with your computer, or your computer doesn't meet the required spec for the installation.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I like Snow Leopard and I have had problems. I keep my system up to date. I'm very choosey about what I install and I don't customize the OS with 3rd party add ons. I just had Photobooth crash on top of the Garageband, Safari and Mail crashes. I wish my system would run like the dream it used to before I upgraded to Snow Cat. I guess I must be doing something wrong. \

Your not doing anything wrong. SL is still in beta. I'm surprised Apple released it. My guess would be they rushed it to compete with Windoze 7. Definitely their worst effort since the release of OSX.

I question those who say they are not having any problems with SL; and are they doing anything substantial with it? SL doesn't play well with many 3rd party production software - which kinda makes it useless unless your just surfing the web and typing.

So here is hoping that Apple will finally take some talent out of the Pad dev team and give SL some love that it so desperately needs.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Quote:

Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.

Snow Leopard -

Noticeably slower on all my machines (2 minis, 2 iMacs and MacBook)

Requires 2gb rather than 1gb to be useable

Lost support for my scanner - really annoying!

Screwed up the ir drivers so eyeTV now needs third party replacement ir drivers

Quicktime X sucks and has no auto-play

Numerous other irritating interface changes particularly to the dock where "Grid" no longer shows all the files and you have to move a slider - arrrgghhh

Been using Apple 24 years and this is the most irritated I have been by a software upgrade(?)!
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Your not doing anything wrong. SL is still in beta. I'm surprised Apple released it. My guess would be they rushed it to compete with Windoze 7. Definitely their worst effort since the release of OSX.

I question those who say they are not having any problems with SL; and are they doing anything substantial with it? SL doesn't play well with many 3rd party production software - which kinda makes it useless unless your just surfing the web and typing.

So here is hoping that Apple will finally take some talent out of the Pad dev team and give SL some love that it so desperately needs.

you question those that didn't have problems?

what problems did you have? i installed it many times without any problems, with a previous disk erase and without as well