iPad or PS3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got another Qollege Qolleague Question;

CC was planning on buying a Blu-Ray Play Station 3 to connect to a HDTV for streaming movies, HDD content, etc. After reading about the iPad, she would like to know if the iPad would do the same at the same quality as PS3. Though the iPad would cost $200 more, she would be getting all of the other iPad features over the PS3.

Come on, guys. Help me sound intelligent and informed. She's puurrrty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't have an iPad, but I do have a PS3 with a 320GB hard drive. It's great.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    The PS3 will output to an HDTV at full resolution... not the iPad.

PS3 play's BR at 1080p... not the iPad.

PS3 will play DVD and does a great job upscaling to HDTV's ... not the iPad.

The PS3 will play movies you've ripped onto it's internal drive, or from an external USB drive (either from discs or downloads)...

The PS3 will play movies streamed to it over your network from a Mac or PC.

The PS3 CAN browse the internet, but it SUCKS huge!!... it appears the iPad will do that well.

The iPad can run any of the thousands of APPs from the iTunes App Store ... the PS3 can play games.

For connecting to an HDTV and watching/streaming video, the PS3 should be the "no-contest" winner.

But the iPad will do ever so much more... (but it's content likely won't look so good on a 46" HD LCD screen.)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    The PS3 is not a tablet computer -- at all.

The iPad is not a media/game console -- at all.

If you are a Netflix subscriber, the PS3 is a great thing to have, because it can play blu-ray and also stream the "watch instantly" Netflix features. The iPad cannot do either. If you watch more than 4 or 5 things a month, Netflix very quickly becomes much cheaper than iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    I echo the above comments.

Netflix streaming DVD for the PS3 keeps me well entertained for a low monthly price also it can play awesome 3D games. It has the HDCP copy protection scheme needed to watch content. The PS3 has a awesome (up to) 9 core Cell processor. (it will keep you warm too)

The iPad is more like a e-reader with some scaled down computer like features, no HDCP or HDTV output. It's only got a small 1GHz processor.

If you get a PS3, make sure you download and enable the "Life with Playstation" to start like 10 minutes or so if your PS3 is idle. What it will do is run the FoldingAtHome software from Stanford University to combat disease. It's really easy to do and automatic, make sure to enter the team 1971 number too. So the team gets credit for your work units.

You can find out more at the TeamMacOSX 1971 website.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I knew I could count on you guys for answers. I just emailed them to my college colleague. Plus, I liked your answers so much, I think I'll get a PS3, myself. I hadn't even thought of it before. From what you've told me, it sounds like the PS3 is the best deal around,

I just sent your replies to my daughter in Boston.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Geez, if she's that cute buy a PS3 and invite her over to your iPad...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If you get a PS3, make sure you download and enable the "Life with Playstation" to start like 10 minutes or so if your PS3 is idle. What it will do is run the FoldingAtHome software from Stanford University to combat disease. It's really easy to do and automatic, make sure to enter the team 1971 number too. So the team gets credit for your work units.

Done... folding right now as 1971
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Update:

My female college colleague, upon advice from AI members, has purchased a Play Station 3.

Unfortunately, Vinea, I can't invite her to my pad. I found out that she has a boyfriend. Ratz!

Sequitur
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bmw m3bmw m3 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The PS3 is not a tablet computer -- at all.

The iPad is not a media/game console -- at all.

If you are a Netflix subscriber, the PS3 is a great thing to have, because it can play blu-ray and also stream the "watch instantly" Netflix features. The iPad cannot do either. If you watch more than 4 or 5 things a month, Netflix very quickly becomes much cheaper than iTunes.

I must make a few corrections to this post. I have PS3 and IPad and in regard to Netflix. If you have a netflix account there is a netflix app where u can stream movies instantly the same as PS3. I must agree with a previous post though that ps3 is the hands down winner for gaming and movies (audio video outputs resolution etc...). The iPad is great for email, simple Internet surfing, use on airplanes, portablility etc...You are comparing apples and oranges. They are ea lch clear winners in their respective categories.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Got another Qollege Qolleague Question;

CC was planning on buying a Blu-Ray Play Station 3 to connect to a HDTV for streaming movies, HDD content, etc. After reading about the iPad, she would like to know if the iPad would do the same at the same quality as PS3. Though the iPad would cost $200 more, she would be getting all of the other iPad features over the PS3.

No. iPad will not have the same quality because PS does 3D... er, at least it will
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Haha, They are totally different. Just think which one you need mostly, will use frequently. Then buy it!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    HA. And what's even better is that 'beauty' is about as far from reality as it can get! Compare the (heavily doctored) photo's used by the media from her Facebook page and then the news clip of her on camera and you'll see quite a difference! A pig nosed fake-red head with a bad shirt? But how can that be!?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    This is a really weird comparison, since the 2 do completely different things.

However, if you had to go with 1, I would certainly recommend the PS3 over the iPad.

(Note: You can watch Netflix on the iPad)
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I recommend the PS3.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Update: My female college colleague, upon advice from AI members, has purchased a Play Station 3.

Unfortunately, Vinea, I can't invite her to my pad. I found out that she has a boyfriend. Ratz!

Sequitur

You should have found out if she had a boyfriend *before* wasting time trying to help her! Hah! Joking...

Totally bizarre question though, I have to say... iPad or PS3... They're quite different and for very different things. For now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    On an iPad and you won't be able to run Flash. I.o.w.: no Youtube (a.o.).
  • Reply 17 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

On an iPad and you won't be able to run Flash. I.o.w.: no Youtube (a.o.).

No idea what your acronyms mean, but fortunately, I don't have to know to know that you're wrong.

There's a fricking YouTube application on the iPad. That's how you use YouTube. Pretty darn simple.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No idea what your acronyms mean

I learnt in elementary school. You didn't?

Quote:

There's a fricking YouTube application on the iPad. That's how you use YouTube. Pretty darn simple.

Is there an app for each of the millions of other websites that apply Flash as well?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Is there an app for each of the millions of other websites that apply Flash as well?

Name one thing that Flash can do that HTML5 can't. One.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Name one thing that Flash can do that HTML5 can't. One.

OK, well here's one: HTML5, by itself, can't play Flash files, can it? Flash, though, can. Duh.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find that publicly released HTML5 versions would incorporate some kind of built-in on-the-fly Flash-to-HTML5 converter, which you wouldn't even notice doing its work if you're on a fast system. The long delay in publicly releasing HTML5 might be explained by the fact that there wasn't such a feasible converter available for a long time. And HTML5 must deal with the billions of Flash files out there if it is to have a chance of succeeding in the marketplace. It can't afford to simply ignore those billions of Flash files. They're a fact of life.