Apple among top 5 brick-and-mortar, online electronics stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So far, Apple has deftly managed to defy the (inevitable) low margin/low growth curse of the b-&-m retail industry. However, I do worry about how long that can last, at the rate that Apple is growing it's physical retail presence.

Perceptions on this can turn on a dime. And, although leases keep 'hard' assets off the balance sheet (making the financial ratios look good), at the end of the day, these are de facto long-term liabilities for Apple -- i.e., they represent contractual obligation to pay fixed sums of money, just like debt.

Eventually they will plateau and eventually stores will close. Either from a drop in interest for various reasons or the upscale area is no longer upscale, thus reducing traffic flow. There could even be a lack of lease renewals, but unless the owner is selling the property off for new development that seems unlikely as all sigs point to Apple acting much like an anchor store due to additional traffic it seems to bring into an area.

They also have the problem of new stores now likely being built in areas with less overall traffic than before, though won't always be the case.

I think they have been very smart about their growth and have increased stores with a delicate hand. The number of stores they have is still quite low despite Apple's growth, and despite the amount of growth that can be attributed directly to the Apple Store's existence. I think it's safe to say that many new Mac owners wouldn't have given a Mac a 2nd thought if they could not get hands on with them. Best Buy and CompUSA simply don't cut it.

I see your point about the debt but I think is more of an initial fear that is long gone from the equation. I think they could drop a significant percentage of their store revenue and it would still be worthwhile.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Sometimes reading posts on the internet makes me cringe for the future...

[CENTER]Idiocracy[/CENTER] (2006)

(Sadly... proof that life does appear to imitate (even questionable) art).[/CENTER]

The problem here is that you have a base assumption that is different from Quadra's.

When he says "that's the ideal," he probably means what the rest of us mean which is that the ideal would be a computer a 2 year old can operate ... that does all the same things a "regular" or "old fashioned" computer does. You on the other hand seem to assume that said computer is just functionally limited. If a computer does everything the consumer needs it to do and is so simple to operate a 2 year old could do it, that's a well designed device. The fact that your (theoretically) more complicated, more "open" computer could *potentially* do other things as well is completely irrelevant.

Your being a technological elitist here. You're having a good time making fun of people and posing as someone so smart they don't have to explain themselves properly, when in fact you are missing the obvious due to your extensive biases.

It also doesn't help to call other people out as "idiots" when you are posting in rhymes and riddles, and using centred text. You might as well change your handle to "LookAtMe" or "ThinkImSmarterThanYou." Maybe you should climb down off that high horse you are on.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

[CENTER]Sometimes reading posts on the internet makes me cringe for the future...

[CENTER]Idiocracy[/CENTER] (2006)

(Sadly... proof that life does appear to imitate (even questionable) art).[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]Kinda lost you there, pal! A bit too obtuse, even by your standards. [/RIGHT]
  • Reply 24 of 42
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Now that the MS knock-off store has been open a while, I'd like to see if it has closed yet!

Has anyone been to that store? Who goes there?

Of course I'm not interested in it, but like at a car accident, I can't help but be curious.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Now that the MS knock-off store has been open a while, I'd like to see if it has closed yet!

Has anyone been to that store? Who goes there?

Of course I'm not interested in it, but like at a car accident, I can't help but be curious.

i'd love to see how it's doing too...any scottsdale arizona residents in the forum?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[RIGHT]Kinda lost you there, pal! A bit too obtuse, even by your standards. [/RIGHT]

[CENTER]Mr. I-Need-Attention-So-I-Center-Justify-My-Posts...[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]...is referring to the movie Idocracy from 2006.[/RIGHT]

The whole movie is pretty bad, but the intro is pretty good...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I thought they opened a 2nd store.

edit: 2nd store opened a week late in CA. Both appear to be opened. If I were going to buy a PC I'd consider one of those stores if I were in the area because they come with no crapware installed, save for Windows.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The problem here is that you have a base assumption that is different from Quadra's.

Maybe you should climb down off that high horse you are on.

[CENTER]Conversely...

Maybe you (among numerous others) should follow suit.

As for Apple's 5th position - Congrats!

Have A Nice Day[/CENTER]
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

[CENTER]Conversely...

Maybe you (among numerous others) should follow suit.

As for Apple's 5th position - Congrats!

Have A Nice Day[/CENTER]

5th position in what?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do you think it's "intellectually adept" to centre-align all of your posts?

Typography, typography.

The only thing dumber is a resignation done as twitter haiku.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The only thing dumber is a resignation done as twitter haiku.

Hehe, so true!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i'd love to see how it's doing too...any scottsdale arizona residents in the forum?

No, but here in Mission Viejo, CA.

I was embarrassed for MS this last Sunday. M.V. Mall has both Apple and MS stores, and they are about 5 stores between them. Apple store was like they always are on the weeks ends, packed. Wandered down to the MS store, 6 adults(3 at the service counter) and 5 kids play video games, this store is probably 50% bigger then Apples store and it looked so empty. Good thing the staff wears different colored T-shirts otherwise, the nobody home would have been even more embarrassing. When you walk into the store you can see the problem, the staff doesn't care, how could they with all the different hard ware manufacturers that they are trying to push, it looked just like Circuit City before they closed their stores.

To top it off, out front MS has set up some very big display's with video games running, 4 of MS staff were playing video games, with a bunch of kids watching. Can someone tell me the purpose of this?

craig
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craignpb View Post

No, but here in Mission Viejo, CA.

I was embarrassed for MS this last Sunday. M.V. Mall has both Apple and MS stores, and they are about 5 stores between them. Apple store was like they always are on the weeks ends, packed. Wandered down to the MS store, 6 adults(3 at the service counter) and 5 kids play video games, this store is probably 50% bigger then Apples store and it looked so empty. Good thing the staff wears different colored T-shirts otherwise, the nobody home would have been even more embarrassing. When you walk into the store you can see the problem, the staff doesn't care, how could they with all the different hard ware manufacturers that they are trying to push, it looked just like Circuit City before they closed their stores.

To top it off, out front MS has set up some very big display's with video games running, 4 of MS staff were playing video games, with a bunch of kids watching. Can someone tell me the purpose of this?

craig

What hardware does Microsoft sell in their store compared to the number of hardware sold in Apple's? Maybe therein lies your answer?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Apple's influence on technology, media and telecommunication has somewhat overshadowed it's influence on retail but Apple has really transformed the retail industry and it proved a lot of naysayers wrong about what can and what can't work.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

[CENTER]There's a fine line that separates exaggeration and flat out lying, and you clearly stand on the wrong side of said line.

Have A Nice Day[/CENTER]

Too true DaHarder he is eighteen and he said some other things not quite so complimentary. My bad for turning derisive insults into a humorous anecdote.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[CENTER]Mr. I-Need-Attention-So-Center-Justify-My-Posts...[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]...is referring to the movie Idocracy from 2006.[/RIGHT]

The whole movie is pretty bad, but the intro is pretty good...

Thanks!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i live in Scottsdale/Fountain Hills and I didn't know there was an MS store here!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    The article forums on AI are deteriorating rapidly. It seems that most of the replies on this thread are from trolls, or people replying to their posts. Mods, you guys need to nip this in the bud; as it stands right now, the trolls are succeeding in turning these forums into a collective cesspool.

• Reply 38 of 42
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

[CENTER]

Apple's doing very well catering to the least intellectually adept consumer by offering limited, so simple even a 2 year old can use, electronic appliances with as few options as possible, so I don't see them changing anytime soon.

[/CENTER]

That seems to be their new strategy. And lots of folks are cheering them on with it.

The question in my mind is whether they will abandon their high end customers totally. Don't they make some high end Mac desktops with good performance? Will they abandon that market in favor of limited-ability stuff?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If Apple had a better business solutions segment augmenting their successful retail operations, I think they would do very well.

Didn't they try that during the Scully years and almost go bankrupt?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD:

So does Starbucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sure. What's your point?

That's kind of funny. I always thought of Apple users and *$ drinkers as largely the same folks. With the same purchasing preferences.

And the fact of the matter is, *$ sells mediocre, overpriced coffee to folks who know no better.