11 products earn 'Best of Show' distinction at Macworld 2010

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macworld 2010 is being held in San Francisco this week, and 11 different products featured at the event have been declared the best by the editors of Macworld.

The winners were revealed this week as the show kicked off at the Moscone Center. The full list of honorees, as judged by the magazine, is available at its Web site, along with a slideshow showing off each product. The following is a quick summary of the 2010 winners:

Canson Papershow - $200: Similar to the Livescribe Pulse Smartpen, this product uses a camera-equipped pen and special paper to transmit handwriting to a screen. This would allow a user to make annotations on a chart in a presentation in real time.

Carina Software SkyFi - $165: Combine the SkyFi ($150) and accompanying iPhone application ($15) allows users to use their iPhone to control their GoTo telescope through its RS-232 port. The system also allows a Mac to be used as a remote control, and it can be done remotely over the Internet.

FastMac U-Socket - $30: This allows an iPhone, iPod, digital camera or other device to be plugged directly into a wall without a power adapter. The device's USB ports can reportedly output 5V at 600 mA.

Frolicware AutoPark - $5: This iPhone application lets users track the time left on a parking meter, use GPS to find their car, and find useful nearby places like gas stations, banks and bathrooms.

Inrix Traffic Pro - $10 for first year, $25 lifetime: Another iPhone application, this lets users plan their commute with real-time traffic reports. It also offers access to traffic cameras to see what lies ahead on the road.

Kanex HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Connector - $150: This hardware allows users to connect an external device, such as a Blu-ray player, to Apple's new 27-inch iMac. Previously, only devices with a Mini DisplayPort output were capable.

Marketcircle Billings Touch - $15: A time billing program for the the iPhone and iPod touch. It works on its own and also syncs with the Mac version of the software.

Microvision ShowWX - $500: A pico projector that uses laser technology for superior color display. It also comes with a cable for connecting to an iPod nano, iPod touch or iPhone.

Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite - $10: An iPhone application that offers two full-featured office applications, Quickword and Quicksheet, that allow users to create, open and edit Microsoft Word and Excel documents. Files from DropBox, Google Docs and MobileMe can also be accessed from the software.

SachManya Yapper - Price unknown: An online service that allows users to create iPhone and iPod touch applications for Apple's App Store without having any knowledge of how to code. Applications can simply use existing RSS feeds, cache content for offline reading and more.

Ten One Design Inklet - $25: Allows users to utilize the multitouch trackpad on a MacBook in the same fashion as a Wacom tablet. Adding in the $15 Pogo Sketch adds the ability to measure pressure sensitivity.

Macworld 2010 is a five-day event that runs through Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    without the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Macworld 2010 is being held in San Francisco this week, and 11 different products featured at the event have been declared the best by the editors of Macworld.

The winners were revealed this week as the show kicked off at the Moscone Center. The full list of honorees, as judged by the magazine, is available

Oops!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Was there even a single piece of Macintosh software in this list? I didn't see one, that's a little scary that the Macworld Expo's "Best of Show" awards don't include many Mac-centric products...
  • Reply 4 of 38
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Kanex HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Connector

Nice product ... But $150?!
  • Reply 5 of 38
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Was there even a single piece of Macintosh software in this list? I didn't see one, that's a little scary that the Macworld Expo's "Best of Show" awards don't include many Mac-centric products...

I couldn't agree more.

Sure looks like a sign of things to come.

This could also be something Apple knew (because they caused it).

Apple could have announced Aperture at MacWorld, this surely would have been in the top 2 places for awards.

Skip
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Blah! Must have been a snooze-fest.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

Blah! Must have been a snooze-fest.

It was. I was there for one hour on Thursday. I have been going to this show since 1987 and this was the worst I have ever seen. Apple really needs to make an appearance at this show.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Any news on this? They were not at the event this year, wondering if there's a 2010 version.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    If this stuff was the best there, that's freakin' scary. Mostly a bunch of crapola from what I can tell. At very best, not very exciting. The only thing I find interesting is the USB wall charging ports, and that's hardly cutting-edge stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The Inklet's for you Solips - I love that it can be used on the MacBook. Hmmm... need to try one of those.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Yeah, what the hell?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    According to their website, they had a booth there, demonstrating their Surge solar charging cases for the iPhone and iPod touch.

I'd like to see something like that for the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Yeah, what the hell?

From your dismay, I'm guessing that you figure this thing is a passive cable. It's not. It's a small box with digital video conversion componentry in it, plus digital audio broken out to a mini plug, plus USB for power.

As was discussed at length when the 27" iMac was released, the Mini DisplayPort input on the iMac doesn't take HDMI or DVI signals natively, so those signals must be converted before they can be displayed.

This thing is actually among the cheaper solutions, and the same price as the Dr. Bott box, which doesn't do audio or USB power.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From your dismay, I'm guessing that you figure this thing is a passive cable. It's not. It's a small box with digital video conversion componentry in it, plus digital audio broken out to a mini plug, plus USB for power.

As was discussed at length when the 27" iMac was released, the Mini DisplayPort input on the iMac doesn't take HDMI or DVI signals natively, so those signals must be converted before they can be displayed.

This thing is actually among the cheaper solutions, and the same price as the Dr. Bott box, which doesn't do audio or USB power.

2 things.

1) I thought a DP to HDMI cable came out a while ago for like $14.

2) Apparently, it's not $150 on their website? The link that AI provided sends you to this page:

http://kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3495

Which has it listed for $69.99
  • Reply 15 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple should add an additional HDMI port on "all" their laptops. No excuses. No excuses.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

According to their website, they had a booth there, demonstrating their Surge solar charging cases for the iPhone and iPod touch.

I'd like to see something like that for the iPad.

Now THAT is cool.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    So is everything iPhone now? There used to be a lot of good software and products come out of this now everything is iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Trade Shows in this form will die in the next 10 years
  • Reply 19 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

2 things.

2) Apparently, it's not $150 on their website? The link that AI provided sends you to this page:

There are DP to HDMI cables. They work if you're trying to get the DP signaling out of your MacBook Pro and into an HDMI equipped monitor. The converter being touted is for getting an HDMI signal out of something like a Blu-ray player into the 27" iMac, which is a whole 'nuther thing.

The article has the wrong link. That's for a passive cable plus audio, like what you're talking about in point 1. The correct link is here.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This is speculation since I can't seem to find detailed specs, but the audio out minijack is on the same side as the HDMI port, not next to the mDP port where it belongs. Also, without USB-out so 5.1 channel audio from a Blu-ray disc won't be possible. 2-channel audio is all that the mini-jack can output.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

2 things.

That is an adapter. Go back to their site and look at the Kanex XD under converters. Adapters are changing the connectors and in the case of the cable you demoed splicing multiple ones into a single HDMI, but it's still just cabling.

The Kanex XD is much more complex, it's changing the video signal from HDMI to DisplayPort. DisplayPort can output the HDMI/DVI signal but it can't interpret it coming it. It's a one way operation so a signal converter is need.

Plus, you can find that adapter much cheaper on monoprice.com. It's where I bought mine. It works great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple should add an additional HDMI port on "all" their laptops. No excuses. No excuses.

Hell no!. You want that just buy an adapter.

What they do need to add is audio out through DisplayPort so users can have one single cable for audio and video over this superior interface.

They also need to enable the data. DP can output USB at 750Mbps. That is 50% faster than USB2.0. I'd like to see an ACD with a single cable to enable video, audio and the USB hub. Scratch the USB hub through DP, I'd rather that be a USB3.0 hub which means a seperate USB cable off the ACD.