Despite Apple's absence, iPhone is talk of Mobile World Congress

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    I see my optimistic approach to all things has been lost. This is an Apple-biased site, so I wouldn't expect anything less. But there's a new thread specifically for the WP7 announcement. I'm moving my conversations there now.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another phone with OLED. I hope Apple step up the mark for the next iPhone, LCD just doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Is AMOLED really a clear cut winner over LCD? Blacks looks better, colours more vibrant, but even with a much higher ppi the images looks more washed out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackslash View Post

If you go and look at the rumoured prototypes for the next iPhone you'll see the screen is a slightly different size. This to me says different ppi and potentially OLED display.

The ppi and the screen size are independent of each other. I hope isn't correct. It looks more like a Chinese knockoff to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

When is any consumer electronics device "life changing"? Medical electronics, sure, but I don't know if it can apply to CE.

Sure it can. CE makes our lives easier every day, for better or for worse. If you want to go with life saving and the iPhone there are several examples of that. The latest is a guy using the app First Aid to survive being trapped under rubble in the Haitian earthquake.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I see my optimistic approach to all things has been lost. This is an Apple-biased site, so I wouldn't expect anything less. But there's a new thread specifically for the WP7 announcement. I'm moving my conversations there now.

Translation: "Jesus, I was pwned. I'll go cry on the shoulder of my windowze nerds and pray that what those meanies said isn't true. It can't be true!"

That's what it is going to look like unless you actually respond to our arguments with facts, not wishful thinking. \

The choice is yours.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:

When is any consumer electronics device "life changing"? Medical electronics, sure, but I don't know if it can apply to CE.

when picture viewers are "magical".
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is AMOLED really a clear cut winner over LCD? Blacks looks better, colours more vibrant, but even with a much higher ppi the images looks more washed out.

Not to mention they can just slap LED on the new iPhone, just like they did the iPad, can't they?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not to mention they can just slap LED on the new iPhone, just like they did the iPad, can't they?

I think the iPhone already uses an LED backlight, like the iPad, but both use an LCD display.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah the iPhone has always been LED backlit.

Quote:

I think the iPhone already uses an LED backlight, like the iPad, but both use an LCD display.

• Reply 28 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Sure it can. CE makes our lives easier every day, for better or for worse. If you want to go with life saving and the iPhone there are several examples of that. The latest is a guy using the app First Aid to survive being trapped under rubble in the Haitian earthquake.

The thing is, it's more hyperbolic than anything else, it's supposed to give the impression of a major change when it's an evolution. I'd say indoor plumbing is more life changing in general than any piece of consumer electronics, but Kohler probably doesn't put silly exclamations of "life changing" or "magical" in their press releases or marketing materials.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yeah the iPhone has always been LED backlit.

Source?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What other source of backlight do you think they used? LED has been used in phones for years, its nothing new.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Source?

• Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

The thing is, it's more hyperbolic than anything else, it's supposed to give the impression of a major change when it's an evolution. I'd say indoor plumbing is more life changing in general than any piece of consumer electronics, but Kohler probably doesn't put silly exclamations of "life changing" or "magical" in their press releases or marketing materials.

It's quite amazing the things we take for granted these days. Once the invention becomes a staple we no longer call it life changing, even though without it our way of life would crumble rather quickly. Are we counting a "way of life" change or some deeper meaning life change? I'd say the cell phone has changed our way of life in many ways, mostly for the better, some for the worse.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

I Love Apple products....but I don't drink the koolaid.

LOL, i guess that makes you VERY cool
  • Reply 33 of 50
    I agree! Nicely put!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

And XBox Live support? Again, your point is all about 'the future,' or to quote you: "we'll have to see how it plays out in the long run".

Does that comment only work for Apple products and none others?

Wait until OS3 we can get copy and paste

Wait until OS4 we can get better multitasking

Wait until we see how the apps play out in the long run, then you will see how great the iPad is

blah blah blah
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

...but if it turns out that WP7 becomes a hit and MS passes up the iPhone in the future, then you'll get to realize that Ballmer just passed you in the fast lane .

Holy Shit, that image in my mind reminds me of Wiley Coyote!

Blamer in the fast lane -

There is only one thing Balmer will pass... well, maybe two.......... no, maybe three... gas, stones & out!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Something like this you mean?

Quote:

From what is being shown, the XBox Live infrastructure on WP7 is just a version of XBox Live that you have on the console that you can take on the go. Access to all the same information, talk to all the friends you have on XBL, get game requets... From the gamer's perspective, that's a lot more than what the App Store offers.

• Reply 37 of 50
    New iPhone killer? Just put it on the pile out back. We've started a new one right next to the iPod killer pile.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another phone with OLED. I hope Apple step up the mark for the next iPhone, LCD just doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Really? My screen is quite clear, bright, and readable. Just how much better is OLED in this small screen application anyway? Will it change my whole smartphone experience? Or is it just one of those new bright shiny things that is a little better, but everyone's got to have it to be cool.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It CHANGED THE UNIVERSE! No no no, it changed the MULTIVERSE!

If there's ever gonna be a third world war, blame the iPod. Seriously.

So true. In fact, I doubt the iPod will even be considered terribly significant in the long run. It was really just a blip that immediately preceded pocket computers. Even if looking at mobile music, the differentiation will be... people walked around with bulky physical media players vs. walking around with pocket computers. For true trivia mongers, sure, the iPod will get it's due. But otherwise, I think it will be overshadowed by the pocket computer (smart phone) revolution.

Terminology side-bar: "pocket computer" vs "smart phone"

Damn I wish americans used the term "mobile" rather than "cell phone". The rest of the world can continue talking about "mobiles" and just have the word assume more functionality in-line with the functionality of the mobiles. Meanwhile, here in america people are going to be stuck saying "smart phone". And just like the "global warming" confusion some idiots will be confused about how "phones" can do all this stuff that a "computer can do. "My cell phone says its the snowiest february ever, so much for global warming?" Meanwhile... "mobile users" are busy discussing "climate change".
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Terminology side-bar: "pocket computer" vs "smart phone"

Damn I wish americans used the term "mobile" rather than "cell phone". The rest of the world can continue talking about "mobiles" and just have the word assume more functionality in-line with the functionality of the mobiles. Meanwhile, here in america people are going to be stuck saying "smart phone". And just like the "global warming" confusion some idiots will be confused about how "phones" can do all this stuff that a "computer can do. "My cell phone says its the snowiest february ever, so much for global warming?" Meanwhile... "mobile users" are busy discussing "climate change".

Point taken. But I think this will become moot as land lines disappear and cell/mobile phones become the norm. Then, it will just be "phone" again, like the good old days.