MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

1235723

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 450
    How many phone markets are left to MS?



    I mean, I have read that Motorola is going their way and Palm has WebOS and Android is on a bunch of HTC phones instead of MS, does that mean MS will have just this one model phone and they have to "Make" it themselves? Or is the OS available to other phone manufacturers and who will license it? I think even Dell is looking elsewhere, not sure though.



    Also, is this CDMA phone? Which carrier will have this?



    Not interested in getting one. Just have some questions. There is more then enough comments about MS belated attempt to alter their phone OS. Just because I agree with most of them, I won't be superfluous...
  • Reply 82 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkbaron View Post


    Im in the process of writing a developer training course on the Windows Phone 7 Series SDK so dont talk about what you dont know.



    I created Windows Phone 7
  • Reply 83 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    I don't think multitasking is all that important. I do agree people are being overly biased. MS has done something interesting and they should be given credit. The people here who are just dumping on it simply because its MS are being fanboys.



    I agree 100% Microsoft definitely has a compelling platform now, and MS is pulling from its Zune Services and Xbox 360 and Windows 7 to tie everything together.



    i used to own a Zune HD but the only reason i got rid of it was due to no Mac support without booting into windows and having my BlackBerry to play music as well. Heres hoping Mac support is coming, as it would be very unwise to just give people a reason to continue using other platforms (RIM and Apple support Mac)
  • Reply 84 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post


    So you would agree the Microsoft comes closet out of Apple's rivals to competing with this ecosystem? Microsoft has a music store, a large developer community, internet services, a large gaming community and now a seemingly competent mobile OS. All the pieces appear to be there so question will be whether Microsoft can integrate them all together.



    Re the bolded part: WHAT ecosystem?



    Re the rest:



    You've just proved my point.
  • Reply 85 of 450
    Is multitasking mentioned as a feature in WinPhone7Ser (WP7S?) All I can see is standard sorts of notification based multitasking in the tiles.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    I don't think multitasking is all that important. I do agree people are being overly biased. MS has done something interesting and they should be given credit. The people here who are just dumping on it simply because its MS are being fanboys.



  • Reply 86 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


    Amazing how a company can introduce a mobile phone and not talk about how the phone works. I looked at all the screenshots and haven't seen how to make a call.



    As far as the UI goes, why are the fonts cutoff at the sides, top and bottom? Guess I should wait to see real, live demoes(spelling? I'm Dutch).



    Fonts are only cut off when you are "in" that specific item (for example "photos"). Just to give you a hint where you are, like a background. It is more clear when you see it in motion.



    And making a call is super easy: press on "Phone" in the Start screen and enter the number or in "People" just tab the person.
  • Reply 87 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    How many phone markets are left to MS?



    I mean, I have read that Motorola is going their way and Palm has WebOS and Android is on a bunch of HTC phones instead of MS, does that mean MS will have just this one model phone and they have to "Make" it themselves? Or is the OS available to other phone manufacturers and who will license it? I think even Dell is looking elsewhere, not sure though.



    Also, is this CDMA phone? Which carrier will have this?



    Not interested in getting one. Just have some questions. There is more then enough comments about MS belated attempt to alter their phone OS. Just because I agree with most of them, I won't be superfluous...



    MS isnt in the hardware business but is dictating what be in the hardware. It has to meet certain requirements (3 button layout on all phones, stricter hardware specs) no more overlapping UIs (Sense/TouchWiz gone)



    WinMo 7 will be on many carriers, including VZW
  • Reply 88 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    Might have to give it a try. I'm so pissed at Apple for telling me "if you want to be with me, you WILL use AT&T" At least this bloody thing works on Verizon so I might be able to complete a phone call for the first time in nearly two years. Thats kinda important to some of us Mr. Apple.



    Wow a whole two years and you haven't completed a phone call for the first time... I'll give you credit... you are a very patient person. However, some might wonder why you haven't returned your phone, canceled your att and gotten with another carrier and phone that meets your needs... making a phone call. I mean there is beating a dead horse and then there is beating a dead horse... time to know when that puppy is dead! Other people will say, "Here's your sign!".
  • Reply 89 of 450
    self delete
  • Reply 90 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    So it was YOUR IDEA!



  • Reply 91 of 450
    I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.



    Apple can always learn from others and improve.
  • Reply 92 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post


    I agree 100% Microsoft definitely has a compelling platform now, and MS is pulling from its Zune Services and Xbox 360 and Windows 7 to tie everything together.



    i used to own a Zune HD but the only reason i got rid of it was due to no Mac support without booting into windows and having my BlackBerry to play music as well. Heres hoping Mac support is coming, as it would be very unwise to just give people a reason to continue using other platforms (RIM and Apple support Mac)



    Probably the only reason they wouldn't support mac is they would have to port the Zune software, thereby making it possible to play zune movies and music on a mac. Microsoft seems to have a history of not wanting to make their media multi-platform.
  • Reply 93 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Re the bolded part: WHAT ecosystem?



    Re the rest:



    You've just proved my point.



    Microsoft: Windows 7, WinMo 7, Zune, Zune Store, Xbox 360.



    Apple: Mac OS X, iPhone OS, iTunes, iTunes Store, ....Apple TV???



    crazy stuff, its almost like he was right in saying they had an ecosystem.
  • Reply 94 of 450
    imatimat Posts: 153member
    This OS seems to flip, twist, swirl...



    A lot of movement for my taste. And all these "cloud" based updates. I wonder. Will they be updated constantly in the background (consuming battery life) or will it take ages for the OS home screen to download all new mails, feeds, and so on and so forth?



    I don't like the design of the UI, but that is just personal taste. What I fear is that, although on top notch hardware, the OS will take ages to update all the various icons to their new status.



    Navigation seems fine with few apps but I wonder what happens with lots of them.



    Also, this OS seems less "customizable" by carriers compared to previous versions (which, admittedly, were underwhelming). It remains to be seen how carriers will be able (if at all) to customize their phones, and manufacturers as well. Otherwise everyone will compete solely with hardware specs and price, which is what happened with the netbooks.



    I, for one, am not impressed by this OS. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see competition from Redmont. "It's just not my piece of cake" :-)
  • Reply 95 of 450
    Even though I like the Windows Mobile effort at first sight, this is still just a part of a mobile phone experience. Until M$ also designs and manufactures their own phone (hardware) they still have to deal with many different hardware makers.



    In other words, different CPU's, different GPU's, different screen sizes, different speeds, etc, etc. Interesting for app-developers too.



    And then I'm not talking about those traditional "Windows phones" like HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Palm, many of whom either started their own system (and will try to hang on to that) or jumped ship and went to Android.



    Well, I am sure that Ballmer "likes their strategy... He'll like it a lot!"

  • Reply 96 of 450
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyce9000 View Post


    Probably the only reason they wouldn't support mac is they would have to port the Zune software, thereby making it possible to play zune movies and music on a mac. Microsoft seems to have a history of not wanting to make their media multi-platform.



    Yeah i know they would have to port the software but it seems they havent because of the whole "Apple has that on lock" mentality because its on their hardware.



    Personally i doubt its because of the media, but i do know i would uninstall iTunes and its bloated garbage if MS brought the Zune software to Mac.
  • Reply 97 of 450
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,005member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post


    First Nokia&Intel, and then this. Most of all, Apple finally should have some competition to drive new innovation.



    Since when did Apple need any? They are self-motivated to innovate, simple as that. Competition is good for prices I'd agree.
  • Reply 98 of 450
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    (Mobile Word Congress) Just four months after Windows Mobile 6.5 hit the market, Microsoft has officially introduced Windows Phone 7 Series, the new multitouch-capable mobile operating system the software giant hopes will take on Apple's iPhone.



    Windows Phone 7 Series includes "integrated services" that Microsoft has dubbed "Hubs." These are divided into six categories that aim to make it easy for users to gather information: People, Pictures, Games, Music + Video, Marketplace, and Office. The first handsets are expected to arrive in holiday 2010.



    All versions of the hardware will have three buttons on the face: Start, search and back. The dedicated Bing button will allow one-click access to search from anywhere within the phone. Integration with Bing search allows the system to automatically locate the user and allows them to conduct a local search.



    Much like on the iPhone, Windows Phone 7 Series supports pinch to zoom in its maps application. The new mobile operating system also includes integration with Xbox Live and uses the Zune interface and branding for its media player.



    "In a crowded market filled with phones that look the same and do the same things, I challenged the team to deliver a different kind of mobile experience," Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said. "Windows Phone 7 Series marks a turning point toward phones that truly reflect the speed of people?s lives and their need to connect to other people and all kinds of seamless experiences."



    The new software's "Start" screen includes constantly updated "live tiles" that show users real-time content. Microsoft has touted these as "breaking the mold of static icons that serve as an intermediate step on the way to an application."



    For example, creating a tile for a contact would allow live updates on the person, such as newly uploaded Facebook photos or status updates. The information could be gleaned from the Start page without ever loading an application.







    The six hubs in Windows Phone 7 Series were selected because they represent the activities and information that are most important to people, Microsoft said. The following is a breakdown of the hubs included in the new software:



    People: Ties in live feeds from social networks and photos to contacts. Includes a central place to post updates to Facebook and Windows Live.





    Pictures: Allows users to share photos and videos with a social network. Also integrates with the Web and PC, allowing users to view their entire picture and video collection.





    Games: Connects with Xbox Live and plays games. Allows users to see a gamer's Xbox Live avatar, achievements and gamer profile.





    Music + Video: Brings "the best of Zune," Microsoft said, to the mobile phone. Includes online music services, syncing with content from a PC, and a built-in FM radio. Also connects with Zune Social for sharing music.





    Marketplace: Microsoft's own app store gives access to certified applications and games.



    Office: Offers access to Microsoft Office, oneNote and SharePoint Workspace. Users can read, edit and share documents. Also offers access to Outlook Mobile.





    Microsoft has partnered with a number of carriers and manufacturers around the world to bring the first Windows Phone 7 Series handsets to market later this year. Mobile operators include AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone. Manufacturers include Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC Corp., HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm Inc.





    this all looks fine - but the delivery date of Fall is just atrocious? It is meaningless in consumer electronics to present something for 9 months from now.. MEANINGLESS except to try to hold on to something that might be called pride or a customer who is planning WAY AHEAD..



    Even two or three months is an eternity.. Maybe this is a start to show they still WANT TO BE IN THE BUSINESS.. but what else could it mean if they can't deliver what will be obsolete in 9 months pretty soon?



    all speculation about October should be reserved for much more thoughtful discussions of what will be available by then - and it will be more than this.
  • Reply 99 of 450
    I wonder what hardware manufacturers will try to do to differentiate themselves now. I guess since MS says they are going to be picky that there really won't be much differentiation other than base specs. That sounds like the same place that PC manufacturers have been in for the last 20 years. I don't know how much phone manufacturers are going to like that, but then again they may not have a choice if consumers like it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post


    MS isnt in the hardware business but is dictating what be in the hardware. It has to meet certain requirements (3 button layout on all phones, stricter hardware specs) no more overlapping UIs (Sense/TouchWiz gone)



    WinMo 7 will be on many carriers, including VZW



  • Reply 100 of 450
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,005member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.



    Apple can always learn from others and improve.



    If Apple copy anything from Microsoft there is a danger of a feedback loop
Sign In or Register to comment.