Connection issues plague Apple AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bopshwop View Post

I had one of the faulty Airport Extreme base stations and returned it. I can assure you it wasn't working properly. When set up a mere 4 feet from my MacBook Pro with nothing in between it would never select the 5Ghz band when set to "Automatic." If I separated the 5Ghz band into its own SSID, I could connect to it but it would not function reliably. For example, copying a large file to a USB hard drive connected to the AEBS would usually stall for seconds at at time resulting in throughput slower than on the 2.4Ghz band, which worked fine.

I suspect those of you who report having no problems with this product are either not using the latest October 2009 AEBS (with the Marvell chipset) or aren't really testing the product to its limits.

+1

I couldn't say it any better! Im on the third replacement (I know it won't help, but doing it to show apple that something is wrong!). Also the new TC is also affected as they both use the new Marvell chipset which requires fw 7.5... Im glad this issue has started to get some notice!
  • Reply 82 of 90
    those who complain about the high price of the Airport Extreme are probably comparing to "typical" 802.11n routers. These are indeed cheap, and they're also 2.4 GHz-only

Many people think, as I did originally, that "n" routers have 5 GHz but that's not true. Many of those that support 5 GHz are not dual-band, or not simultaneous. Once you narrow the field down to simultaneous dual-band then Apple's price is not far off the competition. Some are cheaper and some more expensive (more or different features also) but they're in the $150 - $200 range.

My AEBS is the model immediately prior to the current one and I bought it specifically for 5 GHz support (replaced a WRT54GL). Streaming music sometimes dropped out with the old one, AEBS has been very solid
  • Reply 83 of 90
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I can't believe people waste money on Apple's wireless base station hardware. The same can be done with third party solutions for far less money. Time Capsule is an overpriced joke. I would much rather backup over FireWire than wireless or Ethernet.

I can't believe people still make blanket statements over things they know nothing about.

Ok, you'd prefer to back up over firewire or ethernet...great. The entire existence of the Time Capsule and Airport is for those who do not want either firewire or ethernet.... (i know, common sense, what a DOOOSEY!)

You get a dual band wireless router (and historically a good one, can't speak for this latest gen) and a large capacity NAS external hd, for the price of less than most NAS solutions.

No matter how you swing it, you're off base.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bopshwop View Post

I suspect those of you who report having no problems with this product are either not using the latest October 2009 AEBS (with the Marvell chipset) or aren't really testing the product to its limits.

I get about 140 Mbps when copying large files. I definitely have the latest one.

Maybe some units were bad and some were ok. I usually have about 5-6 devices connected of around 11 wifi devices in the house.

I'd say plenty of people use this device without testing it to its "true limits". Hard to tell what you mean by that. 50 devices? Keeping the WAN pipe full?

I'm not saying it's not a problem. Just like AT&T service, the people who don't have problems shouldn't assume those that do are incorrect.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliethebug View Post

Hey there!

thanks for the info. I requested AT&T service to let them see how crappy my connection was and I was told that the only way to improve it was to run the exclusivelly thru one DSL one outlet (As I expected, no difference whatsover).

I do have the time capsule DIRECTLY connected to the DSL modem by Ethernet cable: I have tried different cables (also of different lengths) since I bought the TC with no difference. I suppose we'll have to wait on Apple to come thru with a firmware update to fix the 5GHz connection...Too bad they are taking longer and longer to follow thru with customer complaints. What's up with THAT?!

(while we wait for the remainder of the DSL contract to be up to try Uverse and WiMax or hope for TELETRANSPORT...)

Have you tested coping files from one Mac to another? I don't think you want to judge the router as faulty based on slow DSL. I would test it just on your LAN before bringing the possibly (likely) slow DSL into question.

How are you measuring the speed of the 5GHz connection?? Are you measuring when doing a TC backup?
  • Reply 86 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post

Well, 5Ghz never worked well to me with older TC & AE. It was much slower (10x or so) than 2.4GHz. I have no other networks around and no other equipment (live deep in the country side).

Not surprising.

how did you set it up?

and also, how did you connect to your 5ghz network?
  • Reply 87 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I get about 140 Mbps when copying large files. I definitely have the latest one.

Maybe some units were bad and some were ok. I usually have about 5-6 devices connected of around 11 wifi devices in the house.

I'd say plenty of people use this device without testing it to its "true limits". Hard to tell what you mean by that. 50 devices? Keeping the WAN pipe full?

I'm not saying it's not a problem. Just like AT&T service, the people who don't have problems shouldn't assume those that do are incorrect.

well of course we can't assume all of them are like this but I'm soon on my third and if you check the discussion thread some others are on their second or third replacement as well... Just doesn't add up!

And by true limits I don't think he means maxing it out like that, but more testing it continuously to see if the issue comes up.

I had both the "older" AEBS and the newer one and there is definitely something crazy with the new one. I do speed tests against a reliable source to notice the slowdowns but mainly I test by streaming movies from another computer on the network (with buffer of course). Sometimes it works perfectly with the 5 GHz and sometimes it doesn't (lags and gets stuck). Perfect with the old AEBS and on the 2,4 GHz band...
  • Reply 88 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

how did you set it up?

and also, how did you connect to your 5ghz network?

If he followed the thread over at Apple Discussion it was probably by having a separate SSID for 5 GHz band, because this is another issue: The computers usually only connects to the 2,4 GHz band, and no need for the usual walls and absorb talk, I had the older AEBS at exact same location and it worked perfectly!
  • Reply 89 of 90
    Another "no problems" vote. Fixed channel (157), multicast rate 6 Mbps, wide channel selected, transmit power 100%. Large files are transferred with ease to/from three laptops and an Apple TV as long as the receiver is line-of-sight from the AEBS.

Option-Click on the airport icon always shows 300 Mbps if I'm in the same room. But the transfer rate drops off rapidly beyond 40 feet or so and even more dramatically through a wall. Impossible through a floor to the second level of the house.

So, when moving a laptop outside of the family room (where the AEBS is located), I routinely switch to the 2.4GHz band...it's much, much faster than the 5GHz band when the signal is transiting walls and/or floors.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    My TC works very well for me. I just wish it had a FW port.