Apple patent filing for improved lenses shows forward facing camera

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Read the review at iLounge on the 1st gen iPod Touch - it was definitely inferior compared to the iPhone in its iPod functionality. I'm not going on with this any further. Many a consumer was very upset when the 2nd gen came out as it was leaps beyond the first gen.

I don't need to read the iLounge review. I have both 1st generation and 3rd generation units myself.

Do you? (The sample sizes would be similar anyhow.)

Frankly, your lack of follow through makes your comments suspect.

I'm an AAPL stockholder myself (purchased shares in Feb 2005) and I have seen steady overall improvement in shareholder value. If any significant product in the past five years had been a major debacle, I would have felt something, but I'm happy to report that you are completely wrong.

Do *YOU* own AAPL shares?
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I don't need to read the iLounge review. I have both 1st generation and 3rd generation units myself.

Do you? (The sample sizes would be similar anyhow.)

Frankly, your lack of follow through makes your comments suspect.

I'm an AAPL stockholder myself (purchased shares in Feb 2005) and I have seen steady overall improvement in shareholder value. If any significant product in the past five years had been a major debacle, I would have felt something, but I'm happy to report that you are completely wrong.

Do *YOU* own AAPL shares?

I don't care if you're the biggest shareholder of them all, SJ himself- the 1st gen iPod Touch sucked - BIG TIME. It was a beta prototype of the real Touch which was the 2nd gen. ANybody who buys a 1st gen Apple product is in for a MAJOR disappointment in 6 months - guaranteed.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it can be mass produced right now, even lab production seems tenuous. I don't think it needs to autofocus though, but even removing that, it's not an easy task. The patent people are talking about is basically a compound eye, each camera is the size of a pixel, several of them in a grid at a 10pixel spacing. The fab process can't be easy, and there is a lot of processing, probably be a few years before a hand held device has the power to stitch together 16 video feeds in real time. Then you still have "dark" spots on the screen because you knocked out pixels for the cameras.

That's why I say it really wasn't economically feasible at this time.

Some/all of the actual technology might be available today, but it's the cost of getting it into the market.

We've already seen practically every single TV manufacturer bail out of OLED displays for the time being.

Yes, we will see OLED displays (or a similar technology) in the near future, but $2500 pricetags for 10-14" TVs isn't acceptable to the consumer marketplace.

If Apple manufactured a tablet that covered all of AppleInsider commenters' requests (power, screen size, battery life, memory, CPU speed, etc.), it would probably cost $3-5 thousand dollars per unit.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

So maybe Apple will release a front-facing camera after the Motorola Backflip ships?

Front-facing is a gimmick and unnecessary feature if Apple doesn't do it, but if Apple copies everyone else in this arena, they are the "most innovative company ever".

If Apple does it, it will work well, whereas it is a cheap gimmick for the 2nd tier 'competition.'
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:

I don't care if you're the biggest shareholder of them all, SJ himself- the 1st gen iPod Touch sucked - BIG TIME. It was a beta prototype of the real Touch which was the 2nd gen. ANybody who buys a 1st gen Apple product is in for a MAJOR disappointment in 6 months - guaranteed.

How so? Just about every review I have read about the 1st gen. iPod Touch has been positive. They seem to have held their value well also.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

No sorry it isn't. The only thing guaranteed is that you will wake up tomorrow and bash Apple some more.