Apple's 'overtly sexual' iPhone crackdown purges 5,000 apps

1235710

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aep528 View Post


    Except for the iPhone/iPod App Store being a monopoly, you mean.



    I was referring only to the decision to ban apps with an "overtly sexual" nature. I actually think they could (in an ethical sense) defend their monopoly App store much more easily than this latest decision, even if I don't agree with the spirit of either. You know, reducing potential for viruses and exploitations and all that hype. And don't forget the snappiness!
  • Reply 82 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post


    Again, seriously, if you can't take to the internet to find the kind of nudity you want than this is really a non-issue. If you want pictures go to google, if you want video I'm sure you can google "iPhone video porm" (spelling intentional since I'm at work) or something like that and I'm quite certain you won't get taken to a whole bunch of crazy blind links. If you're incapable of browsing the internet without finding yourself with a dozen pop-ups then, well, I think you need to figure out how to browse more efficiently.



    LOL spot on. Totally agree.
  • Reply 83 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aep528 View Post


    So then they are going to remove all R-rated movies and songs with explicit lyrics from iTunes, right?



    The "for the schools" argument makes no sense, because the devices should be locked down. The iTunes accounts (and passwords) would belong to the schools, so how would the students be able to download unauthorized apps and iTunes content?



    right on.
  • Reply 84 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aep528 View Post


    Playboy and Sport Illustrated and Maxim are parts of very large companies with well-paid lawyers. Small development companies or individuals? Much easier targets.





    Yes, I agree.



    Apple is targeting the weaker developers as to reduce it's risk to a lawsuit that's going to come out of this.
  • Reply 85 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post


    It's a smart phone. It's one of many smart phones. Do you even know what a monopoly is? I know people like to throw around words like unethical, immoral, monopoly, censor but, in virtually every instance, none of these (legally) apply to the subject as hand. Just like this one - there is absolutely nothing illegal about this.



    Who said anything about illegal except you? No one has said Apple is acting illegally, not even borderline illegally. No one. Why should legality be the only concern when deciding if a decision is a good decision or not? Why can't we discuss the ethics and morals of a legal decision?
  • Reply 86 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheralSadurns View Post


    That's total BS... there already ARE enough pages that do NOT depend on Flash and have converted their content to be available to iPhone users. Just like Youtube did.



    But I'm not here to name them for you...



    Tube8 comes to mind....
  • Reply 87 of 194
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Great move.



    Considering the following potential audiences.
    • iPod touch/iPhone owners; millions of children

    • Public school students: hundreds of million

    • Public School Libraries: millions

    • Publishers/magazines/text books; thousands/millions/hundreds of thousand

    • Family homes anti-overt sexual content: billions

    • Enterprise: millions of employees



      vs

    • Family homes pro/neutral-overt sexual content: handful

    • AI trollers/mac haters: unfortunately they are all here

    Do the math.



    Nicely summed up.
  • Reply 88 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Because there is no guarantee that it works.



    Even if you block your kid, his best buddy may not be.



    And there is nothing to stop anybody from getting their own iTunes Store account.



    Weak doesn't even describe your response to his question.
  • Reply 89 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slantsixx View Post


    If they had made an adult section so there wouldn't be boob apps in every single category, then that would be fine.





    Everyone here talks about their "right to free speech." Well guess what? The courts have long ruled that companies are people, and they have the same rights that you have. And guess what else? THEIR right to free speech means that they can do what they want; their right to do what they want trumps your right for them to do what YOU want.



    What if I wanted you to sell porn? I'm sure some of you would gladly, but just because I want you to do it does not mean that your are required, or even inclined to do it.





    Apple has the right to do what they want, including running their business into the ground.





    Apple totally ignored the 3D gaming market for decades, as a result PC's became the 3D gamers platform of choice and resulted in Microsoft making the X-Box.



    Now that the iPhone and iPod Touch comes out, what do people use them for mostly? Games. (big fscking opps there!)



    Pr0n is big business, Apple has a opportunity to make a mint if it channels it correctly for their devices. People want clean quality content, displayed quickly with no blind links, tricks or exploits or having to buy more or sign up for anything.



    Pr0n could sell more iPads than schools would/could ever buy.
  • Reply 90 of 194
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Somehow I can't imagine Steve Ballmer objecting to porn on his MS tablet:







    Agree
  • Reply 91 of 194
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    And the great Apple wall of censorship grows higher.



    Those defending censorship need to remember that this is a slippery slope. Once you head down the path of censoring you end up like Australia, and then China. How long before Apple bans violent games? Or political apps? Or anything which deters people from spending money in the iTunes store?



    Open is always, always, ALWAYS better than closed. There really shouldn't be any debate about that.
  • Reply 92 of 194
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The developer has expressed disappointment with Apple, as they claim "Wobble" does not include any offending images when installed. Instead, the application allows users to select their own pictures and add "jiggle points" to photos. The application has been downloaded more than 970,000 times.



    This isn't fair for them. Wobble isn't any worse than an image editing app. It can be equally applied to inoffensive images as it can to boobs:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4r-ChZE-9E

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlpLEbMjLQ



    It just works better with boobs. But the point stands that no offensive images are shipped with the app, they are pulled from the photo library.



    If it has sexual references that perhaps imply the usage on boobs then fair enough but after those are removed, it should be back. I don't mind Apple cleaning up the app store, it certainly needs it but they need to do it with some common sense and consistent rules.
  • Reply 93 of 194
    People love to pick on Apple. They're kicking ass and will continue to do so. The only people that lament this move are 1) those who love porn, and you know what kind of people they are; and 2) the censorship concern trolls who love to slam Apple no matter what they do, but won't point the finger at other media outlets. Please, if you're so freaking concerned, let's see you all join a censorship group that addresses the issue across the board.



    Move along, there's nothing to see here. Apple will continue to make the right moves and we'll all buy our hardware and our apps. It's all good.
  • Reply 94 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    And the great Apple wall of censorship grows higher.



    Those defending censorship need to remember that this is a slippery slope. Once you head down the path of censoring you end up like Australia, and then China. How long before Apple bans violent games? Or political apps? Or anything which deters people from spending money in the iTunes store?



    Open is always, always, ALWAYS better than closed. There really shouldn't be any debate about that.



    You're a bit late to the party dude. Censorship exists in the world, in one form or another. I'm not defending it, but I am defending Apple.



    Watched any porn on ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox lately?
  • Reply 95 of 194
    This response is completely off the mark.



    The OP stated that the items pulled were not pornographic, and essentially were of the calibre of something one would be able to see on any network television (we let our children watch drivel like one tree hill and gossip girl, and don't get me started on all this reality TV bullcrap...) but then items are pulled from the apple store that don't even rate PG-13?



    But the real point is you responded with items that were blatantly pornographic in order to drive the point you wished to make by ignoring the point that was made.



    W get this enough in our network news. Let's not repeat what we have witnessed and condemned.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post


    Really? So if someone owns a small grocery store and one day decides to stop selling, Playboy, Penthouse, hell Hightimes and Biker mags because the locals complain about them, does that make him wrong as well? It's the exact same thing.



  • Reply 96 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post


    People love to pick on Apple. They're kicking ass and will continue to do so. The only people that lament this move are 1) those who love porn, and you know what kind of people they are; and 2) the censorship concern trolls who love to slam Apple no matter what they do, but won't point the finger at other media outlets. Please, if you're so freaking concerned, let's see you all join a censorship group that addresses the issue across the board.



    Move along, there's nothing to see here. Apple will continue to make the right moves and we'll all buy our hardware and our apps. It's all good.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post


    You're a bit late to the party dude. Censorship exists in the world, in one form or another. I'm not defending it, but I am defending Apple.



    Watched any porn on ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox lately?



    This article was not talking about P0RN.
  • Reply 97 of 194
    ibillibill Posts: 392member
    Anybody care to explain why the need for porn apps on their phone?



    Just wondering.
  • Reply 98 of 194
    bwikbwik Posts: 562member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Great move.



    Considering the following potential audiences.
    • iPod touch/iPhone owners; millions of children

    • Public school students: hundreds of million

    • Public School Libraries: millions

    • Publishers/magazines/text books; thousands/millions/hundreds of thousand

    • Family homes anti-overt sexual content: billions

    • Enterprise: millions of employees



      vs

    • Family homes pro/neutral-overt sexual content: handful

    • AI trollers/mac haters: unfortunately they are all here

    Do the math.



    So I suppose they will ban "overtly violent" shooter games as well. Oh wait... No?
  • Reply 99 of 194
    bwikbwik Posts: 562member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post


    Anybody care to explain why the need for porn apps on their phone?



    Just wondering.





    Porn is one of the top uses of all IT technology. There are some very obscure topics addressed on the iPhone. Porn is not, an never has been, a marginal category of IT utilization. We are just dealing with a sick American value system that accepts violence, (decapitations, executions, true anti-social filth) but separates sexual topics as if they are somehow dangerous or objectionable. Which, generally speaking, they're not.



    Pictures of ugly people having sex might be objectionable, of course.
  • Reply 100 of 194
    bwikbwik Posts: 562member
    We all know what Apple really wants... to take over the soft core prn market for itself.
Sign In or Register to comment.