Apple releases new iPhone ads, Mac cracks top 5 in France

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

iPhone is the No. 1 smart phone in France as well according to Tim Cook.

According to Wikipedia the first French Apple Store opening only a few months ago on November 7, 2009. There are now 2 stores with a staggering 24 more planned. That would put in on par with the UK, which opened its first Apple Store back in 2004. That is a dramatic change on supporting the French. I have to wonder if the dramatic iPhone sales were the catalyst for this decision to build out stores and the Mac interest among the French.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    The only way that guy was installing Monopoly was if he was on a WiFi network. Even with AT&T's new 20MB limit, that game is still too big to download on 3G.

Nevermind....He is on a WiFi network, but what's the point. I'm sure any phone with WiFi could browse or download during a call if they are connected to WiFi.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Sorry for feeding, but in this case I felt compelled, by way of a simple slightly sarcastic response to the Tekstud, to point out that the iPhone, lacking, as we have heard ad-nauseum, multi-tasking, will often double task, and along with full context saving. A method that provides many (but of course not all) of the benefits of multi-tasking without most of the pitfalls.

There was no need to imply that I am a fool, for making a valid statement. This forum is starting to become boring.

Very fair point. And please know that I had no intention of making it sound like the person was being a 'fool.' Sorry if it came through that way. It was just a general comment about how there is sufficient newbie traffic on forums such as these that just end up repeatedly feeding those that did not need to be fed.

I've been guilty of it too.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Just had to point out ~ did anyone think of the pun on "cracks"? Given the iMac 27" issue?

Anyway to let you all know, I have been off the AppleInsider grid... Been into some Trance/Progressive music, met some DJs on the scene, met a girl [feel free to say "oooohhh"] and trying to find time for Mass Effect 2 on PC.

Take care.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Le iMac

I thought it would be called "Royale with Mac" in France.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I wish I could run 2 apps at once rather than a phone call and an app simultaneously.

Hi Stud! Not banished (again) yet?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just had to point out ~ did anyone think of the pun on "cracks"? Given the iMac 27" issue?

Anyway to let you all know, I have been off the AppleInsider grid... Been into some Trance/Progressive music, met some DJs on the scene, met a girl [feel free to say "oooohhh"] and trying to find time for Mass Effect 2 on PC.

Take care.

You will be missed, but I'm sure everyone understands. My vacation keeps getting delayed so I'm a little jealous.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to research firm Gartner, Apple shipped 182,000 machines in the fourth quarter of 2009, earning the company a 5.5 percent total market share in France. Apple's emergence in fifth place came as a result of 43.5 percent year-over-year growth in the market.

Apple's success in Western Europe went well beyond France, with Gartner finding that the Cupertino, Calif., company saw a large increase in Mac shipments in the fourth quarter of 2009. However, the Mac maker did not crack the top five in any other countries in Western Europe.

Yeah. We had no doubts either new Apple Stores, having been placed in school campuses or somewhere around there, would work.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Le iMac

Probably L'iMac...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Bonjour from Paris,

Despite good sales numbers, the iMac introduction in France was a complete failure due to its unavailability and lack of communication.

I placed an order on Dec 10th, 2009 to a major French reseller (FNAC) with confirmed delivery for X-mas and a -10% rebate. On Dec 23rd, nothing. No gift under the tree: failed X-mas

On Dec 26th, I received a mail to tell me the iMac wasn't available and that a new delivery date couldn't be set.

On January 10th, 2010, still no news . So I cancelled my order.

So next time Apple launches a new product, a very strong improvement in logistics, quality and availability will be needed .

Otherwise, Apple would be just another hi-tech standard player with vapourware .
  • Reply 31 of 32
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    So what's all this business that the iPhone can't multi-task.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Admittedly among other things, I've just read a sports-commentator description of the content of two ads. The mind boggles.

1. Advertisement is excrement. Thus far, the English language has had no need for a word to describe the exegesis of feces. You appear intent on changing that. Why?

2. It's bad enough that 99% of journalism now consists of the quoting press releases. May we now expect the rest to consist of transcriptions of ads?

Worse still, the bizarrely intriguing "Mac cracks top 5 in France" is mentioned but goes unexamined. Is it Mac season in Provence? Or did Microsoft commit some public gaffe concerning wine? I guess we'll never know.

Any chance y'all could write less, better? If you're actually under the impression that more is more, may I recommend a quick visit to peopleofwalmart.com?