iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 3 simplifies app conversion for iPads

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released, then pulled, an update to its iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit, making it easier ensure iPhone and iPod touch applications will work on the forthcoming iPad.



The third beta for the iPad mobile operating system allows "existing iPhone projects to include the necessary files to support" the iPad. It was released to developers under a non-disclosure agreement Tuesday afternoon.



Update: Minutes after it was available for download, Apple pulled beta 3 of the SDK without explanation.



The second beta was released Feb. 9, while the first SDK came out immediately after Apple's iPad announcement. The SDK includes an iPad simulator that allows developers to test their new applications.



Apple has also launched a new Universal Application binary format for applications in the iPhone OS. It allows developers to deliver a single application that can take full advantage of the features of the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad by wrapping the code into the same package for easy distribution and management.



First revealed in January, iPhone OS 3.2 is currently for the iPad only. It does not yet support the iPhone or iPod touch.



A select few had the opportunity to test out iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad at Apple's unveiling of the device in late January. It was there that AppleInsider spent time with Safari, along with the mail and calendar apps, and keyboard, VGA and camera accessories. For more in-depth coverage, read the exclusive hands-on with pictures and videos.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    That's exactly what they needed to do.



    I've heard a few developers state they want to be able to deliver a Universal Binary for iPhone/iPad support.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Here's hoping for iPhone OS 4.0 early.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Universal applications were in Beta 2.



    Anyway, Apple has pulled Beta 3; it's no longer online.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post


    Universal applications were in Beta 2.



    Anyway, Apple has pulled Beta 3; it's no longer online.



    Ah yes, thanks. I couldn't find it, myself, and was wondering if it had been pulled.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

    Apple has also launched a new Universal Application binary format for applications in the iPhone OS. It allows developers to deliver a single application that can take full advantage of the features of the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad by wrapping the code into the same package for easy distribution and management.



    I wonder if this means apps will now be 2X or 3X larger.



    If so, it's a good thing AT&T recently doubled the max. size of app downloads to 20 MB.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I wonder if this means apps will now be 2X or 3X larger.



    If so, it's a good thing AT&T recently doubled the max. size of app downloads to 20 MB.



    The app download limit was always a bit interesting because the same device can be sued to stream media.



    In any event apps that use lots of graphics and images will likely be much larger. I expect these to be sold in iPad only versions as needed. However I suspect many apps will be fine as long as common AI's are used. At least for initial roll out.



    You see the problem is that the screen size here makes a huge difference here. So I would expect that even common programs will start to incorporate iPad specific code and data. It will be an urge that is hard to resist. After a while many developers might just say screw it and offer up iPad specific apps just to ease their development demands.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I wonder if this means apps will now be 2X or 3X larger.



    If so, it's a good thing AT&T recently doubled the max. size of app downloads to 20 MB.



    I strongly suspect that most large applications are not large due to the size of their executables but because of the data that is packaged with them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Beta 3 is back online at iPhone Dev Center. Downloading now.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I wonder if this means apps will now be 2X or 3X larger.



    If so, it's a good thing AT&T recently doubled the max. size of app downloads to 20 MB.



    Just download them into your Mac, or use WiFi. I rarely download apps thru 3G.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post


    I strongly suspect that most large applications are not large due to the size of their executables but because of the data that is packaged with them.



    Which is exactly why some universal binaries will be a lot bigger, since you'd probably want to use higher resolution bitmaps and textures for the iPad version.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    The beta 3 SDK is now back in the iPhone Dev Center with a date of Feb 23
Sign In or Register to comment.