iPad has no camera, but Apple's SDK mentions video chat, flash

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RnSK View Post

As...painfully obvious as this should be, I cannot figure out why folks havent figured out that having a camera in something designed to be used at near-flat angles pointing up at you, both distorting your face and shooting up your nose is exactly the stupid kind of poor UX that you get from armchair designers, blogger pundits and whiney forum commenters that do not actually think about these things

-K

Thinking isn't their job. Theirs is whining.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Real industry insiders and pundits explain that camera wasn't keynoted only because Steve wasn't comfortable enough with showing his nasal hair to everybody around the world... While lucky iPad owners will undoubtedly be able to...

Apple would never put a camera in any of their products that had enough resolution to do that, so it would never be a problem.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RnSK View Post

As...painfully obvious as this should be, I cannot figure out why folks havent figured out that having a camera in something designed to be used at near-flat angles pointing up at you, both distorting your face and shooting up your nose is exactly the stupid kind of poor UX that you get from armchair designers, blogger pundits and whiney forum commenters that do not actually think about these things

-K

Some people are adaptable and can change what they do and how they do it to suit the circumstances. Faced with a video skype call - the only sort I do - I would just hold an iPad at right angles, as I am sure anyone else would too. I don't have the screen on my Macbook at the same angle when making a video call, as I do in normal use.

Also, if the iPad were being used on the stand with the keyboard you would have a good angle also.

Funnily enough, I have been known to both design and make things on occasion.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Apple would never put a camera in any of their products that had enough resolution to do that, so it would never be a problem.

No, no, probably not.

P.S. There's always facial recognition and blur as viable Plan B.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradleysm View Post

Video chat is one of those things that people only want for the cool factor of having it, not because it has any real use most of the time.

And then ChatRoulette arrived on the scene.

C.

PS. Please do not go to Chatroulette unless you are over 18 and have a strong constitution.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Video conferencing makes no sense on the iPad. I agree with Daniel's Myth Busting.

Here's a test for you to show what I mean.
    1. Grab a magazine and hold it out in front of you and hold it there for five minutes

2. Now lower it down to your lap and look down at it for five minutes.

How do your arms and neck feel? I bet they don't feel good do they? Now apply that to the dimensions and weight of the iPad and you'll start to see why this is a dumb idea. Add to that it isn't designed to replace a desktop or laptop and not all units will have 3G therefore conferencing will be limited to WiFi it makes more sense to use a desktop or laptop for conferencing.

Who says you have to hold the iPad to do video conferencing. Looks like one of the accessories Apple will be selling is a stand.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why does the camera have to be built in? Apple can sell one as an accessory.

And plug it in where? With a separate long cord winding down and attaching to the underside iPod connector...which therefore can't be used when it's plugged in to a keyboard or charger? What a ridiculous and clunky solution to something that could so easily have been integrated for very little cost...I still can't believe they missed this one....
  • Reply 68 of 70
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Maybe Apple in their newfound puritanism decided that a camera was most likely to be used for nothing but web-sex most of the time, so they decided to ditch it...or some such bollocks.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Ah I don't think Apple has ditched the udea of camera for the web-sex as you have stated. Whatever.. BTW I had a question that everyone said that flash support with iPad is just a fake news created by Apple people. Is it true??
  • Reply 70 of 70
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't get the reasoning that Apple would leave an integral component like the front facing camera up to a 3rd party. The same logic could be applied to any of it's components, particularly the storage (why not use SDHC cards?)