Intuit intros long-awaited Quicken overhaul for Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Are there any reliable references for how securely maintained passwords entered into these programs and on-line systems are?

It is very difficult/impossible to recover lost or stolen funds from a bank account. I don't know what basis any of us has for entrusting their life savings to any of these systems. I can only imagine the risk might be acceptable for true credit card accounts, where federal protections apply, but not for debit cards or any other form of savings or money market account.

Couldn't Agree More!

They seem to all about wanting to get there hands on your Data. but then when there is a data Breech and all data is compromised, they wait months before saying anything and then offer you free Credit Monitoring services HA!

Who Monitors the Monitors?

from Enemy of The State.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    Too little too late to fall in love again.

Intuit, bite me!
  • Reply 63 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Ummm, I can do same thing with Mint.com... FOR FREE! And the User Interface is much easier to use on Mint.

Really? so you can enter transactions before they clear your bank? Not on Mint you don't.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    Well, let's see.

I use my bank's online bill pay system. I suspect most others do, too. Trouble is, I then enter all of my transactions by hand in to Quicken because I do not like the download feature. So, no loss of bill pay, for me.

Direct integration with TurboTax? Well, I suspect that it will let us Export a tax file as it does now. Then, we could import that into TurboTax. Could anyone say if this is correct?

What about stocks, though? The article says that the new version is "a view only version that doesn't have tax lot accounting." What does that mean? Can we enter stock trades, or not? Does it track stock trades correctly? It sounds like it doesn't.

I have bet a couple of college-age kids who tell me they don't use accounting software; they just rely on their bank's online information. Is this a trend among the young? Am I too old?
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Well, let's see.

I use my bank's online bill pay system. I suspect most others do, too. Trouble is, I then enter all of my transactions by hand in to Quicken because I do not like the download feature. So, no loss of bill pay, for me.

Direct integration with TurboTax? Well, I suspect that it will let us Export a tax file as it does now. Then, we could import that into TurboTax. Could anyone say if this is correct?

What about stocks, though? The article says that the new version is "a view only version that doesn't have tax lot accounting." What does that mean? Can we enter stock trades, or not? Does it track stock trades correctly? It sounds like it doesn't.

I have bet a couple of college-age kids who tell me they don't use accounting software; they just rely on their bank's online information. Is this a trend among the young? Am I too old?

From what I understand you can view your Portfolio but not enter individual trades etc....
  • Reply 66 of 93
    It is a sad state of affairs, at least re Intuit/Quicken.

Missing rather core features of tax software integration (Yes - Intuit is the vendor of TurboTax), and investment, etc (as noted by others) - leaving that stuff out just seems kind of dumb.

... Announcing: Two + years in the making and now you get ... LESS ...

FYI, I just looked at the iBank page, since people here mentioned it (I don't use that) and it lists TurboTax integration, and SRP is 60, $10 less than new Quicken.

What are those folks thinking at intuit.

Guess this is going to keep the need for Win virtualization software for many folks.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    Try Yodlee- They are the back end of the bank of America online banking. They also are the back end for MINT.

It is free and works well.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    I strongly disagree with the pricing of the product, but I'm actually tempted to get it for a couple of reasons. 1) If nobody buys it, then there's no incentive for them to improve it. 2) it's becoming apparent that over the next 5 years Quicken will unify their backends into a cloud-based solution, and this seems like the first design phase of that move. I think it's worth it to have Mint's features in an offline format with the last 9 years of my financial data in tact, especially if that's my gateway to a universal experience in a few years where I can access my data on Linux and everywhere else.

Honestly, I replaced Quicken 2006 with MoneyDance a few years ago and, while the experience isn't as frustrating as Quicken, I also find that I haven't been as productive. With another baby on the way, being productive rather than stressing with a Java app is becoming increasingly important to me.

One question though, for those that have tried it, does it even support split transactions? I mean, I want to track my paycheck taxes and so on...
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I can't believe they have made no move after 3 years of the iPhone. Maybe they will now that iPad is coming around and will create a larger base.

I pretty much track my money with SplashMoney on the iPhone and use Quicken to download historical data. The iPhone version is good, but I'd tell everyone to avoid the desktop version like a fatal disease, which IT IS to your data. Still, doing it all (get e-bills, pay & record) on the iPhone is fan-friggin-tastic.

Not having pocket quicken for the iphone is silly. how many palm OS users were there compared to the iphone users today?

I can see how everyone is upset with quicken desktop being a neutered app. Fortunately I don't use the missing feature, although I do keep my personal records separate from my business.

Thanks for the app recommendations though. I'll check them out and I won't check out splash money desktop. LOL

For anyone looking into invoicing I've grown fond of Billings. Not the same thing at all, but the mobil app is nice and synchs to the desktop version very much like pocket quicken would.

A great companion to payware mobil which connects to a credit card reader from verifone for the iphone. it'll save you a few points on the rates because you actually scan the card just like a fixed terminal.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:

I strongly disagree with the pricing of the product, but I'm actually tempted to get it for a couple of reasons...

Suggestion: buy Quicken 2007. That will send the message that Mac users are buying, but that 2010QE is worthless.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Looks like I'll be sticking with Quicken 2004 - at least until the G5 iMac holds out anyway..

My Quicken 2004 runs fine on PB G4, 10.4.11. I Download my Bank and Credit Cards as QIF Files, and Import them from within Quicken. Works fine!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Q2004 does all that I need to do...entering expenses so that I can use categories. I can check my spending during the year and know what is tax deductible for the year. I can search for past expenses to compare. I don't need to connect to any bank or integrate it with my checkbook. It actually make life simpler this way. It works fine on my MacBook intel.

Exactly same with me. Please someone confirm that all I have to do is insert my Quicken 2004 CD into MacBook Pro, when I buy one, Install it there, under Snow Leopard, or whatever OS it'll be this coming Summer 2010, and my Quicken 2004 file will run OK on it?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the answer is YES, cause someone already did just that!

As to iPhone. It'd be great to have Quicken companion app on it, so that, if I am on a go, and just bought something with cash, I can enter that transaction, and it would sync with my Desktop via Mobile Me, WiFi, USB, all of the above, and vs., so that both apps are always in sync! If such sync doesn't or won't exist with Quicken on Mac, which app should I be migrating to, when I upgrade from my PB G4, 10.4.11 to Macbook Pro?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Not having pocket quicken for the iphone is silly. how many palm OS users were there compared to the iphone users today?

I can see how everyone is upset with quicken desktop being a neutered app. Fortunately I don't use the missing feature, although I do keep my personal records separate from my business.

Thanks for the app recommendations though. I'll check them out and I won't check out splash money desktop. LOL

I hope Intuit/Quicken is reading this Forum... I recently saw NY Times' David Pogue criticize it too... So, it's not like we here on this Forum are the only one's who are concerned!
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kepardue View Post

1) If nobody buys it, then there's no incentive for them to improve it.

If the result, as described, is their long-delayed "overhaul," then I wouldn't put much stock in future "improvements." This product should have never taken so long to develop, and it sure as heck shouldn't cost $70. With a little brain grease, you can easily ape everything it does. I mean, no integration with TurboTax?!!? What the heck are they smoking???

(Apparently, Adobe's Mac porters -- I mean, "developers" -- are smoking the same stuff, which seems to make people apathetic to actual work and accomplishment.)
  • Reply 73 of 93
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Worst of all, Bill Campbell (CEO of Intuit) was just re-elected to Apple's Board of Directors:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...directors.html

• Reply 74 of 93
    I was a beta tester for financial life and I told them the same thing I'm saying now: you shouldn't have to pay a premium for Quicken on the Mac and then settle for a product so anemic in features as compared to the Windows version as to make it unusable and certainly not worth the price. I just don't understand the Quicken software model: yes they have a product that seems to work pretty well on the Windows platform but when you look at it closely, there is no consistency in the menus, the dialog boxes, the core "logical focus" of the code; it just seems to ramble from one task to the other, as inelegantly as one might expect from a product that has more "post-it note" subroutines than a Morman family refrigerator. I agree that it would be fun to see how Apple would do it, but I don't think it would be any better than Mint, and Mint is now owned by Intuit, so I suppose we can expect that product to be dumbed-down over the next few years.

And don't get me started on how schizophrenic Quickbooks Pro is.

There's an elegant software solution for finance out there somewhere, but Mint is right now as close as it gets and Quicken's new Mac product is on the other side of the galaxy: a cold and desolate space.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

They seem to all about wanting to get there hands on your Data. but then when there is a data Breech and all data is compromised, they wait months before saying anything and then offer you free Credit Monitoring services HA!

And it's as if identity theft is the big concern. Theft of one's life savings with no hope of recovery is a far bigger concern... unless of course one has no savings.
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

The fact that Intuit owns Mint.com now is probably a good indicator that Mint.com is on its way out too.

You might be interested in the following

In the on-air discussion, Patzer [mint.com CEO, now in charge of all Quicken products] said Intuit plans to keep selling desktop versions of Quicken for Windows PCs and Apple (AAPL) Macs for perhaps five years further.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Here's is how bad it was when I tried it-

it didn't even have password protection.

Unbelievable!
  • Reply 78 of 93
    I've been on the Beta for well over a year... there's a story to be told, I can tell you.

It's truly awful, slow, offers no loan funtions, no mortgage tracking, no securities transactions, and not even securities balance tracking unless you can download them directly... I won't even mention the fact there are no reports (apart from listing of transaction... no graphs, customized pie charts, net worth tracking over time... nothing) or bill pay... oh I did mention it.

And all this, for MORE money than the entry level Windows version that has all of those features. Disgraceful. Aside from all that, they'll only support it for 5 years before shuffling everyone on to Mint - that isn't a guess from me, this is what they've told Quicken Inner Circle members quite openly.

I recommend iBank 3.5 (or stick with Windows) if you need serious financial software. I think Intuit have lost a lot of friends and possibly a lot of customers. If it were $29.99, then I'd buy it just to show some good faith... but $70? I'd be better off spending it on Parallels.
  • Reply 79 of 93
    "Quicken Essentials for Mac is the first Quicken product to take full advantage of the Mac operating system and development platform," said Aaron Patzer, vice president and general manager of Intuit?s Personal Finance Group.

Given that Intuit has been producing vaguely Maccish apps for decades, I'm sure they must feel just wonderful about that. I know how proud I was when, at age 24, I finally got the hang of tying my shoes.

Guess Apple's recent freakish profit margins just have made an impression.

I just hope they've retained their insanity with regard to command+A. Quicken has always been one of perhaps 5 apps on earth that persists on doing its own very special thing with what's arguably the most common Mac keyboard shortcut of all time, and at this late date, grandma's drooling is kind of touching and I'd hate to see it stop.

I mean really, if Intuit cleans up their act, what are we going to do with all these bibs, adult diapers, and rubber sheets? I guess we could call customer service to ask, wait on hold for a total of 90 minutes, four disconnects, and 3 impenetrable language barriers, before finding out that no one in Bangalore has every heard of the product.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

What I can't understand is why the former CEO of Intuit is on Apple's board, given the lackluster Mac support the company has historically provided. Can't he pull a little weight?

http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit...l_campbell.jsp

I have been wondering that for years. It's ridiculous.

I have 2 shares of Apple stock. To show my disdain for this guy, I ALWAYS withhold my vote for Bill Campbell as a board member. I know it doesn't do any good, but it makes me feel a little better.