Apple reveals plans to open 25 retail stores in China

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Too bad it doesn't have handwriting recognition.

Handwriting to enter Chinese characters already exists on iPhone/iPod Touch, I use it regularly and it works very well. With faster CPU and bigger screen on iPad, it should work even better.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I heard that there was another planned for France this year bringing the total to 3. When are the rest coming?

If you are interested in store status, check out ifoapplestore.com

The last rumors were two more locations in Paris, one each in Nice and Lyon, all probably before the end of the year. And in Marseille in a shopping center being built. Late 2011 at the earliest.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Too bad it doesn't have handwriting recognition.

I for one wouldn't benefit ... after 30 years with a keyboard I've long since lost the ability to handwrite other than a bad scrawl for a signature ...
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

If you are interested in store status, check out ifoapplestore.com

The last rumors were two more locations in Paris, one each in Nice and Lyon, all probably before the end of the year. And in Marseille in a shopping center being built. Late 2011 at the earliest.

Do the staff in the Paris Apple Stores pretend they don't speak English?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

They better open one in Hong Kong, I've been waiting for one for quite a while...

While i think it is reasonable to open one in Hong Kong, their Price for Store Lease is outrageous. As a matter of fact, this is similar in China as well.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Opening new stores in places like China with fast growing per capita income, hi population density makes the most sense. Right now their per capita income is around $3,000 but there is huge segment that has serious money... even if it is 100M people and concentrated in big cities.

Still. I think Apple needs to sell an unlocked phone for the mass market... like a 3GS for $400.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The Apple machine keeps on rolling. I agree the iPad will probably result in many copy-cats in China, but it should be a great tool for Chinese character input.

I suspect the best tool for entering character input is still the keyboard.

That was certainly the case when I lived my life in Japanese.

Given that keyboard navigation isn't one of Apple's strengths, there's room to get this very wrong as well as very right.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do the staff in the Paris Apple Stores pretend they don't speak English?

No, but maybe they pretend that the world's documents are formatted for iWork, rather than MS Office.

These days many French people, especially in business, speak english very well.

So maybe there's hope for Apple too.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I suspect the best tool for entering character input is still the keyboard.

That was certainly the case when I lived my life in Japanese.

Given that keyboard navigation isn't one of Apple's strengths, there's room to get this very wrong as well as very right.

5 mins after i show how to input chinese character on iphone to a 70+ year old, he can start to do it himself. it takes a bit longer for him to get used to send IM using PINYIN.

when ipad was announced, he sent an email to me to ask whether ipad supports the same chinese input as that on iphone. to him ipad is perfect because it is much bigger than iphone. for a 70yo it is tough to sit in front of computer and he does not want to use many features on a laptop either. so ipad is what he needs for browsing web and email etc.

the only thing he wants extra is the camera which he would like to use to do video chat.