Apple iPad production hit by 'manufacturing bottleneck' - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icesnake View Post

What's the problem? Is there a shortage of child labor in the Apple factories? Or did the fact that the number of people who "definitely want" the iPad dropped after they found out what the product is make Jobs decide he needed to work harder on his Jedi mind control kills, and put production on the back burner?

Do. Not. Want. In fact, after the multiple iTunes debacles and the AT&T iPhone lock-in, I don't ever want ANY Apple product.

I'd go and check that if I were you. My recollection is that the (somewhat dubious) survey to which I assume you're referring, the number of 'definitely will buys' went up.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    bertyaobertyao Posts: 12member
    it's a rumor could be false. Like one of those cramer schemes he talked about like spreading rumors before product launch to affect stock price.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is turning out to be just like the 3Gs launch.

It's almost guaranteed that no one outside of the USA will hold one of these things in their hands until Xmas 2010-11.

What happened to all those awards Apple won in recent years for managing their supply chain better than any other company? I know they are a much bigger company now, but they are screwing up big time over the last couple of years. They can't seem to produce a single product without delays and major flaws.

Cut the bullshit. Your continuing rhetoric is beginning to sound idiotic.

I'll bet your parents are still waiting for you to put the garbage out without being told.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

What's the problem? Is there a shortage of child labor in the Apple factories? Or did the fact that the number of people who "definitely want" the iPad dropped after they found out what the product is make Jobs decide he needed to work harder on his Jedi mind control kills, and put production on the back burner?

Do. Not. Want. In fact, after the multiple iTunes debacles and the AT&T iPhone lock-in, I don't ever want ANY Apple product.

So why are you here? To hear you sphincter chirp?
  • Reply 45 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

All of the trolls are correct, it's apple's "fault", better to be like say M$ and release a product with a 16% failure rate and just force customers to return for repair, damn the quality checks in place!

Why look at MSFT? Can you look at the recent flickering and jaundiced iMac screens?

eh, display issues for Mac have been an hotly concern since the first aluminium iMacs.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    This is craziness.

We have over 40 responses to this item, many of them debating the reasons for the limited supply of the iPad upon launch... and the launch hasn't even happened yet.

What ever happened to gathering as much information as possible before forming a conclusion?

Thompson
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Different folks use different methods of grouping. I suppose you are one that hates it when someone uses the "," (comma) for the decimal delimiter also (as is done in a large part of the world outside the US)? If it is equivalent who cares - not everyone does it the way us "good old yanks" do it!

Because it reads as "one hundred thousand thousand" and the translation that is performed - however quickly - to "one million" is an unnecessary one. If it is intended to read "one million" then make it say "one million."
  • Reply 48 of 86
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Did you have an issue with your 27" iMac - cause i haven't found anyone who has... There will always be a tiny percentage of electronic devices with faults, it's the nature of electronics and manual delivery of goods in the back of lorries...

It's well documented, and in an unusual change of ways, was confirmed by Apple in a public way. I did not have an issue because I didn't purchase one, I don't buy first runs of anything because of the manufacturing tweaks/bugs that need to be worked out.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

T...... with a PEG of a mere 0.67 (based on consensus)!

Just letting the PEG trend toward unity .......

I have a couple of questions for you.

What is the meaning of the 'PEG' ratio (I know what the definition is; I am asking about its meaning and interpretation)? 'Consensus' of what? Earnings? P/E? PEG? If either of the latter, where you do you find that? What does a PEG ratio tell you that you could not glean from a P/E ratio? Finally, can you point to any credible empirical evidence that links PEGs to stock prices?
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

This is craziness.

We have over 40 responses to this item, many of them debating the reasons for the limited supply of the iPad upon launch... and the launch hasn't even happened yet.

What ever happened to gathering as much information as possible before forming a conclusion?

Wait till the complaints about OS crashes start...... tomorrow. Then it's on to the fact that only 118,000 of the 140,000 apps have been updated for the iPad (that's coming day after tomorrow).
  • Reply 51 of 86
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have a couple of questions for you.

What is the meaning of the 'PEG' ratio (I know what the definition is; I am asking about its meaning and interpretation)? 'Consensus' of what? Earnings? P/E? PEG? If either of the latter, where you do you find that? What does a PEG ratio tell you that you could not glean from a P/E ratio? Finally, can you point to any credible empirical evidence that links PEGs to stock prices?

All of these numbers are guidelines, a way of looking at relative valuations. None of them are linked to price empirically, since stock price itself is just a consensus of investor sentiments at any given time. A low PEG can be seen as sign of relative value, or it could be taken as a sign of bearish sentiments on the stock. It's up to the investor to make a guess which it is.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

All of these numbers are guidelines, a way of looking at relative valuations. None of them are linked to price empirically, since stock price itself is just a consensus of investor sentiments at any given time. A low PEG can be seen as sign of relative value, or it could be taken as a sign of bearish sentiments on the stock. It's up to the investor to make a guess which it is.

I can point you to lots of literature on P/E ratios and stock prices. It is very well-studied.

More important, the P/E ratio has a very precise meaning and interpretation. (It can easily be shown that the Forward P/E ratio is specifically equal to 1/[rE - g], where rE is the expected return on equity and g is the expected long-run growth rate in earnings, which, in turn is a function of the reinvestment rate and ROE in the business).

The PEG, on the other hand, is a meaningless metric with no clear link to fundamentals such as cash flows (earnings), cost of capital (rE), growth (g), or ROIC (ROE). As far as I know, there is little or no academic research to back up the use of this metric for valuation purposes. (Do correct me if I am wrong). It is one of those metrics that a lot of people seem to throw around, but no one seems to explain, or more important, validate.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Wait till the complaints about OS crashes start...... tomorrow. Then it's on to the fact that only 118,000 of the 140,000 apps have been updated for the iPad (that's coming day after tomorrow).

Or the week after it really comes out and apple lowers the price Can't wait to hear the complaining then....
  • Reply 54 of 86
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Maybe any production delays would be related to the fact that lots of people celebrate Chinese New Year for about two weeks.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Well, thank god you came over here to tell us! We were all stupid enough to think that we might still want some Apple products, but now we can all stop wanting 'em and go back to Microsoft. Thanks!
  • Reply 56 of 86
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Foo bar! Someone failed at playing the stock market! The idea was that if you want a quick buck! Buy apple, now. The assumption was that the prospect of shortages would bring the stock down. When it becomes obvious that there will be no shortages, the stock would go up again. But looking at the stock prices the trick has so far failed...
  • Reply 57 of 86
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Availability of Apple's forthcoming iPad may be limited when it launches later this month, due to an "unspecified production problem" that could restrict the number of shipped units to just 300,000.

What I suspect happened is the Chinese workers at the plants making the iPad realized it's close to 100% completely made by machines and that would put so many of them out of work, so they sabotaged the assembly process or iPads somehow.

It could be that or Apple is playing a marketing trick by "selling out" early to induce demand.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Limit the initial supply. Increase demand.

Limit number of unhappy people when major problems pop up on a 1st generation product within the first week or two?
  • Reply 59 of 86
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I can point you to lots of literature on P/E ratios and stock prices. It is very well-studied.

More important, the P/E ratio has a very precise meaning and interpretation. (It can easily be shown that the Forward P/E ratio is specifically equal to 1/[rE - g], where rE is the expected return on equity and g is the expected long-run growth rate in earnings, which, in turn is a function of the reinvestment rate and ROE in the business).

The PEG, on the other hand, is a meaningless metric with no clear link to fundamentals such as cash flows (earnings), cost of capital (rE), growth (g), or ROIC (ROE). As far as I know, there is little or no academic research to back up the use of this metric for valuation purposes. (Do correct me if I am wrong). It is one of those metrics that a lot of people seem to throw around, but no one seems to explain, or more important, validate.

I'm not sure what you are implying. None of these so-called metrics predict anything. They have precise meanings in terms of how they are calculated, but very imprecise interpretations.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Curious then, why are you here?

Also, these 'Apple factories' you speak of are also 'Cisco' factories, 'Motorola' factories, 'Walmart factories' .. etc. Think of a big brand that you've bought and it probably has some manufacturing in a company like Hon Hai, if not Hon Hai itself. Go ahead, be Mike Arrington and stop buying stuff made in China.