Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

Comments

• Reply 81 of 193
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Turning the Notebooks and Mac Minis into stealth Apple TV units to play iTunes content.

I'm kind of hoping ALL miniDPs can output video and sound one day through an adaptor (I have a '08 MacBook Pro), but this doesn't sound too hopeful from the article.

Since all the products are rumored to get quad cores in the laptop. Add in a decent high Cpu and dedicated gpu with hdmi and they will sell like hot cakes.

The mac user would finally have a somewhat portable that propels 780p plus audio. I can see these purchased for many studios. But they really need a good graphic chipand recent CPU.
  • Reply 82 of 193
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be nice to have sound in the same cable to be able to drop what should be a superfluous cable. This can be done with DisplayPort though, Apple just needs to support DP audio, as well as offer the audio signaling for HDMI adapter.

Amen.
  • Reply 83 of 193
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

"An unannounced version of the Mac mini has been spotted with an HDMI connector instead of a DVI."

they say: has been spotted

they didn't say it's just illustration.

"More specifically, prototypes of a new Mac mini ? Apple's smallest and most affordable system, commonly employed by tech savvy Mac users as an ad-hoc living room media server, has been making the rounds with an HDMI port in place of its legacy DVI connector, according to two people familiar with the matter."

There is no mention of AI having obtained images of the mac mini in the article. They have two sources telling them that an hdmi connector is there. That is it. If you look at the image, it has an AppleInsider watermark which means they are laying claim to the photoshopped image as their own. I'm sorry they didn't connect the dots for you.
  • Reply 84 of 193
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They also didn't state that the image shown was the unit that was spotted. It's irrelevant as is the image as long as the information in the article is true.

I can't agree with you at all.

The way the images are presented with their captions implies this is a picture of the Mini that was spotted. That's bad journalism.

Of course, I don't consider AI to be journalists (or even close), but even so they should do better at informing us whether a picture is real or fake.
  • Reply 85 of 193
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

All I can say is Apple had best firmware update the existing Mini DisplayPort Macs to add audio over the port! If not, there will be many angry customers...

More likely inconvenienced rather than angry.

The TOSLINK adapters cost about 2 bucks. I don't consider optical cables a hassle, even on a bad day as it's a single cable. I agree that it would be nice if the Mini DisplayPort supported audio though.

I'm more interested as to whether or not the HDMI connector will also support the audio channel. That is of more interest to me than audio over the DisplayPort.
  • Reply 86 of 193
    hal4579hal4579 Posts: 1member
    I've spent about $6000 in the last year setting up computers in my bedroom, family room and bar. All pulling media from the same library on a server and all connected to hdtvs via hdmi.

I wanted to use mac minis but no hdmi meant no way.

Each htpc setup now has cable box, dell studio slim and surround reciever.

boxee runs the media, Onkyo runs sound and Samsung splays it all up on big screens.

Everything works together and is awesome. The dell computers are powerful enough to rip my DVD and BR discs or just pop one in and play it. I would have happily done without the BR support if I could have used mac minis, but I don't mess with silly adapters...ever.
  • Reply 87 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The way the images are presented with their captions implies this is a picture of the Mini that was spotted. That's bad journalism.

Of course, I don't consider AI to be journalists (or even close), but even so they should do better at informing us whether a picture is real or fake.

The image is irrelevant. I don't think anyone here needs to know what an HDMI connector looks like. You seem the be the only person excited by the fact that the image is a mock-up. Mock-ups are used all of the time for electronics. It doesn't matter if you 'agree with me' or not. No where in the article does it claim that the image is an actual image of this new hardware. You made that assumption on your own.
  • Reply 88 of 193
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I agree, though it should be relatively plain to see that it's not a real photo with just a tiny bit of deduction. For one, the upper photo may have been a rendering anyway, it was taken from Apple's site. No "spy photo" looks like that, ever.
  • Reply 89 of 193
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Bring us BLU-RAY!!

also the ability to show content on virtually all HDTV's. a great forward progress. and no i don't think Display port is HDMI's equal. THERE IS NO AUDIO.

HDMI is a versatile electronics output. so lets get to use it.

also.... bring on Blu-Ray. its time

we want it in iMac's, Mac Pro's, and of course those photo bugs like myself, on MBP.
  • Reply 90 of 193
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

BluRay, like Flash, is just a placeholder, while better things develop.

To not understand this, is to be left behind. I don't care that average AV heads don't get it, I'm just glad Apple does.

Being able to see more than 3 years into the future is why Apple is where they are, with what they have.

This takes the thesis to an absurd limit. All technology is a placeholder for future technology. The issue here seems to be the business model (rather than a technology issue) that all video is to be streamed without an option to purchase the content in disk format. Regardless of what Apple does or does not support there will be massive amounts of BluRay content produced just like there was for the previous DVD, Laserdisc, and VHS formats. Disabling access to this content doesn't seem like a customer friendly practice. The result for me is that I purchase products from competing vendors (like Sony and LG).
  • Reply 91 of 193
    warpwarp Posts: 17member
    As someone who just recently had to make a backup of my iTunes library on a boatload of D/L DVD+R discs, I would welcome BD+R or any other method. I realize this is slightly off-topic to the HDMI issue, but Apple should either add a feature to iTunes to dump a full backup of a library to an external HDD or provide an optical drive that is capable of accommodating a larger capacity recordable media.

The backup was needed to port the library to a new Mac Mini.
  • Reply 92 of 193
    fleggyfleggy Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has many reasons and their pushing the blame on other because of tricky licensing isn't the crux of problem, it's just a scape goat that tries to make Apple look like the victum, as any decent company should do.

On one front, they are pushing their convenient streaming option which is why they haven't at elast added AACS support to their OS and then let users deal with BRDs themselves, internally or externally.

So I removed your other comments as you keep referring to "notebooks". Valid points, by my question was around Mac Pros and iMacs. This is a different space, entirely. Power consumption arguments do not hold water when it is constantly "plugged in"! The size of a drive does not count.

Apple's alternative is not good enough. The quality is not there. If they up the quality; the bandwidth is not there (as I previously stated).

So...Apple choose not too. They are behind, not because of "technology or adoption" issues...because they can't sell the content. That will leave more than a few folks frustrated, IMO.

FYI - http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/18/bl...rcent-in-2009/

Two points to note:

1) This is a product bought by the average consumer in the worst recession for a long time

2) Blu-Ray is a Premium product

Imagine the numbers if the recession had not hit?
  • Reply 93 of 193
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

also the ability to show content on virtually all HDTV's. a great forward progress. and no i don't think Display port is HDMI's equal. THERE IS NO AUDIO.

Both DisplayPort and HDMI support audio. Apple doesn't offer audio output on their mDP jacks. While it's a bit disappointing, that doesn't mean they can't add it for later machines.
  • Reply 94 of 193
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Bah Humbug! There isn't much point in offering HDMI (which one, 1.3, or the new 1.4?) if they're not offering Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 95 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Bah Humbug! There isn't much point in offering HDMI (which one, 1.3, or the new 1.4?) if they're not offering Blu-Ray.

I disagree. I have no use for Blu-Ray on my MediaPC as I already have a standalone player for that. If the new HDMI port does offer audio out, it is a small convenience at least.

I do wish I could easily replace the drive on my iMac though. I may pop in a BD-Rom (I don't need write capability).

The new 27" uses a 12.7 mm drive or a 9.5 mm?
  • Reply 96 of 193
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post

As someone who just recently had to make a backup of my iTunes library on a boatload of D/L DVD+R discs, I would welcome BD+R or any other method. I realize this is slightly off-topic to the HDMI issue, but Apple should either add a feature to iTunes to dump a full backup of a library to an external HDD or provide an optical drive that is capable of accommodating a larger capacity recordable media.

The backup was needed to port the library to a new Mac Mini.

I don't think many people use BD to make backups, even on Windows computers. I usually don't even see blank BD disks for sale in most locations. I'd much rather backup to a hard drive than optical disks at this point in time. Time machine will provide an automatic backup of your library. If you want to do it manually, it is pretty easy to drag the folder/folders containing your library onto an external disk.
  • Reply 97 of 193
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

journalists or not, they are on google news and they are my #1 source for Apple news lol.

Just take any kind of rumor about an apple product with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 98 of 193
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Thanks troll.

Yes, the trolling is increasing at an exponential rate on Apple centric blogs like AppleInsider, MacRumors, MacNN, MacWorld, etc. On AppleInsider, for example, the troll posts sometimes outnumber the positive or constructive ones. Right here we are seeing new members with only one or two posts that are obvious trolls. They came for the express purpose of posting FUDl, probably on marching orders from their employers. This can mean only one thing. Apple has finally gotten under their skins and they're scared to death of the success. What else can explain the compulsion to post FUD, innuendo, and outright falsehoods on web sites that cover a computing platform they do not use and have no intention of using? Really, what else?

From Hamlet, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." That about sums it up as far as the trolls go. This is probably a good thing for Apple. It means they're doing it right.
  • Reply 99 of 193
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

This takes the thesis to an absurd limit. All technology is a placeholder for future technology. The issue here seems to be the business model (rather than a technology issue) that all video is to be streamed without an option to purchase the content in disk format. Regardless of what Apple does or does not support there will be massive amounts of BluRay content produced just like there was for the previous DVD, Laserdisc, and VHS formats. Disabling access to this content doesn't seem like a customer friendly practice. The result for me is that I purchase products from competing vendors (like Sony and LG).

That's fine. The result for me, and many other people, is that I choose from the plethora of other options. The lack of BluRay on the Mac doesn't phase me in the slightest, and I'm big on HD content. I have FIOS for the best HDTV I can get. I download or rent HD content online all the time.

And if I can't find something particular anywhere else, I make the occasional trip to blockbuster for a bluray disc that I watch from the PS3. That happens maybe once every 1-2 months.

Denying access to a niche product is not denying access at all. Its a feature you want, that isn't present.
  • Reply 100 of 193
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I disagree. I have no use for Blu-Ray on my MediaPC as I already have a standalone player for that. If the new HDMI port does offer audio out, it is a small convenience at least.

I do wish I could easily replace the drive on my iMac though. I may pop in a BD-Rom (I don't need write capability).

The new 27" uses a 12.7 mm drive or a 9.5 mm?

The whole point is to simplify, not to make things more complex. I'd like everything on one device. I'd like to get my Blu-Ray disks into my computer, just as I've got music, Tv shows and, so far, some DVDs. I've got too many electronic devices in my system already.