Apple granted patents for pioneering unibody MacBook design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Watch out, I think you all just gizzed all over yourselves.

What's your problem? People are not allowed to appreciate nice products anymore?

Compared to all the other laptops I've had, the MBP is by far the greatest.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

The word "unibody" does not refer to a process of milled metal - it refers to a design where the external main case and structural frame are one and the same part.

Previously laptops would have an assembly of parts that together create the structure that holds everything together, provide the needed strength and stiffness, and for the exterior case. The Unibody MacBooks have *one* part that does all of this.

Yeah, that's what all these people don't understand. They didn't patent a "look" or case. They patented a structure.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

No, patents were created to protect the small (read single person) inventor from large corporations. Unfortunately our patent system is so utterly abused at this point that it mainly just a lawyers playground and profit center.

Apple is really showing its true colors here with these recent patent troll filings.

Seriously, has the design of a notebook chassis really changed that much over the last 20 years to warrant a patent? Let's see, display - check, keyboard - check, pointing device - check, optical drive - check, etc...

Even the multi-touch technology is somewhat bogus. I'm sure Synaptics would have something to say about the glass touchpad patent seeing how they've been making them for years and have several patents of their own on the technology.

Where did I say in my posting that patents were not created to protect "small (read single person) inventor?" Apple or any other corporation are also protected patent laws if they invent or develop something new.

One of the co-inventors of the integrated silicone chip, Robert Noyce went on to be a co-founder of Intel. His patent number was #2,981,877, and he was working for Fairchild at the time. The other co-inventor was Jack Kirby who was working for TI. His patent number is #3,138,743.

While the system isn't perfect, it is better than nothing. It is in need of a major revision though.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    So those doggone Apple lawyers need to do something when they're not beating up on small inoccuous companies like Psystar or stealing patents and IP from Nokia and Kodak!

LOL!!!

Seriously, trboyden, given the number of ways that screen, processor, keyboard and pointing device can interface, your statement is pretty silly dotcha think? And don't even get into multitouch - there are dozens of ways multitouch is implemented. Having worked for 3M, for example, I know that every large corporation that creates products has a legal team that reviews existing patents. There are so many that it is necessary to make sure first that an implementation of a technology does not infringe on other IP. They also have a team (may be the same one) that protects their own IP/patents, either via suit or license. Just one of the scientists (in this case a metallurgist) had HUNDREDS of patents registered to him (and 3M of course) alone. So to patent a system like the unibody construction is important because it is a different approach than most of the computer industry takes in structure, assemble and parting. The entire system from billet to final assembly is critical to the success of the concept. Which is why when someone introduces something that reduces cost, labor or parting - the rest of any given industry rushes to implement something very similar.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Hopefully they don't decide to too anything controversial like defend it.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Watch out, I think you all just gizzed all over yourselves.

You sound like a jealous Windows user. Tell us: Dell? Or Toshiba?

• Reply 28 of 30
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

You sound like a jealous Windows user. Tell us: Dell? Or Toshiba?

HP Envy
  • Reply 29 of 30

It's interesting how they didn't use an image that resembles the MacBook Air or the MacBook Pro. Is there a reason for doing that?

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to say that the MacBook Air/Pro is a "docking station" for an electronic device. If Apple use this to sue Dell on using this method of manufacturing for their laptop, would they win?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The unibody acts as a "docking station" for the motherboard, processor etc i.e "an electronic device".

You can run the "electronic device" (i.e. components of a computer) on a table without "docking" it to a case of any sort.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Transformist View Post

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to say that the MacBook Air/Pro is a "docking station" for an electronic device. If Apple use this to sue Dell on using this method of manufacturing for their laptop, would they win?