Penguin Books bets big on iPad interactive content

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I may be wring but many companies are opening app stores and Apple may initially get the sales going but could face competion with other slate, pad readers once it starts to take off.

We wont know until the real numbers show up plus you have devices not out yet that could offer flash, exchange and a stylus fir enterprise and education. This is ine time we will have to sit back and watch what happens.

Flash is already being phased out on a lot of major sites, apples user base for mobile products is having an effect, and personally as a designer I am not sad to see it go, neither are people that I know in the industry. Along those lines there was a mock funeral today for IE6 as good will no longer support it.

As for a stylus, really a stylus, really? You have 10 of them, some have 11
  • Reply 42 of 72
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

Even more ironic is the fact that I just watched the entire video ON my iPhone. AppleInsider links to the YouTube videos which display in H.264. I had WiFi available, if that makes a difference.?ciao

Shush you stop poking wholes in the trolls bitching.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    My point was how this is going to change a kids life, for one!!!

All previous "interactivity" was done with a clunky mouse, invented by the industrious Uncle Doug, while I was watching The Beatles premiere on Ed Sullivan in 1963! Come on guys, I used a slide rule!

The iPad has finally completed the truly augmented being! You touch a book and it reacts! No knobs or remote controls or 'pointers'....it's all right at your fingers. Even a pencil is crude and puzzling to a kid.

Now kids can color, spell, speak and make animal sounds-whatever they choose, with a finger! The depth and vastness of Doug's dynamic scalable information layering is here!

Steve has taken these ideas and made them available to ME and my grandkids!

Secondly, a Doctor, or a mechanic or a plumber can rotate a heart, or a carburetor, or a drain pipe to see how it attaches! (the only thing they will need to do is take off the gloves.)

Revolutionary is a great understatement here!
  • Reply 44 of 72
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Revolutionary is a great understatement here!

That's why Steve added "Magical."

Which Ballmer and the rest of the industry started to use a week later.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    It is great to see publishers that are serious about bringing books to the next level. Penguin Books just got my admiration.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    I have a challenge for you, at least if you are gifted enough to write a book, or anything that may be useful to others. Or, if you know someone who can write a book. Why don't you publish an eBook at the cheapest price you this is fair to the reader? In fact, why not give it for free.

Just like what happened with the Apple Apps ecosystem, technologies like this, allowed individuals to create and reach the public without going through an intermediary. Each one of us can then share our creations to the public at any price we want. Many even give it for free.

So, don't just keep on complaining here about what others should do. Practice what you want to preach. If not, it is hypocritical to demand from others how they should price their creations or the business they want to peddle.

One other thing, as a consumer you are not required to buy anything, if you do not like the price.

CGC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Productions costs are ridiculously low, distribution is free, advertising is included, and the publishers get a much larger cut anyway.

For a publisher that already has paper versions of books they've been producing for many years, eBook versions *should* be a no brainer, (and they should be a lot cheaper than the paper one's as well). Capitalism being what it is they probably won't be, but there is nothing stopping them from being so.

• Reply 47 of 72
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    'Originally Posted by Dogcow

Good point. Watching this reminded me of an Encarta demo from the early 90s. People kept saying "it's going to change the way children learn and knowledge is shared!" Well not so much. I realize the technology is different and the internet makes updates easier and not having to drag a class of kids to a computer lab isl going to make adopting easier, but there is still going to be a lot of barriers to overcome before technology replaces print.'

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

You are right, but printed encyclopedias in particular are well and truly obsolete, thanks in small (very small) part to encarta.

Before Encarta there was Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia which was the first. If anything, these multimedia encyclopedia showed the potential of producing multimedia textbooks for education.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

My point was how this is going to change a kids life, for one!!!

All previous "interactivity" was done with a clunky mouse, invented by the industrious Uncle Doug, while I was watching The Beatles premiere on Ed Sullivan in 1963! Come on guys, I used a slide rule!

The iPad has finally completed the truly augmented being! You touch a book and it reacts!

I agree.

I watched these demos with two heads.

The engineer in me said - that is easy. Trivial to implement.

But the former parent in me saw something completely different. A "magic book" that will utterly enchant small children.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

A. C. Clarke

C.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue

I don't think books are going to disappear. Their prevalence will reduce certainly, but I think people will still be buying and reading books in fifty years time. As I mention earlier, I see this as the birth of an entirely new medium, that will cannibalise (to use that Mac cliché) book sales certainly, but there will still be reasons for the old medium to survive - where there is no power source for example, let alone the high device cost of entering this new era. The advent of cinema reduced but did not destroy theatre, TV and then video reduced but did not destroy film, and even radio, after years of decline, has stabilised and found its niche.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino View Post

I concur.

I really hope that this is true.

One of my concerns is as things are becoming more and more digital, what will happen if there is some crash in this technology--viruses or new technology replacing older technology. You will lose many of files.

Taking photography as an example, as more photographers are going digital, there is more potential that their work will be lost as technology advances. You can still take one of Edward S. Curtis' photos or Mathew Brady's Civil War photographs and make a print. Fifty years from now what can you do if you fine some photographers SD card?? Have you tried to play on old Victrola wax cylinder on your CD player? So one hundred years from now, hopefully you can still fine the hard copy of The Lord of the Rings.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    You guys are forgetting that educational media is a small piece of the great things the iPad will be as a mobile device. It won't be another encarta because it can do so much more, that much more will supplement the education medium's experience. This is 2010, not 1999 we are ready for the revolution this time around.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    For someone who claims to be into "education", I am a bit disappointed with your post. I for one believe that education begins in the family. Without a supportive and nurturing environment at home, even the best mind may not flourish. The teacher and school come next. Then the support of the community and the larger society we live in. And yes, technologies like the iPad can makee a great difference, if used properly.

As they say, technology is a tool, not an end to itself. If you learn to appreciate this, I am sure you may consider technologies, like the iPad, as potential part of the arsenal to stimulate the mind.

From your several posts in this specific thread, instead of thinking of the possibilities, you focus too much on the negative. I am glad you are not the one making the decisions to envision the future of education.

Technologies like the iPad, or other devices are not meant to replace the family and the teacher, in shaping the mind. If you cannot envision how technologies like this can make a significant difference in education at every level, and even when one is already out of school, perhaps you are too absorbed with your bias.

It is insulting to be spewing statements like this:

Quote:

What people generally forget is that paper and pencils are also "education technology," ...

and all that crap about Pythagoras.

The Pythagoras of today use all the tools at their disposal to share their ideas and make their dreams reality. That is true of the past and most likely true of those with great minds in the future. If you are familiar with the history of science, it was those who were not afraid to embrace the most advanced technologies of their time, those who tested the limits of these technologies at their disposal and improved on them further that made the difference in this world, and lasting impact to humanity.

I for one continue to learn and discover new fields, and continue to "reinvent myself" long after my formal education has ended. I was able to achieve this, thanks in a significant part to technologies like the internet and yes, soon, innovations like the iPad and other mobile devices to come.

Sure I could have learned in other ways, but definitely these new technologies that you seem to disdain have enabled me to "reach the minds" of people beyond my immediate environment and from different ages -- at a much faster and cheaper ways.

At present the "paper and pencils 'education technologies'" you are so fond of would have impeded my personal growth for many reasons -- some I cannot share here. Ponder this statement, and you might understand how certain technologies can make the same difference in the life (including "education') of some members of our society.

CGC
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

'Originally Posted by Dogcow

Good point. Watching this reminded me of an Encarta demo from the early 90s. People kept saying "it's going to change the way children learn and knowledge is shared!" Well not so much. I realize the technology is different and the internet makes updates easier and not having to drag a class of kids to a computer lab isl going to make adopting easier, but there is still going to be a lot of barriers to overcome before technology replaces print.'

Before Encarta there was Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia which was the first. If anything, these multimedia encyclopedia showed the potential of producing multimedia textbooks for education.

Actually, if you consider Encarta, and similar other creations before and since, they did change the way children and people learn and share knowledge.

You just have to think deeper, and you will realize this.

One great proof, how many Encyclopedia salespeople do you see around? Even if there are still any of them around, how many still buy printed encyclopedia?

A significant part of the printed content are obsolete as they are being written. That is true with many books, especially those in science and technology. This is one great advantage of online books, especially online textbooks -- they can in theory be updated dynamically to keep pace with the dizzying advances in science and technology.

Even in other fields, prose and poetry, philosophy, etc., where the works of Plato, Shakespeare and other great minds will remain the same, I can think of ways where they can be made more alive, more interesting and more educational through the power of multimedia.

And yes, print will be here to stay. Just talk to a librarian. Or, if you are an avid follower of modern technology, you may realize why print will be here to stay.

All these modes of sharing and accessing information need not replace each other -- in many ways they can co-exist.

CGC
  • Reply 53 of 72
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He definitely gets it.

I wonder if Apple will release a proper format for interactive material using the iTunes LP and iTunes Extra forma. While all the video and audio can be encrypted I'd think that content owners would like the other data encrypted, too.

i think eventually they will. they might even already be working on it. but they want to have folks on board for the smaller steps before they unveil.

If this Penguin experiment works, that will help much.

And that makes me happy. because I think the real power in ebooks is in going beyond basic text. Give me a book where I can swap in between the text and the audiobook without missing a beat. Give me non fiction titles where I can see photos and video, where I can hear the pronunciations, where I can see a video on how to poach, slice, dice etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Nah people want Windows 7 on a laptop that weighs 4lbs

well some folks do call Windows bloatware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Is the iPad a game changer ... that seems to be what everyone is arguing about.

in the sense that the hardware is really that amazing I disagree. it is amazing but not that completely.

in the sense that folks are thinking about media and communication in new ways, I agree that the ipad is starting something new. and potentially good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Penguin "gets it", and seems to be willing to put in the effort to put out great content and the effort to learn how to monetize their digital offerings.

even better is that it is Penguin doing it. They are NOT a small company. They are top tier like McGrawHill, Scholastic etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I have a challenge for you, at least if you are gifted enough to write a book, or anything that may be useful to others. Or, if you know someone who can write a book. Why don't you publish an eBook at the cheapest price you this is fair to the reader? In fact, why not give it for free.

i actually heard from someone that Apple is taking names and contact info from folks that might want to 'self published' via the ibookstore

Quote:

One other thing, as a consumer you are not required to buy anything, if you do not like the price.

CGC

yep. I have a couple of friends that are always trying to convert me back to Windows. Saying that Apple isn't so great, it's too high priced etc. Setting aside that I can't do the work I need to do on a Windows machine, if Mac is what I like it's what I'm going to 'waste' my money on. They are free to 'waste' theirs on PCs. I really don't care (which is why I don't preach Mac at them nonstop)
  • Reply 54 of 72
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uniqueness-template View Post

It is a bit ironic that videos of potential iPad uses cannot be viewed on an iPhone (and, by extension, the iPad).

The videos are from YouTube, which has a HTML5 player, so you’re wrong.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think we can use previous incarnations of CD based interactive books as a point of comparison to whatever emerges for the iPad.

While those older forms obviously resemble what is to come, the inclusion of touch, online real time data, location awareness and easy, handheld portability make will potential iPad versions a completely different experience, IMO.

In particular that last point-- how one holds and interacts with the iPad-- gets seriously underestimated as a point of revolutionary change. For lack of a better term, ones "body relationship" to something as intimate as a book is hugely important. My impression is that Apple spent a good bit of time working out exactly what form factor would foster the ideal experience of holding, touching, turning, sharing and propping up-- all analogs of how we relate to books.

For those that point to the underwhelming effects of interactive learning CDs, imagine the World Book electronic edition had been available on a handheld $500 device that you directly manipulated with your hands. Particularly for children, the "object-ness" of the iPad represents a completely new paradigm. What happens when we combine all the power of text, video, motion graphics, interactivity, realtime online data, location awareness and, above all, touch? When you can give a child the opportunity to interact directly with concretized ideas, without the scrim of file systems and inputs devices, or, insofar as Apple could engineer it, even a computer at all?

Just a screen, with things to touch.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

The videos are from YouTube, which has a HTML5 player, so you’re wrong.

Even without the HTML5 Beta option from YouTube the files all use the H.264 codec with works on the iPhone just fine. With links to YouTube the YouTube players opens, with other clips it uses the standard QT player app, providing the files are MP4, too.

However, if you go to the main page on an iDevice the video links don't show up so the videos aren't available for playback. I think this is just an oversight from AppleInsider as this has worked swimmingly since the iPhone first arrived.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

It's worth noting that they didn't demo any "interactive titles" at all here.

The video shows obvious *mockups* of *possible* ways in which these as yet *hypothetical* eBooks *might* be done.

It was just a keynote presentation of what they are thinking of doing not a demo of actual product.

And the iPad isn't being sold yet ... so your point is ???
  • Reply 58 of 72
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    when i read the title, for some reason "interactive content" reminded me of those choose your own adventure books.

If you want Max to spray the bubble gum monster with the hose, turn to page 12!
  • Reply 59 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

when i read the title, for some reason "interactive content" reminded me of those choose your own adventure books.

If you want Max to spray the bubble gum monster with the hose, turn to page 12!

That sounds like a great avenue for revenue. I think a start up could make a lot of money with interactive books of all types. from a young age. Create a simple protected player and then sell all books as in-store purchases.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, if you go to the main page on an iDevice the video links don't show up so the videos aren't available for playback.

Ah, that is probably why I didn't realize they were youtube videos (which, yes, do play fine in iPhone/iPad).

I erroneously assumed they were non-youtube flash video links when I saw the empty "Flash" boxes Safari (thanks to the indispensable ClickToFlash) and this comment in this thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy

When will AI switch out of FLASH to view content? Can't view this with my iPhone.

AdamIIGS: No need to call me a troll. I despise Flash and will be elated the day it is replaced with the VIDEO and CANVAS tags. I was merely pointing out a potential irony.

Defensive much?