Apple's iPad expected to be part of 10.5M tablets shipped in 2010

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This will be my one and only prediction for iPad sales figures.

2010 sales

Apple iPad 6.4 million.

All other Tablet Form Factor: 3 million

other tablets might sell less...with windows and flash eating up their batteries, users will choose to go back to their miserable windows 7 pcs...or get an ipad
  • Reply 22 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No one else has noticed the discrepancy between the title and first paragraph?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Wait until September when the 16Gb should be repriced correctly at $299-$329.

Then 10mil makes total sense. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I think based on history they are more likely to add features at the same low-end price point. I could see the base model being 32GB WiFi at $500, 32GB 3G at $600, and 64GB 3G at $750. Big question is if they do it for Back-to-school or Christmas season (June vs Sept/October)

I think to get down to $300 will be a challenge, and might better be served by iPod Touch/iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I think you mean NETbooks.

Netbooks, IMHO, are toast.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I think based on history they are more likely to add features at the same low-end price point. I could see the base model being 32GB WiFi at $500, 32GB 3G at $600, and 64GB 3G at $750. Big question is if they do it for Back-to-school or Christmas season (June vs Sept/October)

I think to get down to $300 will be a challenge, and might better be served by iPod Touch/iPhone.

Well we have a $99 8Gb iPhone now. I wouldn't doubt the 16Gb drop to $300 as these are in production and will need to clear out. Remember the first iPhone dropped in 2 months $200 after originally selling for $600 for 16Gb.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    10.5 million tablets is an awful lot of units for a form factor that was claimed nobody wanted. Estimates are certainly all over the place and no estimates should be taken seriously before the iPad starts to ship. I hope Apple releases some of its pre-order numbers even though it won't be indicative on how well iPad future sales would be. We all going to just have to wait out the months after the iPad ships and see how well the consumer response is. Hopefully it will be good. If Apple can sell a million within the first two months, I would think the iPad will be considered a success.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Well we have a $99 8Gb iPhone now. I wouldn't doubt the 16Gb drop to $300 as these are in production and will need to clear out. Remember the first iPhone dropped in 2 months $200 after originally selling for $600 for 16Gb.

True, the iPhone 3G is $99 for the consumer. However, carriers pay Apple the full price of the device ($499 for the 3G I believe). Unless we see a carrier subsidy for the iPad, I don't think we will see that large of a discount. Apple might drop the price but not as low as $300. Remember that Apple sells the 32GB iPod Touch for $300 and Amazon Kindle DX is selling for $490.

I think the most likely scenario is Apple dropping the 16GB model and offering the 32GB and 64GB models for $499 and $599, respectively, by the holiday season.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one else has noticed the discrepancy between the title and first paragraph?

To be honest, Soli, I didn't get past the title...

But yes, now there are two freshman-journalism-student-esque flaws, one paragraph in.

Should I even read the rest of the article? It's probably about Pumas or something else completely unrelated and irrelevant...

-Clive
  • Reply 29 of 32
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    I was listening to CNBC this morning and an amazing thing happened. Jim Kramer who has his ear out to many corporations and CEOs said that the enterprise market really is starting to embrace the iPad. This is even before any have been sold. They see it's versatility. He also believes that this could be more a road into that market for Apple.

So IMO since the iPhone is being more embraced by corporations and now the iPad with it's potential, the enterprise side of the equation is expanding to a greater extent for Apple. The momentum seems to be building. That stock ticker for AAPL is expressing or reflecting that. For those who in the beginning who put the iPad down and didn't see any potential in sales, they just don't have any vision. Steve Jobs has had a pretty good track record on creating items that the market embraces. Ok, his stereo for the iPod didn't work out but hey nobody's perfect. I may get an iPad at some point but now I am patiently waiting for the next gen of the iTouch with the built in camera. August seems so far away.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

other tablets might sell less...with windows and flash eating up their batteries, users will choose to go back to their miserable windows 7 pcs...or get an ipad

On their own merit they wouldn't even come close to 3 million, in the wake of the iPad however, Dell, HP and others will benefit from the, "I'll settle for this" sales.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    801801 Posts: 271member
    OK, condemn this idea.

the reason the Ipad is such a big deal is not in this version.

This version is a stalking horse.

The ultimate idea is to make a universal dynabook that will allow you to replace your phone with a device that not only does all the things it is now promoted with, but will allow you to video phone anyone you know. it is a replacement for the 1964 video phone we were promised at the worlds fair in NY. it will be the device that will allow perfect interconnection between any person or piece of knowledge on earth, with video ichat, sitting in your chair like SJ did awkwardly on stage.

Bottomline, this device, or its slightly larger siblings, will be the interconnection device of the next 20, maybe 50, years.

Those apps will only be the gravy.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

OK, condemn this idea.

the reason the Ipad is such a big deal is not in this version.

This version is a stalking horse.

The ultimate idea is to make a universal dynabook that will allow you to replace your phone with a device that not only does all the things it is now promoted with, but will allow you to video phone anyone you know. it is a replacement for the 1964 video phone we were promised at the worlds fair in NY. it will be the device that will allow perfect interconnection between any person or piece of knowledge on earth, with video ichat, sitting in your chair like SJ did awkwardly on stage.

Bottomline, this device, or its slightly larger siblings, will be the interconnection device of the next 20, maybe 50, years.

Those apps will only be the gravy.

Oh, yeah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook