Content sales predicted to near 30% of iPad hardware revenue

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

No need to wait. What you want is here!:

Ezy Tablet PC

I love the colored ports. Nothing says quality like color-coding.

Question: the name 'iGenius'...was that meant to be ironic?
  • Reply 62 of 106
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I wonder if AI could give us the option to ignore posts that quote someone on our ignore lists. This is ridiculous. iGenius has completely taken over this thread and single handedly set the informal record of most consecutive posts by people on my ignore list at 5.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

For likely over 5 million people in the next 8 months, there is no "fatal compromise" in the iPad.

By the way, Apple has graduated to having products that do many things really really well. It started back in 2005. Where have you been?

Apple never really registered on my radar screen until I bought an iPhone. Before that, they were like any other niche manufacturer that didn't make stuff I was interested in buying. For example, I didn't buy an iPod because my Motorola 815 phone did a great job playing music. After that, my Treo did a good job too.

So my comment was based upon the viewpoints I read here, saying that Apple's products are not riddled with compromises. I see things very differently. I see the 'Pad as a jack of all trades, and master of none. The compromises in video and web kill it for me. The aspects that benefit from these compromises are not what I am primarily interested in.

I predict that Apple's sales will be breathtaking. I also predict that other companies will sell tablet computers that are more in line with my uses for such a product: Primarily web and video. IMO, the 'Pad would suck at both of those.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple never really registered on my radar screen until I bought an iPhone. Before that, they were like any other niche manufacturer that didn't make stuff I was interested in buying. For example, I didn't buy an iPod because my Motorola 815 phone did a great job playing music. After that, my Treo did a good job too.

So my comment was based upon the viewpoints I read here, saying that Apple's products are not riddled with compromises. I see things very differently. I see the 'Pad as a jack of all trades, and master of none. The compromises in video and web kill it for me. The aspects that benefit from these compromises are not what I am primarily interested in.

I predict that Apple's sales will be breathtaking. I also predict that other companies will sell tablet computers that are more in line with my uses for such a product: Primarily web and video. IMO, the 'Pad would suck at both of those.

Then don't buy it. Problem solved. Your opinion is duly noted, now could you kindly quite usurping this thread with your repetitive drivel?
  • Reply 65 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Look it up.

For once, why don't you post a link and quote some text to back your statements. I certainly don't recall that being stated but that doesn't it wasn't. You made the claim, now prove it.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I wonder if AI could give us the option to ignore posts that quote someone on our ignore lists. This is ridiculous. iGenius has completely taken over this thread and single handedly set the informal record of most consecutive posts by people on my ignore list at 5.

Ignore lists aren't really the solution.

A better approach would be a downranking comment scoring system. That would improve the overall forum quality for everyone because the noise would disappear.

I never thought I would say this, but today Slashdot is actually readable.

Almost all of the major tech news sites (MacRumors, Cnet, Macworld, Gizmodo, Engadget, TUAW, etc.) suffer from dearth of quality commentary as AppleInsider.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I'll pass. I'm hugely disappointed with the 'Pad. I thought it would be exactly what I've wanted, but now I find that the two most promising uses are each fatally compromised.

But it will be the best iSore portal ever made. They will sell a zillion of them, and iSore revenue will go through the roof.

Which must mean the whole world (minus you) thinks it's a great device .... shocking ..... aren't you ever going to get tired of swimming "upstream"?
  • Reply 68 of 106
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Additionally, the lack of flash kills it as a 'web browser

I don't care about flash.

?
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:

And since when does Apple release do-it-all products that contain fatal compromises? What happened to "do one thing really really well"?

Everything Apple does is a compromise for usability, not myopic focus on one feature to satisfy your geekgasm desires.

Your trollish comments aside about the iPad's compromises being fatal, Apple has always made compromises, which is why they are more successful than other vendors. While you instantly discredited the 4:3 ratio as "antique" Apple looked at many aspect ratios and sizes to determine the best option to satisfy its customers without making rash decisions based on hip trends, regardless of their pointlessness. Every netbook with a 16:9 ratio is a prime example of why netbooks are crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

A better approach would be a downranking comment scoring system. That would improve the overall forum quality for everyone because the noise would disappear.

That is a grand idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Which must mean the whole world (minus you) thinks it's a great device .... shocking ..... aren't you ever going to get tired of swimming "upstream"?

Is he really swimming upstream or downing in a deluge of rational responses.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I disagree. Mob rule prevails then (ref. Engadget).

I am willing to put up with recurring minor annoyances of silly/useless posts for the generally larger number of insightful posts that more than make up for it.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

seriously CHILL OUT

I'm bailing from this thread until things cool

Hey, relax.... don't go all angina on us... it is just a forum.....
  • Reply 72 of 106
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

I have reported this insulting post.

ah good, but your passive aggressive slights towards people are also insulting, and you need to stop projecting....
  • Reply 73 of 106
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

For what I want, and have wanted for years, the 'Pad is fatally deficient. I've wanted a tablet for surfing the 'web and consuming content primarily.

And for these two primary functions, the 'Pad is fatally deficient. Had I wanted an eBook reader, it might fit the bill.

But for 'web and video, it is unacceptable to me. Thus, I am extremely disappointed and will continue to wait until somebody does it right. I'm watching Dell, Archos and others to see what they come up with. And from what I have seen. many new companies will introduce tablets soon, with a variety of capabilities and deficiencies.

I am optimistic that within 12 months, there will be a tablet computer that makes the 'Pad look like a toy.

and i bet in 12 months you are still going to be a pompous ass princess who whines when she does not get what she wants and continually attacks people who can not change a thing

until then keep waiting...hopefully for years
  • Reply 74 of 106
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I have not read one single negative review of the iPad from someone who has actually used it. All the negative reviews come from people who never actually touched one.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

OK, you made your point (again). We all get it, you don't like the iPad. Now would you mind moving on? Enough already.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

Fact: The iPad has a 4:3 aspect ratio, while most movies are widescreen.

Fact: The 'Pad will not display in HD, which has become very common.

Fact: The 'Pad will not display flash video, and therefore will not display the vast majority of 'web video.

Fact: For what I want, the 'Pad is fatally deficient.

And the fact is you are only one user. The iPad doesn't really meet my needs either but that isn't going to be the case for everyone. However there isn't anyone here that knows if its going to do well or not.

People that claim its going to totally fail are as foolish as ones that say its going to take over the world.

The first factual data we will have will be pre orders if that number is released. It should give at least some kind of marker in terms of interest. Long term sales is another story.

I don't feel any Tablet made by anyone is going to do well but that is based on history of other Tablet sales and just simply my opinion. To me the iPad really doesn't offer much of anything.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

And the fact is you are only one user. The iPad doesn't really meet my needs either but that isn't going to be the case for everyone. However there isn't anyone here that knows if its going to do well or not.

Nicely put.

Quote:

The first factual data we will have will be pre orders if that number is released. It should give at least some kind of marker in terms of interest. Long term sales is another story.

We already have pre-order interest data from Norwegia. Of course, one country's interest does not make for overall or longterm interest otherwise Germany's Top 40 #1 hit last week would not have been Tik Tok by Ke$ha (or is that K€sha in Europe?).
  • Reply 78 of 106
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nicely put.

We already have pre-order interest data from Norwegia. Of course, one country's interest does not make for overall or longterm interest otherwise Germany's Top 40 #1 hit last week would not have been Tik Tok by Ke$ha (or is that K?sha in Europe?).

Are pre-orders at first only going to be in the US?

I am not sure this is something I would pre-order, with tech stuff like this I like to give it a try out first just to make sure its really something I like. However I tend to have it better when it comes to Apple then most people because I have two Apple Stores within 20 miles of my house. First one is only about 10 mins away.

Also my wife wants the 3G model so I am going to have to wait anyways for that to be release which should at least give me a month to see if there are any issue. One thing Apple did for me this year is make my wedding anniversary shopping easy..lol
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Here is how I am viewing the iPad...

When I'm at home, I watch movies on our HD TV

When I'm driving in my car, I play music from my iPhone

When I need to use a computer at home, I use our MacBook Pro

When I travel on business, I have to take along my God-Forsaken Dell work laptop...and since I don't want to carry two computers...I'll take the iPad for movies, internet access, games, and other functions that I cannot do on my work laptop...

I also read a lot. I typically have a book with me at all times. With the iPad...I'll be able to have multiple books with me...at work, when I travel (business or pleasure), and at home.

Also, at home we'll be able to use the iPad for many things without having to carry the bigger laptop from room to room.

Is the iPad the ultimate device ? No...

But, it is a perfect fit for what I need it to do...
  • Reply 80 of 106
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

IMO, with respect to movies, the content presentation is horrible. The device uses the 20th century 3:4 aspect ratio, while most modern video fits better on 16:9. And the 'Pad will not display in HD.

In my opinion this is possible Apples biggest mistake with iPad. The lack of HD support is appaling. Close behind is their stinginess with respect to flash storage. These to items combined have convinced me that Apple really isn't after the video market with this device.

Thus it looks like we need to wait even longer for a Video iPod device. This in and of itself isn't a bad thing, if one accepts that iPad is meant to be a book or publications reader. For many of us the lack of an HD aspect ratio is a big disappointment.

Quote:

Additionally, the lack of flash kills it as a 'web browser. So far today, I've watched two videos on news sites, the latest being an Al Jazeera piece on the mideast peace talks. With a 'Pad, that would not have been possible.

Flash on iPhone based devices and peace in the middle east have one thing in common, that is it will never happen. At least not with the mindset seen in the leadership in both areas.

Quote:

So for content consumption, IMO, the 'Pad is so deficient as to be unacceptable.

Well yes and no. It certainly sucks with respect to movies and there is no way around that. The web is another discussion altogether and depends upon your respective support of the two competeing positions.

The first reality is that Flash does suck even on a Windows platform. One can not even debate that. On the flip side you have Apple pushing for more open software and the total avoidance if Flash. It could be argued that supporting Apple is a more moral approach to life.

Dave