Sun former CEO: Steve Jobs threatened to sue us over patents too

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Jonathan Schwartz is wining. It seems Sun tried reinvent itself but really couldn't figure it out what they wanted to be when then grew up. Others passed them by. Life goes on.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Are you talking about Steve Jobs or Steve Balmer. They both seem the same foul mouthed idiots these days. Spew before they think and bad mouth the competition.

That is not my idea of a good man, company or cult.

AI Quote:

?Schwartz said that Jobs called him personally in 2003 "to let me know the graphical effects [in Sun's Project Looking Glass project] were ?stepping all over Apple?s [Intellectual Property]." If Sun decided to release the product commercially, Jobs reportedly threatened to sue for infringement. ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

CEOs calling one another to inform them they are infringing on their IP instead of using lawyers as intermediaries sounds awfully gentlemanly.

Quote:

Steve Jobs is not a gentleman and never has been.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your shift has started.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The next time you have lunch with him tell him I said hi.

Quote:

I wouldn't have lunch with Steve Jobs. He'd probably tell me he forgot his wallet and make me pay for it. Plus the thought of it makes me lose my appetite (much like your postings).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Steve Jobs probably can eat for free at many places, so him not having a wallet isn't a problem

Quote:

Parking in Handicap Parking Spaces is about as low and uncaring as they come. Steve Jobs does it with a smile on his face. Pitiful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Dude, your (sic) so full of shit. STFU. No wait, I'll add you to my ignore list.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're a fool. Steve's never cheap at lunch and he always buys. And if he's having lunch with you he values you more than you know. Hell, just go to 1 Infinite Loop during the day and say hello to whoever you want.

Of course it helps if people know you and you work there. Otherwise, you're just a stalker.

None of these myths about Steve are remotely true, with one exception. If you're in a meeting with the man, don't waste his time. He doesn't waste time with fans who want to work at Apple, just to giggle about the history. He wants talent and people with ideas.

I always found it amazing how people take offense to straight talkers, who are bluntly objective and aren't there to cultivate relationships as if a CEO and staff are going to be best friends.

Quote:

Are you talking about Steve Jobs or Steve Balmer. They both seem the same foul mouthed idiots these days. Spew before they think and bad mouth the competition.

That is not my idea of a good man, company or cult.

So where in all of this did you ever get confused or lost that the Steve that you decided to bash was Ballmer?

BTW you have a masters? Did you have to do a dissertation or was it a mail order degree?
  • Reply 83 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft only begrudgingly did the least amount of work necessary to get its existing Mac Office running on the new Mac OS X, using Apple's legacy Carbon environment rather than porting Office to use the advanced new Cocoa frameworks.

Wow, nice revisionist history there, pal. Can I suggest a title for you autobiography?

"Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Fanboy Blogger in the Fight against Microsoft"
  • Reply 84 of 88
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

It's from 'The Wizard of Oz', oh wise one. Go upstairs and ask your mother about it, she might have a copy on VHS you could watch.

I'd advise against that crap. Listen to the MC900ft Jesus version for a change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-AvBjBm5k or look at the mcfarlane figs how Dorothy really should have been looked like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Since Microsoft doesn't like anyone to play in the sandbox with them, and Apple lets ANYONE play in their sandbox

Tell that to the iphone devs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

until all of you Windows users have a moment of clarity and finally switch to Mac!

that won't happen until macs have the freshness of other computers in the inside as well. Making processor updates 4 times slower then Intel just does not cut it. Not to mention GFX cards as there is none for the Mac that half decent.

And of course there is the price as many geeks just won't buy into the premium price to get the support they don't need when they know a bit more than those "geniuses".
  • Reply 85 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

"...Oklahoma State University has agreements with Microsoft Corporation..." and "...OSU’s Microsoft Campus Agreement..."

You must of missed these parts... As someone would did software licensing for MIT, the university most definitely bought an Academic site license for their students and faculty. So no, it wasn't free in the grand scheme of things and you probably paid for it through technology fees just like I do.

So who's talking up the BS?

You must have missed the part where I didn't say MS gave its software for free. Yes I know I pay IT fees (thanks for reminded me ). Most universities don't have such agreements and students need to buy the software if they want to install it on their own computer, even if they pay those fees.

Quote:

Fortunately for me, all MS software (Windows XP to 7, Office (Mac & Windows) .. etc) are provided free of charge for ALL students in our university.

Otherwise, thanks for proving that I was correct.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Otherwise, thanks for proving that I was correct.

Indeed. When people say free they of course mean it's free for them as everyone knows nothing in life is free. But really, do we care who paid for something that was free for me? Personally, I don't.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    so let me get this straight....

a failed CEO of a now-defunct tech company is bitter and angry he ruined and failed to revive the once-mighty tech company.

wants to set the record straight and show the world he's not a LOSER and tries to over-compensate by blogging about something that happened 9 years ago...name-drops to make it look like he's somehow in the same league of one of the greatest CEOs and Visionaries of all-time..puts a positive spin to make him look good...

why is this news again?
  • Reply 88 of 88
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

This reeks of me-too-ism... as in... it's not stealing, in fact, somehow even though I'm infringing I'm the victim type of claim.

Exactly. He should actually be glad that Steve gave him a friendly warning instead of waiting & just suing them when the infringement was made. Sounds to me more like Steve offered up a gentlemanly gesture to an old friend rather than making a threat. Apple owns a patent on the Dock design & they should have every right to protect that patent.