Verizon sees Wi-Fi-only iPad as opportunity to sell 3G data plans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

MiFi and WiFi only iPad only makes sense if you are already stuck on MiFi contract or similar (eg Palm Pre Plus). For new customers who need always on data connection then AT&T and 3G iPad is better option.

Either way, it is win-win for Apple.

Except if you're in a place where AT&T's signal is crap. At that point, it doesn't matter how cheap AT&T's service is if you can't get a signal.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you can connect and hulu level stream at least 5 devices

ANY DEVICES

a 50 ft or larger circle of WIFI ness surrounds you and your loved ones

by 2012 mifi on 4g/7g network;s will give us up to 50 mbp's . power

wouldn't that also be one of the best ways to hit that 5 GB limit in no time?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    It's only an opportunity for V regarding those people that bought the line that ATT is inferior. I HOPE some use V, more bandwidth for the rest of us.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

At $30/month, month-to-month, maybe. At $60/month tied into a 2-year contract, no way in hell.

But for that $60/month you get that reliable network! And don't forget the map... Must never forget the map...
  • Reply 25 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm wondering about peoples experience beyond Verizon especially upstate NY. Things like MiFi have the obvious advantage of servicing the iPad and a guys other WiFi enabled devices. So anyone have Sprint experiences to share or any other mobile provider for that matter.

It's been awhile since shopping for mobile services so I'm not up to date. What is certain though is that AT&T has a very good plan in conjunction with iPad. It is also obvious that they have already underestimated demand. At least public statements are not to encouraging.

In the end though I suspect that the next generation iPhone will win my dollars. Unless I subcome to the tactile wonder.

Dave
  • Reply 26 of 55
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm wondering about peoples experience beyond Verizon especially upstate NY. Things like MiFi have the obvious advantage of servicing the iPad and a guys other WiFi enabled devices. So anyone have Sprint experiences to share or any other mobile provider for that matter.

If I recall correctly, Cnet blogger Daniel Terdiman (or perhaps someone else) did a series of anecdotal articles/blog entries that described his experience with the Sprint MiFi in Southwest USA. Please do search yourself.

What I basically got out of the article is that the device isn't free, the contract is long/pricey (like a cellphone), service quality is dependent on where you are (no surprise there), and that there is a bandwidth cap.

Essentially, these are the same issues if you bought a new smartphone in a new places with a new operator (apart from the bandwidth cap constraint).

Understandably, anecdotal evidence is worth very little on the Internet. This has been captured in convenient acronyms such as YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

. . . So anyone have Sprint experiences to share . . .

My experience with Sprint is that their employees are addicted liars. Month after month they would change what I would have to pay, constantly stating that the rate I was paying was not valid and then raise it. When they stated that a manager would call back, none ever would. They even used tech support on my USB modem as an excuse to cancel a grandfathered unlimited plan to be limited to 5GB (naturally they lied when I asked three times if I would be able to keep the unlimited plan as they tried to fix the modem).

I wondered i we would have the same issues with AT&T and can say that we have not. Employer based credits work as advertised and no funny business. Yes AT&T has more limited coverage, but not having to call literally every two weeks and be lied to and being told, "Im sorry, the other agent was wrong" is worth it.

Some people that I work with like T-Mobile for their customer service, but the coverage is horrible.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post

All these mentions of $14.99/250MB; $29.99/5GB; or $59.99 for MiFi. Can somebody please share with us what the real cost of the service is on your monthly bill after you add all the endless taxes and fees?

I believe the iPads $29.99 data plan is unlimited (no 5GB limit). I pay something like $11/month on government fees and taxes on my $119/month family plan. Check AT&T website.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Even if you don't plan to get the AT&T data plan, you might still want to get the 3G version of the iPad if you want GPS. The WiFI version doesn't have GPS. Besides that, I don't know how I'll really use it, how much, etc., so I'd rather have the option to get the data plan save $130 and be sorry later.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Omg, here we go again Verizon? When will you guys ever stop. Just suck it up, & know that you've tried your best at trying to get at it. Apple has had a longer, friendlier, and workable relationship with At&t for atleast more then 5 years.

Apple is known for their speedy and amazing products in a thin device. THAT'S WHY THEY MARKET THEM! That's why they want a good, fast data network- AT&T. People just baisically want "service". But what they really do want is reliability at the mobile browser. Verizon and reliabilty in mobile browsing don't mix! Verizon doesn't even get service at all over the place. Sprint has faster service.

For what at&t price plan is asking for, I think it's just fine & workable. & should be.

You get fast 3G speeds, rolloverminutes, talk & browse, at&t wifi hotspots, etc. And all for starting price at $70(plus unlimited text for 20 dollars more.)

Like I said, people are mostly looking for service, but what they don't get is that the service is pretty much slow. Atleast that's what I've heard and experience everyother week on tech websites.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Meh....chances are in the UK we'll get an orange or vodafone ipad, which are the best networks. So long american fighty-over-which-iphone-network people.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you can connect and hulu level stream at least 5 devices

ANY DEVICES

a 50 ft or larger circle of WIFI ness surrounds you and your loved ones

by 2012 mifi on 4g/7g network;s will give us up to 50 mbp's . power

Oh no! And me without my muffs! No offense, but geeking about about TV just doesn't turn my crank.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    How do you say "DO NOT WANT" in Verizonish? serves them right for rejecting the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Dave

Well upstate NY is pretty big. 'Round where I travel in the Mid-Hudson Valley (mainly the environs of Columbia, Greene, Ulster and Duchess), Verizon has poor coverage, Sprint is even worse, T-Mobile is non-existent, but AT&T rules. That is probably because they bought up the previous local provider, Cellular One; also Cingular had already established a strong presence before they became AT&T.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike3k View Post

I'd love to buy a MiFi if it was available contract-free. I'm planning to buy the WiFi only iPad, but I'd love to have something like the MiFi with it, although I won't buy a MiFi if it requires a contract.

http://www.expansys.com/s.aspx?search=mifi UK site

http://www.expansys-usa.com/s.aspx?search=mifi USA Site

There are a few variations on expansys
  • Reply 36 of 55
    stottmstottm Posts: 14member
    Danger Danger Will Robinson!

---------------------------------------------

The MiFi has been completely hacked! That means someone nearby could literally break into your precious MiFi and reprogram it. They can intercept all traffic, etc. You are NOT safe on a MiFi...

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/ve...-hacked-020310

My company asked me to evaluate the MiFi products from Verizon and Sprint and I found they are all vulnerable at the router level and at the encryption level.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1586994]The microSIM simply removes more of the plastic, but you can cut down a regular SIM card if needed. The reason the iPad only works with AT&T in the US is because it's GSM-based, but does not contain the wonky spectrum used for T-Mobile USA's '3G'. That means it will work on T-Mobile USA, but only at '2G' (GPRS/EDGE) speeds.

That is cool, as there is an actual alternative to ATT IF THEY RAISE THE PRICE AFTER A FEW MONTHS FOR THIS SERVICE... The fact that they are offering it with no contract is a "flag" indicator that this is maybe a short term offering. Contracts usually are presented to lock a customer in at a more competitive price - not so in this case. Yet, to keep Apple and the customer happy with this lower price offering, ATT has successfully held on to the crown.. And, with the magic $499 price point being a strong draw, i wonder if the price of this give away will end up being small enough not to be a real problem. if the sales are 4 or even 3 to one in favor of the 499 price point - the first two years sales might be as little as 10 million units..

As much as I wanted to see apple roll out their products to Verizon this year - just to be a good consumer electronics company and expand to meet real consumer demand if nothing else. Sometimes exclusivity in CE can go on for years successfully. This low ball price example from ATT tells a relationship story perfectly, where the two parties have become so entrenched with each other that they do work around solutions like $15 give away prices to keep things cozy.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The microSIM simply removes more of the plastic, but you can cut down a regular SIM card if needed. The reason the iPad only works with AT&T in the US is because it's GSM-based, but does not contain the wonky spectrum used for T-Mobile USA's '3G'. That means it will work on T-Mobile USA, but only at '2G' (GPRS/EDGE) speeds.

Verizon is matching AT&T here. If you look at AT&T for 3G USB cards which can be used across PCs, you'll see they charge $60/month for 5GB. Only the iPad on AT&T gets the special deal since the network connection can't be shared freely, thus there is little chance for the user abusing the connection.

FALSE. There is no correlation between sharing a data connection and abusing it. Zero. Stop pandering this nonsense.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

FALSE. There is no correlation between sharing a data connection and abusing it. Zero. Stop pandering this nonsense.

Abuse is a obviously a subjective term. From the AT&T perspective any user over 1GB is probably an 'abuser' vs. the average which is probably under 100MB per month (all my non-tethering friends are <100MB even though they use theirs a lot). Anyone smart/geeky enough to want to share their connection is more likely to be a high bandwidth user (tethering to laptops etc.) which scares the carriers. I wouldn't call it abuse either but we don't own a network getting crushed by a smallish minority of users.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Abuse is a obviously a subjective term. From the AT&T perspective any user over 1GB is probably an 'abuser' vs. the average which is probably under 100MB per month (all my non-tethering friends are <100MB even though they use theirs a lot). Anyone smart/geeky enough to want to share their connection is more likely to be a high bandwidth user (tethering to laptops etc.) which scares the carriers. I wouldn't call it abuse either but we don't own a network getting crushed by a smallish minority of users.

All of the "more than likely profiling" nonsense has got to go. There is no small group of power users bringing down any network. AT&T has the bandwidth to support an insane amount of traffic, but they routinely govern people's usage. I fully believe they actively slow down your personal connection when your megabyte-per-hour ratio exceeds a certain preset. This is so you cannot spend 5 or 10 hours a day downloading a 4 gb torrents, even with an unlimited plan which guarantees your right to do that, by law, by definition of the word.

Cannot wait for this to be proven in court. I'll be the first name to sign that Class Action law suit, just as my dad was among the first to sign the last one against AT&T (re: illegal ETFs).