Game developers eye the Mac after Steam's jump to Apple

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Apple will never ever release a cheap desktop that is upgradable,

it contradicts the strategy they've used throughout their lifespan.

iMac is the closest thing to a product for gamers Apple is releasing.

Recently they finally started putting decent graphic cards in them.

Apple is more than twelve years old, FYI. Even after Jobs returned to the company, for a while they did make affordable upgradeable towers.

The 4850 is the best card available for an iMac right now. That's a very decent card but $1999.99 is not a decent price. At that price, I could have a 5870-equipped machine with enough left over for accessories and a monitor (before you ask: yes, a 27" monitor). Most gamers know this and Apple isn't going to get any of them with the machines they currently offer.

Troll a video game board some time with a Mac thread and you'll see the hurdle Apple has to overcome to win over anyone that Steam for OS X would benefit.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus View Post

Apple is more than twelve years old, FYI. Even after Jobs returned to the company, for a while they did make affordable upgradeable towers.

The 4850 is the best card available for an iMac right now. That's a very decent card but $1999.99 is not a decent price. At that price, I could have a 5870-equipped machine with enough left over for accessories and a monitor (before you ask: yes, a 27" monitor). Most gamers know this and Apple isn't going to get any of them with the machines they currently offer.

Troll a video game board some time with a Mac thread and you'll see the hurdle Apple has to overcome to win over anyone that Steam for OS X would benefit.

And it's not an AIO form factor, with an H-IPS panel and more.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And it's not an AIO form factor, with an H-IPS panel and more.

A. That it's not an AIO is an advantage.

B. What good will the monitor be when the computer it's grafted to becomes too slow to play anything?

C. By "and more" I assume you're humourously referring to the SD card reader? Did your point-and-shoot camera somehow not come with a USB cable?
  • Reply 64 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Actually detail is not incredible, most PS3 games are running on 720p and with nVidia 7800 graphics and 256MB of video memory there is only that much you can get even with all the possible optimization and fine tuning... I have recently compared Assassin Creed on my PC and on my PS3, having both plugged to 42" full HD TV. Visual difference was obvious, PC running game in full HD with better textures and smoother gameplay (Intel quad core with nVidia 8800 GT), but that being said PS3 version was still more than good enough.

I found that too. The consoles really don't look that much better than mid-range PCs. The advantage is in the cost. You essentially get mid-range PC quality graphics for a very low price and exclusive games and you don't have to install all manner of upgrades and DRM software or wait 20 minutes for the game to install.

The PC is a solid alternative to a console when you actually get a game up and running and the games are cheaper because they aren't subsidizing a console but the platform is held back by the piracy, low-end graphics in affordable machines (especially on the Mac) and fewer good games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

Even if Steam is secure, the entire premise of games (the most pirated commodity out there) coming to the Mac is a not good with regard to security in the long run due to PEBKAC.

I don't think game piracy has any impact on OS security unless perhaps you mean that pirated versions of games will encourage more people to bundle trojans. Steam itself only verifies the game installation as you boot the game up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus

Most gamers know this and Apple isn't going to get any of them with the machines they currently offer.

I agree, it will mainly be for Mac users who could use a game delivery platform that is popular with publishers, not to attract PC gamers over. Aspyr have their own digital store already but will probably support Steam.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

WASD + mouse = real controls.

I used to think so but a single analog controller can control your entire movement with just your thumb as well as allow walking and running without holding shift and crouch if it's a clickable stick. Essentially to do the same as a stick requiring 1 thumb, you need 6 fingers on the keyboard.