HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 262
    The battery life on the HP tablet is much shorter than the iPhone, and it will be a lot of thicker and heavier unit. Windows 7 is also much bulkier than OS iPhone OS that affect the operation. And application compatibility across whatever touch UI for Windows 7 sets tablet is useless if you try to use a pointer-precision UI with a fat finger.
  • Reply 262 of 262
    ben10ben10 Posts: 4member
    So, Wait, forget all this stuff about Flash for a moment. When I turn on an HP slate and try to configure my network settings, screen brightness, email accounts or any of the other myriad of Windows 7 related settings am I going to face standard Windows 7 dialog boxes, with their tiny checkboxes, radio buttons, edit fields, OK/Cancel buttons, etc?

All these videos of the Slate seem to show either a skinned interface or a touch application running in the foreground, but I imagine I would still have to go (frequently) into the land of standard Windows UI to get some basic things done. And this is what I think is the failing of all the non-iPad devices: underneath the (very shallow) surface layer is a very standard, non finger-friendly, dektop-class UI that was meant to be driven via a keyboard and mouse.

Can you imagine trying to run Outlook, Word, or Excel on one of these devices using your fingers only? Or is MS going to come up with touch versions of these apps like Apple has done ?