Microsoft exec says Apple's HTC suit 'is not necessarily a bad thing'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

some brand-new handsets are still shipping with 1.4 for example

Can you prove your point and provide at least 1 (one) phone that is shipping with Android 1.4?
  • Reply 42 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's not necessarily a bad thing according to MS when it's about a shared rival.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Google is the most evil. They are the ones trying to kill Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

Can you prove your point and provide at least 1 (one) phone that is shipping with Android 1.4?

well the crappy motorola black flip on At&t. Dumbed down missing key features like google maps,lots of at&T APPS you must pay for software like gps navigtion, which is free with all other carriers. They even make YAHOO the search engine, yet running on android software. This is what happens when a carrier,or some cases a manufacture, or in some arguments at directly the iphone that has led to it's hacking, the argument for open access. Why Android is becoming popular.

Correction: It's Android 1.5. Still, Lacks all the luster of the Android handsets out there. At&t doesn't even advertise it as Android.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Correction: It's Android 1.5

I'm still waiting for at least 1 (one) phone running Android 1.4
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

I'm still waiting for at least 1 (one) phone running Android 1.4

Yes Gin Tonic. You are correct. I use both 1.5 & 2.1 that's rooted & it's no big deal with other applications android or not. Also no big deal with a Mac or P.C. .......Which is refreshing.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    The Microsoft board finally grew a pair and told Balmer to shut his pie hole.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Microsoft never innovates. They just copy Apple.

Google sun looking glass. You'll see a lot of leopard features like 8 years ago.

And I'm an apple apologist but google a d msft and if the courier is real? Phone also looks great. No crazy fees. Might be dumping this phone soon. Just to much money.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

MS is totally transparent on this one. HTC is moving away from WinMo into Android, and Android is a gun pointed at WinMo's head right now. If Apple wins and Android has to go back to the drawing board on all those points, HTC and others will come crawling back to MS for a couple years. Maybe long enough for WinMo to solidify it's position and leave Android as a fringe player for the duration.

MS will be doing enough things just a little differently and be able to use prior defensive patents to dissuade Apple from taking WinMo on in court. MS knows this. Apple knows this.

So the suit against HTC can only help MS. Either WinMo gets more business if Android gets it's little metal nose tweaked, or if Apple loses WinMo can be more blatant in copying without fear.

Seems like a very good analysis.

MS seems to be less ui-copying in the mobile area. They desperately want to be different, from Apple. That doesn't make them more able to be user experience driven, but it looks to me (from the little I have seen) that Android is far more iPhone OS like than WinMo 7.

In terms of strategy and the art of corporate war and totally off topic: why did Apple let their 45 days for buying AdMob expire? Paranoid minds would suspect that it was a play to let Google overspend on AdMob after which Apple picked up (their original target) Quattro.

One thing seems clear: Jobs is mightily angry with Google, probably because Schmidt was on Apple's board and had a lot of insight in Apple's strategy.

There is one thing I should like for Apple to do: approve other App Stores for iPhone OS. The stranglehold on apps by one player feels unhealthy in the long run.