First-gen iPhone, Droid sold 8 times better than Nexus One debut

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 96
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jluptak17;1591585

    This was the bigger story anyway:



    [url



    http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/3/comScore_Reports_January_2010_U.S._Mobile_Subscrib er_Market_Share[/url]



    That is just wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Google is all about betas. It's just another beta effort.



    I think Google views a T-Mobile launch as exactly that. A beta.

    Bring it out on T-Mobile, work out the bugs, then put it on a real network.



    I don't know that it's necessarily a bad approach. It's certainly Google-y.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
  • Reply 24 of 96
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post


    Android is all fragments. That is why nobody likes it.



    The Android SDK could be easier to work with, too.



    It's a variety of things that make Android the not-so-killer iPhone-killer.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post


    That is just wrong.



    Could you be more specific or are you just commenting generically?
  • Reply 26 of 96
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    The Droid ads were pretty intense. Plus Droid is a strong name for a certain audience. Marketing matters.





    The word "Droid" did not make me go out and want to buy one. Of course, I have never done drugs so... I have been done with my AT&T contract since last Oct. and I could have gotten a Android device but I think I will wait for the next gen iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quadra 610 View Post


    the android sdk could be easier to work with, too.



    It's a variety of things that make android the not-so-killer iphone-killer.





    and its open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    And it has teh flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    And it multitasks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 96
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post


    The word "Droid" did not make me go out and want to buy one. Of course, I have never done drugs so...



    That's OK. Steve does drugs, and he is in charge. Just buy what he invent's.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    I've played with it. One of my clients has one. It seemed as good or almost as good as my iPhone. The problem is, you can't walk into a T-Mobile store and play with it. You can only buy it online. This is a major bone head move on Google's part (in my opinion). Imagine if people could never walk into a store and play with the iPhone, and Apple only sold it online. I think they would have sold quite a few less units.



    Google has blown it. They have a really nice phone that is comparable to the iPhone on many levels, but you can't play with it and you can only buy it online.



    Stupid move!
  • Reply 30 of 96
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


    Thanks for verifying what we've all been presuming:

    http://labs.moto.com/diy-touchscreen-analysis/

    http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_iPhone_ShootOut.htm

    The Nexus One has an epic failure of a screen, not some magical organic gorgeousness.



    This failure of Zune proportions has gotta be embarrassing for Google. After years of rumour/speculation, the fabled G-Phone flopped like a soggy cookie. I'm waiting for the real iPhone killer to upgrade from my 3G: iPhone 4



    I'm too waiting for the next iPhone-killer iPhone

    This year I'll be getting iPad, Mac mini and iPhone. I already got a new nano back in Jan.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    These sales figures are mostly an issue of marketing, imo. In any event, I'm still switching from my three year old, original iPhone when the N1 comes to Verizon next week. I live such a Google dependent life, it simply serves my needs better.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post


    These sales figures are mostly an issue of marketing, imo. In any event, I'm still switching from my three year old, original iPhone when the N1 comes to Verizon next week. I live such a Google dependent life, it simply serves my needs better.



    its very hard to type with this thing compared to iphone....do some serious research before you jump in is my advice...
  • Reply 33 of 96
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    Were people really expecting stronger sales on the #4 network? T-Mobile is a big part of the N1's problem. The other is of course the near complete absence of advertising safe for some on-line banner ads.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    its very hard to type with this thing compared to iphone....do some serious research before you jump in is my advice...



    The iPhone keyboard is faster than any other one.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post




    Love the signature BTW AppleInsider's mobile app is infuriating at best.



    The fade-in fade-out is a little annoying - but given that I check comments as much if not more than the articles - changing to a normal web-page that exits the mobile formatting, makes the whole exercise pointless and annoying. Read squinty type - zoom zoom zoom - flip - scroll scroll scroll.



    Yech.



    Oh well, it'll all be moot in a few weeks when I get the iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,290member
    It would be interesting to see how well the gen 4 iPhone would sell if it became available on Verizon as well. Probably shatter any sales records the 3GS had.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    It would be interesting to see how well the gen 4 iPhone would sell if it became available on Verizon as well. Probably shatter any sales records the 3GS had.



    Apple would have to put the "limit 2 per" condition. Or they'll find themselves running low on stock.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post


    The fade-in fade-out is a little annoying - but given that I check comments as much if not more than the articles - changing to a normal web-page that exits the mobile formatting, makes the whole exercise pointless and annoying. Read squinty type - zoom zoom zoom - flip - scroll scroll scroll. ....



    Yeah, I'm not sure I have any constructive suggestions on what would be better.



    I find the little moving tool bar to be very annoying indeed. I find it annoying on Google's app too, but I guess someone must actually like that since Google does it. On the other hand at times I use the regular webpage on the phone, but it makes the commenting pretty hard because of all the zooming and the microscopic text as you say.



    I also notice most web-site forums have glitches when you access them with a mobile device. At some point you always get into a situation where your comment has floated down in the comment box and given there is no scroll bar on the box, is then completely inaccessible. You can no longer edit, but you can't post it because it isn't finished. I think this is because in the coding of the "preview" button, no one expects the refreshed page to be smaller than the comment box siting on the page, so no allowance has been made for that situation.



    I can think of at least a few times when i've written some opus length comment on my iPhone and had to throw it away and start over because of the standard comment system has left me in an un-editable situation like that.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    Yeah, I'm not sure I have any constructive suggestions on what would be better.



    How about a native AI app. Kinda like the IMDb app being better than actually going to the site via Safari. Then again, if they don't format it properly (similar to the way they formatted the iPhone version of the website), then it'll be useless.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post


    I've played with it. One of my clients has one. It seemed as good or almost as good as my iPhone. The problem is, you can't walk into a T-Mobile store and play with it. You can only buy it online. This is a major bone head move on Google's part (in my opinion). Imagine if people could never walk into a store and play with the iPhone, and Apple only sold it online. I think they would have sold quite a few less units.



    Google has blown it. They have a really nice phone that is comparable to the iPhone on many levels, but you can't play with it and you can only buy it online.



    Stupid move!





    that and you can't use a Nexus One on family plans
Sign In or Register to comment.