iPad prompts changes to way magazines count circulation

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Though it's yet to hit the market, Apple's iPad is already changing the rules of the games when it comes to how magazines quantify their readership and distribution, unlocking the potential for more lucrative advertising contracts with their sponsors.

According to the Associated Press, the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) -- a non-profit audit agency that assesses circulation, readership, and audience information for magazines and newspapers -- has altered its definition of a digital magazine to include the emerging class of tablet-style devices.

This means that magazine publishers can design their article spreads to be accessed by applications on the iPad and count paid digital subscriptions to those apps as part of their overall circulation, given that they include the same content and advertisements as their print-based counterparts.

Had the ABC not instated the change, publishers would only be able to count digital editions of their magazines that existed as exact facsimiles of their print editions, according to the AP, affording them little leeway in customization for gadgets like the iPad.

"Magazines need the change because they charge for ads based on the size of their so-called rate base, the circulation they guarantee to advertisers," the report explains. "By comparison, newspapers have had looser restrictions. Because they don't guarantee a rate base, they can count people who pay for access to their Web sites regardless of what ads run there."

There's one caveat, however: the ABC must approve each iPad app, and those for other tablet platforms, before its subscribers can be counted as part of the magazine's overall circulation.

A version of Conde Nast's Wired magazine is said to be among the first apps to receive such approval. The publishing firm is also reportedly working on similar apps for its GQ, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and Glamour offerings.

Apple's iPad goes on sale April 3th in the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Apple moves, the world changes. It's nice not to be marginal anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Shouldn't magazines simply consult Google regarding AdWords?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I hear you!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The iPad's prompting a lot of things.

Once again, Apple is showing the way forward.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    Many of the hit iphone apps developers already made their iPad versions...

they all going to be live soon!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    This is good news for my company since we have allot of fashion and advertising work in the mix. The budgets keep getting trimmed or projects are cut entirely, so with better numbers and increased circulation things could improve for the market overall.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Hate to tell you, but if you're an end-user, you're more marginal than you've ever been.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Hate to tell you, but if you're an end-user, you're more marginal than you've ever been.

Care to explain what you mean?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Shouldn't magazines simply consult Google regarding AdWords?

No, because next to print ads, the online Google stuff is still like sitting at the kids table. Sure the toys are new and cool, but the grown ups are still in print and TV.

The business/stock world is much more excited by Google's efforts than advertisers. Money on traditional ads is hard to qualify, web based stuff is even harder, especially because the "ignore" rate is much higher. I've been involved with tangible ad campaigns, always get responses form the print/TV stuff, never from anyone by AdWord.

I was the one who pushed for AdWords as well, and I was warned and learned the hard way. I've received a lot of similar opinion from ad company reps. It's pretty obvious, even the clumsy or dim who click on an online ad, quickly realize the mistake and start to learn not to do that. Even when your desperate looking for something obscure in a search, break down and try one of Google's suggestions - it's never what you want, just spam. So people subconsciously just ignore that little area on the results page. Negative reinforcement is one of the most effective ways to change behavior. Google knows this too, that's why they want to tailor search results based on your past history, and put the ads in your search.

There a very real possibility that Google is severely over-valued as an advertising tool, maybe even as a company... at any moment they are just 5 little bookmark characters away from obscurity. 90% of their revenue is based on people going to their search page. I'm sure if I can see that, they are very aware of it, and looking for solutions.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Shock horror. Sarcasm.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Try telling that to my father...

He'd likely bop you over the head for being an elitist techno-snob
  • Reply 12 of 31
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

No, because next to print ads, the online Google stuff is still like sitting at the kids table. Sure the toys are new and cool, but the grown ups are still in print and TV.

The business/stock world is much more excited by Google's efforts than advertisers. Money on traditional ads is hard to qualify, web based stuff is even harder, especially because the "ignore" rate is much higher. I've been involved with tangible ad campaigns, always get responses form the print/TV stuff, never from anyone by AdWord.

I was the one who pushed for AdWords as well, and I was warned and learned the hard way. I've received a lot of similar opinion from ad company reps. It's pretty obvious, even the clumsy or dim who click on an online ad, quickly realize the mistake and start to learn not to do that. Even when your desperate looking for something obscure in a search, break down and try one of Google's suggestions - it's never what you want, just spam. So people subconsciously just ignore that little area on the results page. Negative reinforcement is one of the most effective ways to change behavior. Google knows this too, that's why they want to tailor search results based on your past history, and put the ads in your search.

There a very real possibility that Google is severely over-valued as an advertising tool, maybe even as a company... at any moment they are just 5 little bookmark characters away from obscurity. 90% of their revenue is based on people going to their search page. I'm sure if I can see that, they are very aware of it, and looking for solutions.

There is always the right tool for the job. Adwords are a great idea. Keep the search results away from financial motivation and put a few relevant paid links on the side. If your looking to buy something, the paid links are often more relevant then the (financially) unbiased links. As a consumer, I find the adwords a useful tool. That is always the challenge of advertising. You need to get the consumer to *want* to view your add. Much better idea then banner ads. I hope to see the end of banner ads one day. I don't think banners are very effective. That is just an effort by the traditional print industry to move to the web. Those banner ads are filtered out by my browser anyway.

If you buy an adword, you need to make sure it will function as a tool for the user. If you buy the wrong words or your product/service doesn't make sense then it isn't going to work. If it is a product/service that is a hard sell, an Adword will do you no good. Anybody looking at adwords already have a basic idea of what they want.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

There a very real possibility that Google is severely over-valued as an advertising tool, maybe even as a company... at any moment they are just 5 little bookmark characters away from obscurity. 90% of their revenue is based on people going to their search page.

Yup, and nearly all of their revenue depends on the value of content they don't own.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Google is going DOWN! We will KILL them!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Care to explain what you mean?

Ignore the trolls
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Another thing causing magazines to jump into the iPad market whole-heartedly is the fact that the base demographics can afford a 499.99 e-reader / multimedia thingie. This isn't a snark - it's a very tasty (I'm talking tasty!) advertising group.

In short - they buy nice things. In long - ads for nice things generate more revenue than "End of days seeds".
  • Reply 17 of 31
    edougedoug Posts: 12member
    Yeah, there the "pro" side that this will probably spur iPad adoption by magazines, but on my (now sold) Kindle magazines had no advertisements at all.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Another thing causing magazines to jump into the iPad market whole-heartedly is the fact that the base demographics can afford a 499.99 e-reader / multimedia thingie. This isn't a snark - it's a very tasty (I'm talking tasty!) advertising group.

In short - they buy nice things. In long - ads for nice things generate more revenue than "End of days seeds".

I guess you're right. Funny thing is, I barely ever buy the paid version of an app so I doubt I'll be subscribing to any papers
  • Reply 19 of 31
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Think about how much more relavant the ads will get on the iPad. They can pull data info right from the cloud, and have the story matched up with an ad on the fly. Advertisements in magazines used to need to be designed for a long time frame, since it takes a week to a month for a new edition to come out. Plus the magazines would be left on counters, and second and third tier readers would read the ads, which are not necessarily target audience.

With the iPad the ads can be updated daily if needed, they are guaranteed to reach target audience (since you are the one reading) and are not the same each time you read the story (so you can share the same story with another company 50/50 and pay half for the ad space. In many ways this is a win win, as long as the magazines realize all this and take advantage, not try to force people to keep reading the same way as print used to be.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I hope also that iPad finally kills flash!