Real Questions Time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
iPad

We have discussed about the new iPad at nausea. So here I hope this will be the last Thread we will ever need until the 3rd of April!

There has been so many web articles and apparently none of the writers know anything about the iPad and it shows in the lack of information they bestow. So here we go!

Understatement #1

The 30 pin connector

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

This web page tells it all. The 30 pin connector serves as a USB port. ALL you need is the supported cable that is supplied with the iPad at its time of purchase.

This is what you get when you use this 30 pin connector:

A digital camera port for downloading pics.

A SD card reader for those who need to upload files

A computer connection

iPad Dock Connector for a fully functional real keyboard.

VGA Connector for when you want to pug the iPad into you flat screen tv or a projector

What's next.

All the types of files you can upload and use on the iPad:

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

This device will import or mail any of these file types and use them as their full function. Without of course Microsoft Office's ability to work on them.

Page, Number, and Keynote each are 9.99 and they are fully functional.

This devise will use Almost every app used by the iPhone and iPod Touch. There really isn't any difference with the exception of an enlarge button for full resolution viewing.

I am tired of the reports saying there is no GPS, so here we go.

Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

* Wi-Fi

* Digital compass

* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

For those so worried about audio and video play back here you go! Please read and if you don't believe me once again here you go!

Audio playback

* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

* Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

* User-configurable maximum volume limit

TV and video

* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Clarifications that must be put at rest!!!!!!

NO and for the last time people there will be NO iSight in this modal.

NO there will be no use of FLASH or FLASHLITE on the iPAD Web Browser experience.

YES it will support SKYPE! without the camera feature. Great joke holding the iPad up to you face when using it to make a phone call

Lets see any other rumors or question you may have for me?

Please post them if you wish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

Understatement #1

The 30 pin connector

This web page tells it all. The 30 pin connector serves as a USB port. ALL you need is the supported cable that is supplied with the iPad at its time of purchase.

A computer connection

VGA Connector for when you want to pug the iPad into you flat screen tv or a projector.

Serves as a USB port? No it doesn't. Besides, that cable you mention isn't supplied with the iPad, it's an extra purchase.

Quote:

Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

* Wi-Fi

* Digital compass

So by your own admission the WiFi model won't have GPS? The more expensive 3G model only.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Serves as a USB port? No it doesn't. Besides, that cable you mention isn't supplied with the iPad, it's an extra purchase.

So by your own admission the WiFi model won't have GPS? The more expensive 3G model only.

The cord is as follows:

Yes there are attachments of course.

The 16 pin connector is on one end and a USB is on the other end. The USB side has the connect ability.

In the box

* iPad

* Dock Connector to USB Cable

* 10W USB Power Adapter

* Documentation

Let me ask you this do your computers have intergraded GPS?

Why would a WiFI model have GPS anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I am soo impatient! I already got my free apps off the iTunes store!

Totally Free! Not bad so far. I need to spend .99 for a PDF Reader App but that's nothing compared to the 19.98 for two iWork apps.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I did some research and found out that any of the oldies but goodies books are going to be just plain free!

Any books like Shakespeare's stuff and others will be free! I know who cares about the old books but if your a Lit Major it is great.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

The 16 pin connector is on one end and a USB is on the other end. The USB side has the connect ability.

There's absolutely no way the USB cable will work with a USB coupler to add any sort of connectivity directly to the iPad. The only USB devices you will possibly be able to connect are cameras and card readers, using the optional camera connector (not the cable supplied with the iPad) and only then, for one way transfer of photos. There will be no other USB connectivity whatsoever.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

I did some research and found out that any of the oldies but goodies books are going to be just plain free!

Any books like Shakespeare's stuff and others will be free! I know who cares about the old books but if your a Lit Major it is great.

Yes. As mentioned on Apple's website, any ePub books will be readable using the iBooks application. Of course that includes any public domain books that have been made available in ePub format.

This equals the functionality of Stanza with regard to public domain books, which is a good thing indeed.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

I am soo impatient! I already got my free apps off the iTunes store!

Totally Free! Not bad so far. I need to spend .99 for a PDF Reader App but that's nothing compared to the 19.98 for two iWork apps.

The iPad can read PDFs just fine, natively, from web pages or email attachments. If you really need the ability to save and read PDFs offline without mailing them to yourself and downloading them in advance, there are many free apps available which can transfer files to the device for later viewing. Try ezShare Files. It can handle password protected PDFs as well as large PDFs not natively supported by the iDevice.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There's absolutely no way the USB cable will work with a USB coupler to add any sort of connectivity directly to the iPad. The only USB devices you will possibly be able to connect are cameras and card readers, using the optional camera connector (not the cable supplied with the iPad) and only then, for one way transfer of photos. There will be no other USB connectivity whatsoever.

iPad Keyboard Dock

The iPad Keyboard Dock combines a dock for charging your iPad with a full-size keyboard. The dock has a rear dock connector port, which lets you connect to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the iPad Camera Connection Kit. An audio line out port lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers (audio cable sold separately). P

iPad Dock

With the iPad Dock, you get easy access to a dock connector port for syncing or charging, and an audio line out port for connecting to powered speakers via an optional audio cable. The iPad Dock also supports other iPad accessories, such as the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter and the iPad Camera Connection Kit. Pre-order now

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera?s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

iPad 10W USB Power Adapter

The iPad 10W USB Power Adapter lets you charge your iPad directly through an electrical outlet. And the 6-foot-long power cord allows you to charge it from an even greater distance.

What you are not getting. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

The USB part will connect to a computer. The 16 pin connector attaches to a Card Reader or a Camera. And most importantly a HD Flatscreen TV or a projector. YES YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY THE ATTACHMENTS BY THEMSELVES OF COURSE.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

The cable allows you to download or upload to and from your iPad. You can buy a movie on the iPad and then download it to your Laptop for storage.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

The cable allows you to download or upload to and from your iPad. You can buy a movie on the iPad and then download it to your Laptop for storage.

Yes, to your laptop. But not to USB storage, which is what I was saying. You cannot download a movie on to your iPad and tranfer it to a USB hard drive, for instance. You seem to be claiming that you can just grab a USB anything and plug it into the iPad.

There is one thing that will connect to the USB side of the included iPad-to-USB connector. A computer.

There is one thing that will connect to the USB side of the optional USB camera connector. Some sort of USB mass storage with the standard directory structure used for images. And that will only transfer one way, and only transfer one type of media.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Yes, to your laptop. But not to USB storage, which is what I was saying. You cannot download a movie on to your iPad and tranfer it to a USB hard drive, for instance. You seem to be claiming that you can just grab a USB anything and plug it into the iPad.

There is one thing that will connect to the USB side of the included iPad-to-USB connector. A computer.

There is one thing that will connect to the USB side of the optional USB camera connector. Some sort of USB mass storage with the standard directory structure used for images. And that will only transfer one way, and only transfer one type of media.

The iPad does not download to a Portable USB HD, I never said it did. Download to a computer yes but not to a USB HD. If you are looking for portable memory then pay for the .Mac Services or any other that is internet based. I prefer .Mac myself, but I am sure there are others, maybe free storage sites.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I feel these are the most important and most needed on the day of your purchase.

A protective film... Always important to protect your screen.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BVU208?...5X0XSQRH1WJDY&

http://store.oemipad.com/Amzer-Super...ing-Cloth.html

http://store.oemipad.com/Amzer-Mirro...ing-Cloth.html

An really nice protective non-neoprene zipper case.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039YP0XQ?...CHCPQN0FA5HQD&

Some other non-sleeve travel cases...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...d-into-a-book/

http://longlivebooks.com/index.html

A nice stylist for those artist's out there

http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

Something fun and perhaps cost worthy to protect your iPad from dropping and breaking.

http://www.iballz.info/?gclid=CIuS8p...FYNo5Qodw0Qdmw

Some Retracting Cables

http://store.oemipad.com/Amzer-USB-R...ata-Cable.html

http://store.oemipad.com/Amzer-USB-R...ble-Black.html

Some AV Cables...

http://store.oemipad.com/Amzer-Composite-AV-Cable.html

A little better of a power adapter for travel...

http://store.oemipad.com/Apple-OEM-U...r-Adapter.html

Something you really don't need but is totally cool if they can do this for your iPad!

http://www.zagg.com/zaggskins/index....mp=top_nav_btn

There will be more as I get them.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    I will be Posting some cool web links to expand the 64 GB limit. I like Mobile Me. Its 99.00 a year. If there are anymore let me know.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Six More Days til the magical experience begins!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    I have over 22 free apps for my iPad already, and from what I heard there will be hundreds of free classic iBooks in the iBook store ready for download. Why all free you ask? I am not really sure. I guess so that sites like Ebay, or Weatherchannel or even Skype wants people to use their products or go on their sites.

I am happy though that Apple is not putting any charge to these Free Apps. Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

In the box

* iPad

* Dock Connector to USB Cable

* 10W USB Power Adapter

* Documentation

Let me ask you this do your computers have intergraded GPS?

Why would a WiFI model have GPS anyway?

Why would the WiFi have GPS? Since GPS is independent of cell network I can think of GPS reasons.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

The iPad does not download to a Portable USB HD, I never said it did.

Without realizing it, you did say that.

Quote:

The 30 pin connector serves as a USB port.

That's called a USB cable, not a USB port.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Without realizing it, you did say that.

That's called a USB cable, not a USB port.

Once again... http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Battery and power4

* Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

* Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

* Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

iPad

We have discussed about the new iPad at nausea. So here I hope this will be the last Thread we will ever need until the 3rd of April!

There has been so many web articles and apparently none of the writers know anything about the iPad and it shows in the lack of information they bestow. So here we go!

Understatement #1

The 30 pin connector

A computer connection

VGA Connector for when you want to pug the iPad into you flat screen tv or a projector

What's next.

All the types of files you can upload and use on the iPad:

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

This device will import or mail any of these file types and use them as their full function. Without of course Microsoft Office's ability to work on them.

Page, Number, and Keynote each are 9.99 and they are fully functional.

This devise will use Almost every app used by the iPhone and iPod Touch. There really isn't any difference with the exception of an enlarge button for full resolution viewing.

Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Wi-Fi + 3G model

* Data only2

* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

* Wi-Fi

* Digital compass

For those so worried about audio and video play back here you go! Please read and if you don't believe me once again here you go!

Audio playback

* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

* Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

* User-configurable maximum volume limit

TV and video

* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Clarifications that must be put at rest!!!!!!

NO and for the last time people there will be NO iSight in this modal.

NO there will be no use of FLASH or FLASHLITE on the iPAD Web Browser experience.

YES it will support SKYPE! without the camera feature. Great joke holding the iPad up to you face when using it to make a phone call

Lets see any other rumors or question you may have for me?

Please post them if you wish.

Where in here does it say that the port is a USB? I am sure the words used are "This web page tells it all. The 30 pin connector serves as a USB port. ALL you need is the supported cable that is supplied with the iPad at its time of purchase."