Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    I'd actually prefer Apple delay iPad app approvals for a week or two post-launch. That would at least give developers a chance to test on real world hardware.

I expect the apps submitted by the select group of developers given iPads to be good but I don't know about the rest. It's exciting both for us users and developers nonetheless.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Flash developers need not apply.

Don't stop with Flash... lets be honest...

Ada, APL, Applescript, AsmL, Assembly, Basic, BETA, C, C#, C++, Caml, CAT, CFML, Clarion, Cobol, Cobra, CULE, Eiffel, Flash, Forth, Fortran, Haskell, Hypercard, Java, Lexico, LISP, LOGO, Lua, Mercury, Modrian, Modula-2, Nemerle, Oberon, Pan, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Prolog, Python, RPG, Ruby, Scala, Scheme, Smalltalk, SML, Spry, Synergy, Tcl/Tk...

Need I go on?
  • Reply 23 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I'd actually prefer Apple delay iPad app approvals for a week or two post-launch. That would at least give developers a chance to test on real world hardware.

I expect the apps submitted by the select group of developers given iPads to be good but I don't know about the rest. It's exciting both for us users and developers nonetheless.

Tell you what. Sign up as a developer, download the SDK build, run and test your app in the devkit using the simulator. Then submit it to the store. No ipad required.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Flash developers need not apply.

Christ, are you still here?!?
  • Reply 25 of 76
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Tell you what. Sign up as a developer, download the SDK build, run and test your app in the devkit using the simulator. Then submit it to the store. No ipad required.

I'm not a developer nor do I plan to be.

Before the App Store opened, any developer could test their iPhone apps on an iPhone. Sure, it wasn't the iPhone 3G but it was hardware that gave them a good idea of how their app would feel.

Obviously Apple can't send every developer an iPad or even do one of those tours where they go around the country letting developers try out the iPad. Totally understandable.

An alternative would be to delay iPad app approvals a week or so. This would limit the selection of day one apps to those that ship on the iPad but it would also mean the apps released?at least some of them?would be tested in more than just the simulator.

This likely won't be an issue a month after launch but in the first few weeks, it could taint users' opinions of iPad apps. Hopefully Apple's app reviewers will test these apps on the iPad.

Fortunately, third party apps aren't as important for the iPad as they are on the iPhone/iPod touch because many of the most popular iPhone apps are those that optimize web content for its small 3.5" screen. The iPad's much larger 9.7" screen means those apps aren't as necessary anymore because you can browse the Web without constant zooming in/panning/zooming out.

I predict the big system seller for the iPad will be its web browser. It was for me.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

And what are you then?

I can be negative like the next person, but I can also be positive, unlike is possible for you.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Will there be fart and flashlight apps available?
  • Reply 28 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Why?.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

Flash Gordon need not apply.

At least he still has Dale Arden. Rrrrow.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Techstud is a negative person.

'Techstud' is an oxymoron
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Flash Gordon need not apply.

Don't you mean Flesh Gorden?
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:

I guess Apple prefers to have as many apps as possible on launch day, even if some have 'minor issues'.

Devs can always sumbit updates/bug fixes after launch, and the revision process is quite faster for updates than for initial review (they just check you didn't covertly add any boobies )
  • Reply 33 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

more like the mods/site admins are disssapointing...
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Show me the list!

I finally got around to watching the iPad intro video. Apparently, the App Store will have a separate iPad App section.

I'm glad I made my iPad pre-order!
  • Reply 35 of 76
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It will be a problem to release for a device without having the hardware. The simulator is not enough for a public release.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Of that we can be sure.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Christ, are you still here?!?

Between tekstud blatantly flaunting his ban and marvin the moderator spreading FUD about the iPad (the iPad has mobile phone level hardware and therefore won't be useful for artists looking for serious sketching/designing/layout/painting here) I'm starting to wonder what is up with this forum and what the heck the real admins are thinking.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Sounds like they want things to be just perfect for launch day, I can't wait.

Or they just want the store stocked for launch day to encourage iPad sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good to hear, sounds like they're committed to approving hundreds of apps by April 3rd, given the timeline and promise of secondary feedback / final launch submissions.

May not have to run many of those iPhone apps afterall

I wouldn't be surprised to see thousands of iPads-optimized apps by launch day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

but keep in mind that there's the best Flash to iphone convertor, which would at least get someone started on an iphone/ipad app. if it works as promised.

Absolutely!

Quote:

That wouldn't be good for business.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

They already exist. Scaling a flashlight app for the iPhone/Touch should work the same and come in handy for some, though less often than the pocketable device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It will be a problem to release for a device without having the hardware. The simulator is not enough for a public release.

Hopefully the reviewers are using iPads to test the apps.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

And what are you then?

No, no, no. He is not negative! He is not even real. Imaginary he is. But I suspect he wants to masquerade as complex.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:

And what are you then?

At the very least... minimally observant.