Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As Apple continues to test applications for use on its forthcoming multimedia iPad, nearly half fall into the games category, while just 3 percent are books.

New statistics from analytics firm Flurry provided to AppleInsider show that the lion's share of applications being tested on the iPad are games, which command 44 percent. The next most popular App Store category, in a distant second place with just 14 percent, is entertainment.

Peter Farago, vice president of marketing with Flurry, said the applications seen on iPhone OS 3.2 via the iPad have likely been used by Apple for testing purposes with its new hardware, due to be released April 3. He said the company is unable, however, to comment on the number of applications they are seeing, or the specific devices they are seeing them on.

Flurry's data was the first to spot hardware running iPhone OS 3.2 before Apple formally announced the iPad. The analytics firm found about 50 iPad devices were being tested prior to the iPad reveal in late January. At the time, many had incorrectly expected the new hardware would run iPhone OS 4.0.

The iPads were first spotted in October of 2009, but saw a dramatic increase in testing in January. At the time, it was said that tested applications had a strong focus on reading and news, though the vast majority were games.

Following the announcement of the iPad, Flurry found that developer interest in Apple's App Store nearly tripled. The company, which has tracking data in over 20,000 mobile applications, found that developers integrating Flurry analytics into iPhone OS applications in January dramatically increased from January. More than 1,600 new applications were started with Flurry in January, compared with under 600 in December.

That high interest from developers was reiterated last week, when the firm's latest Smartphone Industry Pulse survey was released. The company said a "significant increase" in new application starts was maintained through the month of February.

Apple has pitched the launch of the iPad as a "whole new gold rush" for developers, as the device and its 9.7-inch screen will run existing App Store software as well as new applications designed specifically for the hardware and its larger touchscreen. First released in January, the iPhone 3.2 beta software development kit allows developers to create iPad-specific software.

Last Friday, Apple began accepting iPad applications to the App Store. Applications submitted by March 27 that meet all of the requirements set forth by Apple should be available for the product launch on April 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    What did ya expect - productivity with the newest funnest toy?
  • Reply 2 of 102
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    So Apple keeps morphing into a SONY of the 21st century. So much for a serious computing platform with the iPad. iPad looks more and more like a toy mobile device than anything serious.

Oh well waiting for an i5 13" MBP, whenever Apple get back to serious computing that is.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    @ nearly half fall into the games category, while just 3 percent are books

I'm not surprised by that. I mean, how many book reading apps does someone need when Apple's own (yet unreleased) app will presumably be optimized for the hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Apple continues to test applications for use on its forthcoming multimedia iPad, nearly half fall into the games category, while just 3 percent are books.

By books, does the article mean ebook readers or really just books?

Sorry, just not sure. \
  • Reply 5 of 102
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

So Apple keeps morphing into a SONY of the 21st century. So much for a serious computing platform with the iPad. iPad looks more and more like a toy mobile device than anything serious.

Oh well waiting for an i5 13" MBP, whenever Apple get back to serious computing that is.

How does that old song go?

Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream...............
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Quote:

In what way is Apple turning into Sony?

Sony is infamous for having corporate divisions that don't talk to each other so that the music branch ends up suing the music hardware division and so on. Not to mention their insistence on obsolete and obfuscated standards (ATRAC and MediaStick to mention a couple). And never having produced a decent laptop (IMHO - previous Vaio owner x2).

On the other hand, Apple uses (and creates) new standards (MP3, USB and H.264 on this one), is a SHINING EXAMPLE of joined-up corporate thinking & service/content delivery.

So admit it - your only real gripe with Apple is that people are using their new toy for games.

And do you really think they WON'T release a shining new series of laptops once the buzz wears off from the iPad? This is yet another good example of joined-up corporate thinking: not releasing a mass of products at once so that they compete for attention with each other and instead keeping their purchasing base (us) perpetually interested in what their next product might be.

tl;dr - Apple != Sony
  • Reply 7 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks like there will be a healthy iPad App Store come April 3rd.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:

Who ever mentioned or stated that the iPad was going to be "a serious COMPUTING platform"?

No one... and it is FAR from it by design.

It's an "entertainment, consumption, and browsing device". YES you should be waiting for the MBP for your needs... computing I would presume.

BTW: the only so-called "productivity apps" are already available with iWork. Just waiting for some more "graphics oriented" programs, maybe from Adobe.... or iLife for iPad. Everything else will be available as "cloud-based web services and apps".
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Might it not be more accurate to say "games are 44% of the market for Flurry analytics"? Why do we assume this third party has any idea what the total ratios are of apps submitted to Apple? Why would someone submitting a book to the App Store be just as likely to integrate weird statistical background processes as someone submitting a game?
  • Reply 10 of 102
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Here's how iPhone apps've looked just one year ago

• Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

YES you should be waiting for the MBP for your needs... computing I would presume.

I'm pretty sure his mom gives him this then tells him it's a MBP.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

@ nearly half fall into the games category, while just 3 percent are books

I'm not surprised by that. I mean, how many book reading apps does someone need when Apple's own (yet unreleased) app will presumably be optimized for the hardware.

Thanks for pointing that out! - Otherwise, I don't care how many games there are. As long as the non-gaming apps are good and useful. I don't need e.g. 10 different word processor apps. Ones usually fine. E.g. pages.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My name is TECHSTUD and I am a moaner.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad

The iPad is for children. Enough said.

How about some new MacBook Pro's for us warrior types?
  • Reply 15 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    3% only for books? That's because that 3% are book "apps".
  • Reply 16 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Cant wait to start using my iPad for studying foreign language books, and operating systems.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Playing Dungeons & Dragons in your mom's basement doesn't make you a warrior.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    I am hoping that iPad will work with TomTom's car kit even if I buy only the WiFi version.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

What did ya expect - productivity with the newest funnest toy?

More like productivity apps really need testing on a real device before submitting to Apple for UI testing.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

What's wrong with the 'old' MBP, O Warrior Pro? (Forget the glossy screen nonsense).