The *Official* Next iPhone Thread

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    What are the chances the next phone will have a bigger screen?
  • Reply 22 of 54
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    What are the chances the next phone will have a bigger screen?



    As in resolution or physically bigger? or both?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Initially I was referring to screen size physically but I guess a bigger screen res would be good too.



    ...if it happened would all the existing apps be able to scale up?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Initially I was referring to screen size physically but I guess a bigger screen res would be good too.



    ...if it happened would all the existing apps be able to scale up?



    Well I guess apple will do something like they are doing with the iPad, run it with a big black border or pixel double. 768 x 512 resolution on a 3.7"?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Yeah that would be good.



    I have taken a decision to sell my 3GS and go for a HTC desire. For me Android 2.1 has caught up with iphone in terms UI. There are a few other reasons why i have switched too, upcoming update for div playback and 720p video. I will miss the app store and quality games but that's just something ill have to deal with.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    OLED.

    FASTER.

    Background processing for all music and radio apps.

    Narrower width. iPhone 3G and 3G S are both less conformable to hold than the 2G.



    That's all I want.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Wouldn't AMOLED be better?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    does any one have a comparison of the usefulness or lcd, amoled, etc as to readability AND BATTERY LIFE.

    that's the big question, battery life

    i'd even go a bit thicker to get better battery life
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Super AMOLED is the best, as seen in the Samsung Galaxy S revealed at CTIA:



    20% less battery usage, thinner, and best color display both indoor and outdoor.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    does any one have a comparison of the usefulness or lcd, amoled, etc as to readability AND BATTERY LIFE.

    that's the big question, battery life

    i'd even go a bit thicker to get better battery life



    It won't change battery life much. In direct sunlight all LCD displays are useless, so that's not an issue. The main benefit you'll see is closer to true blacks, which the iPhone does NOT handle "great". It doesn't do "BAD", but it's not great.



    Something you don't hear being talked about a huge amount is the fact that the iPhone 2G feels nicer in the hand, and it's not because of the material or the lack of a curved back, it's the actual width of the phone. The difference is 1.1mm, which doesn't sound like much - but you notice it.



    iPhone 4G (4th generation) needs to be narrower. Eliminating those minute side bezels completely (I'm referring to the black parts) would make the iPhone 4G 59 mm wide. A hugely welcomed change.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Wouldn't AMOLED be better?



    Super AMOLED is even better.



    Check out samsung's screen:



  • Reply 32 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    Super AMOLED is even better.



    Check out samsung's screen:







    I'd like to see that same shot straight on, which is how most people work with their phones. I know Super AMOLED has better off axis viewing angles, but off axis viewing angles aren't of primary concern on a personal device like a phone.



    And, of course, there are lot of other factors that influence the quality and usefulness of a given screen tech beyond black levels and off axis viewing.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I'd like to see that same shot straight on, which is how most people work with their phones. I know Super AMOLED has better off axis viewing angles, but off axis viewing angles aren't of primary concern on a personal device like a phone.



    And, of course, there are lot of other factors that influence the quality and usefulness of a given screen tech beyond black levels and off axis viewing.



    Are you seriously in denial of Super AMOLED's benefits, clinging on for dear life to some tiny shred of hope that the iPhone screen is somehow better in some other particular use case (which should be obvious -- it won't be), despite all given evidence for all other use cases?



    FFS, your fanboyism knows no bounds. Jesus F Christ.



    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/16/s...splay-by-goin/
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I'd like to see that same shot straight on, which is how most people work with their phones. I know Super AMOLED has better off axis viewing angles, but off axis viewing angles aren't of primary concern on a personal device like a phone.



    And, of course, there are lot of other factors that influence the quality and usefulness of a given screen tech beyond black levels and off axis viewing.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkb75gjVD0
  • Reply 35 of 54
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Wouldn't AMOLED be better?



    Why? What are you gaining and what are losing with AMOLED? Everyone talks about the deep blacks and the high contrast, but nobody ever talks about the disadvantages. Black text on white background will burn power just as much if not more than LCD TFT displays, and that's the majority of stuff on Apple's GUI and webpages. If Apple chooses the PenTile sub-pixel arrangement as seen in the Nexus One, I'll guarantee you Apple fans will be up in arms about it. Quality control with dead pixels doesn't appear to be about the same as LCDs either. Maybe another year.



    I'm all in with the IPS display tech Apple is marketing and pushing. A 960x640 4 inch IPS LCD screen would be awesome. 960x480 would be the best for backwards compatibility. I'm ok with the device being 0.1 wider. Screen would have to be edge to edge to maintain that small a width though. This is totally unrealistic though.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkb75gjVD0



    Yep, and this is what they look like when viewed in the manner most people would be looking at their phones:







    That is, pretty much indistinguishable, beyond slightly punchier colors for the AMOLED. So the big plus for AMOED is that it looks much better if I choose to look at my phone by holding it at an oblique angle, for some reason.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 846member
    PHONE itself needs improvement and BATTERY LIFE!!
  • Reply 38 of 54
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Yep, and this is what they look like when viewed in the manner most people would be looking at their phones:







    That is, pretty much indistinguishable, beyond slightly punchier colors for the AMOLED. So the big plus for AMOED is that it looks much better if I choose to look at my phone by holding it at an oblique angle, for some reason.



    Watch the video. The LCD is considerably more washed out and the black background is a hazy shade of gray. Straight-on looks as bad as it does on an angle for what you would expect black to look like.





    It is a joke to consider an LCD as comparable to AMOLED or even super AMOLED.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    Watch the video. The LCD is considerably more washed out and the black background is a hazy shade of gray. Straight-on looks as bad as it does on an angle for what you would expect black to look like.





    It is a joke to consider an LCD as comparable to AMOLED or even super AMOLED.



    Yep. The Samsung looks very vibrant! I just ordered a HTC Desire, I think that is AMOLED.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    battery life and text that's where its at

    reading a bunch of web pages, documents etc

    i want better battery life with that screen please
Sign In or Register to comment.