US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    My point is that had the US done nothing back then, then either Germany or Japan would have made the US their next target and taken over. I was not implying that the country would speak that language literally, but to an occupation. The US even helped rebuild their countries after the war was over. How many other countries would even bother doing that?



    You seem to brush off history and only cherry-pick the pieces that support your rant. Responding to the rest of your post would just be pointless.



    Ummm you need to research your history some more. The US WAS doing nothing. It was only when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour that America got off its fat lazy butt and did anything at all. Hell, Japan was almost ready to storm the American homeland had it not been for a fluke spotting.



    England,Russia, France as well as Australia and New Zealand were going all out fighting with whatever they had both on land and sea all over Europe, Africa, and Russia and America sat idly by until that one fateful event.



    Sorry America but you don't get the right to be high and mighty.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post


    Except its not inherently safer than a PC, Miller proves this every year. I'm not complaining since i use Snow Leopard as my main OS, but you wont see me going willy-nilly downloading torrents like its going out of style or visiting questionable sites.



    Macs are just as easily exploited as other PCs, we just see less of them due to market share distribution, this quote sums its up best, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town.? Charlie Miller



    No he doesn't. Every year he finds exploits in previous versions of Mac OS X which are usually fixed just after the conference not because he found the exploits but because others had months before. There's no evidence to support that Charlie Miller found all those faults himself he's just using known exploits.



    Market share has nothing to do with it otherwise corporate and internet servers will be sitting ducks because they are using the same underpinnings as Mac OS X... UNIX.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Ummm you need to research your history some more. The US WAS doing nothing. It was only when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour that America got off its fat lazy butt and did anything at all. Hell, Japan was almost ready to storm the American homeland had it not been for a fluke spotting.



    England,Russia, France as well as Australia and New Zealand were going all out fighting with whatever they had both on land and sea all over Europe, Africa, and Russia and America sat idly by until that one fateful event.



    Sorry America but you don't get the right to be high and mighty.



    YOU have no idea what you are talking about!



    If this wasn't from my iPhone I could manage a full description of why YOU ARE WRONG!



    Starting with Lend Lease!



    BTW my Father, an (Australian) pilot in WWII gave me all my knowledge of America's part in the war since 1937.



    Your 'knowledge' just comes from prejudice
  • Reply 84 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    So we got into WWII to get out of the Depression? We start wars to keep the economy going?



    Protracted wars drag down the economy--that's what happened when we were involved in Vier Nam through 3 presidencies.



    Now about military applications of the iPhone--has GPS doesn't it? Wouldn't know since i just jave a regular cell phone (still on topic).



    No. We didn't get into WWII for the economy, there were more practical reasons (I believe Pearl Harbor - a sneak attack sealed the deal). A consequence of entering the war was that it invigorated our economy. The other big domestic consequence was for women's suffrage and set the path toward universal equality for citizens. It took babes building bombs while hubby was away fighting to usher that change.



    Well if you're talking about the late 60's & 70's, Vietnam was a drop in the bucket compared to the 2nd biggest round of social welfare program enactments since FDR, that took bigger amounts of money to finance. Remember all those horrible government building that were built all over, that become slum tenements? The government 'cheese' programs? Those were the direct cause of the deficit numbers in 70's, and it's the continued expansion of these that has caused the economy to stay in the red.



    No matter how benevolent your policy, giving free things to people costs money. In the case of social welfare, the investment didn't pay off for any industry, and worse it didn't do anything to change the financial numbers for the groups it was aimed at helping. The investment in private industries supplying military and aerospace worked out rather well... we're both typing on a device that owes it's existence to that capital. In fact most of everything you enjoy is from that kind of government spending... for example most innovations in medicine.



    We (well a very small group of us) just passed giant another round of these social welfare initiatives. Want to make a $ bet and exchange emails, that in 10 years it will turn out pretty much the same?



    History, those who don't learn it are doomed to repeat it.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post


    The iPad is most definitely not Solider proofed!



    The iPhone for Consumers is different than the iPhone for the troops.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Ummm you need to research your history some more. The US WAS doing nothing. It was only when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour that America got off its fat lazy butt and did anything at all. Hell, Japan was almost ready to storm the American homeland had it not been for a fluke spotting.



    England,Russia, France as well as Australia and New Zealand were going all out fighting with whatever they had both on land and sea all over Europe, Africa, and Russia and America sat idly by until that one fateful event.



    Sorry America but you don't get the right to be high and mighty.



    America didn't enter the war until both Japan and Hitler were maneuvered into a position they knew would provoke the US and when that happened us Americans saw then entire massive manufacturing base dedicate itself to the War on two fronts. We turned out weapons 24/7.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post


    YOU have no idea what you are talking about!



    If this wasn't from my iPhone I could manage a full description of why YOU ARE WRONG!



    Starting with Lend Lease!



    BTW my Father, an (Australian) pilot in WWII gave me all my knowledge of America's part in the war since 1937.



    Your 'knowledge' just comes from prejudice



    I'm not anti-America I'm anti-arrogance and America comes across as being the most arrogant nation on the planet.



    America was not officially involved in any part of the war until after Pearl Harbour. By that time the war had been going on for quite some time.



    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_W...did_WWII_start - WWII started 1937 or 1939



    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_t...er_World_War_2 - America enters the war officially in 1941 some 5-7 years later.



    There were American soldiers and pilots but NONE of them were there with any official backing. I do know about WWII with both my grandparents (my dad's dad was a Pom serving in the Pacific and my mum's dad is New Zealander serving in Canada). My dad's dad became a POW but my mum's dad never really served in the fighting because he became a pilot but by the time he finished his training he was deemed too old to fight so they got him training other pilots.



    By the time America had actually gotten involved England's armaments were becoming scarce but they were still digging in.



    America may have cleaned up but they by no rights can claim they are the ones who won the war. If it had not been for the H-Bombs or Hitler making stupid mistakes then America could have conceivably been in a similar position to everyone else by being involved in a long drawn out war.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Ummm you need to research your history some more. The US WAS doing nothing. It was only when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour that America got off its fat lazy butt and did anything at all. Hell, Japan was almost ready to storm the American homeland had it not been for a fluke spotting.



    England,Russia, France as well as Australia and New Zealand were going all out fighting with whatever they had both on land and sea all over Europe, Africa, and Russia and America sat idly by until that one fateful event.



    Sorry America but you don't get the right to be high and mighty.



    Not to get off the topic, but the US was in the Depression and there was the sentiment in the country that the US should not get involved in another European conflict (remember WWI?). The US was in a period of isolationism. FDR did send equipment to GB as a Lend Lease policy--which was against the Neutrality Acts of the 1930's. FDR wanted to aid GB against Germany, but he lacked the capacity to get involved into the conflict. When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor his task was made easy--he declared war on Japan and its allies--a power not given to the President in the Constitution.



    Japan did not want to invade the US, it realized that that would be futile. Admiral Yamamoto, educated in the US knew that Japan could not win a protracted war with the US. Japan wanted to cripple the US Pacific fleet, grab as much territory as possible and then sue for peace. Shortly before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Japan was to deliver an ultimatum to the US, that would lead to a declaration of War on the US, but the translation of the Japanese coded message took too long, the bombs were away when Secretary of State Hull got the ultimatum. This made any attempt for Japan to sue for peace impossible since their act was a surprise attack.



    Back to the topic, Is Apple going to design software for the military?
  • Reply 89 of 129
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Ummm they said Apples are more secure and just works.



    If it was to be an April fools joke they would have said Windows PCs are more secure and just works.



    And how do I turn my Apple TV off- if it just works? I can't shut it off, it has no on/off switch - it won't stop working!!! I think its burning a hole in the ozone layer.
  • Reply 90 of 129
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    The iPhone for Consumers is different than the iPhone for the troops.



    You mean no dropped calls?
  • Reply 91 of 129
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful,

    Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful.

    Sun Tzu, The Art of War



    If the US Military can utilize Apple products in the field in order to save lives then I am all for it.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    And how do I turn it off-...? I can't shut it off, it has no on/off switch - it won't stop ...!!! I think its burning a hole in the ozone layer.



    Sounds like you're parroting many posters' comments about you.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post


    No. We didn't get into WWII for the economy, there were more practical reasons (I believe Pearl Harbor - a sneak attack sealed the deal). A consequence of entering the war was that it invigorated our economy. The other big domestic consequence was for women's suffrage and set the path toward universal equality for citizens. It took babes building bombs while hubby was away fighting to usher that change.



    Well if you're talking about the late 60's & 70's, Vietnam was a drop in the bucket compared to the 2nd biggest round of social welfare program enactments since FDR, that took bigger amounts of money to finance. Remember all those horrible government building that were built all over, that become slum tenements? The government 'cheese' programs? Those were the direct cause of the deficit numbers in 70's, and it's the continued expansion of these that has caused the economy to stay in the red.



    No matter how benevolent your policy, giving free things to people costs money. In the case of social welfare, the investment didn't pay off for any industry, and worse it didn't do anything to change the financial numbers for the groups it was aimed at helping. The investment in private industries supplying military and aerospace worked out rather well... we're both typing on a device that owes it's existence to that capital. In fact most of everything you enjoy is from that kind of government spending... for example most innovations in medicine.



    We (well a very small group of us) just passed giant another round of these social welfare initiatives. Want to make a $ bet and exchange emails, that in 10 years it will turn out pretty much the same?



    History, those who don't learn it are doomed to repeat it.



    You seem to take things too seriously--I was only attacking your premises that getting into war helps our economy. It is beyond the scope of this forum to talk about the amount the government spends--unless it is for Macs.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    By the time America had actually gotten involved England's armaments were becoming scarce but they were still digging in.



    America may have cleaned up but they by no rights can claim they are the ones who won the war. If it had not been for the H-Bombs or Hitler making stupid mistakes then America could have conceivably been in a similar position to everyone else by being involved in a long drawn out war.



    I agree with part of what you are saying. It took all of the Allies working together to defeat the Axis Powers and none working alone could have done it by themselves. But do not think that the US was doing nothing before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor--LEND LEASE--ARMS FOR CHINA--FLYING TIGERS. And that is A-for Atomic (fission bomb) Bomb. H-for Hydrogen (fusion) came after WWII. But I fail to see what all of this has to do with the topic we are suppose to be on.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post


    You mean like in the 80s? Maybe someone should have just minded their own fucking business, period.



    Yeah, bedouin, and you know what that was worth.



    But, be serious here: What would you recommend regarding these folks?
  • Reply 96 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post


    Why am I working?



    You work? Seriously?
  • Reply 97 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,545member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    "Did he screw up?"... When has he not?!



    Sorry you think so. I am happy I'll be able get insurance soon with a pre existing condition. After paying my insurance bills every month my entire adult life, Mutual of Omaha dropped me after an major operation in 2000. IMHO reigning in these insurance companies is the way for the USA to join the civilized and advanced countries in the world. Of course those that disagree probably haven't yet experienced what I have.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Sorry you think so. I am happy I'll be able get insurance soon with a pre existing condition.



    I'm right there with you. My pre-existing condition won't even let me pay for insurance based on the previous laws despite my ability and desire to pay for insurance.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,545member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'm right there with you. My pre-existing condition won't even let me pay for insurance based on the previous laws despite my ability and desire to pay for insurance.



    Sorry to hear that, well hopefully we can both soon be back in the system. I was allowed by another company

    to pay $550 a month but they excluded half my body lol!
  • Reply 100 of 129
    (g) iJoe
Sign In or Register to comment.