iPad to be sold at 221 Apple stores, 'most' Best Buy locations

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced that the iPad will go on sale this Saturday, April 3, at all of its 221 U.S. Apple retail locations, as well as "most" Best Buy stores.

"iPad connects users with their apps and content in a far more intimate and fun way than ever before," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a press release. "We can't wait for users to get their hands and fingers on it this weekend."

Apple will offer free personal setup service to all customers who purchase an iPad in-store. The service will help users to customize their iPad by setting up e-mail, loading software from the App Store and more.

All U.S. retail Apple stores will also hold special iPad workshops Saturday morning. The sessions will allow customers to learn more about the capabilities of the product.

In addition to Apple retail stores and Best Buy locations, Apple said the iPad will be sold through Apple authorized resellers and campus bookstores.

Best Buy's iPad launch day plans were revealed over the weekend. About 675 Best Buy locations with designated Apple departments will begin selling the device April 3. The retail chain has also reportedly planned a promotion for the device on April 11. AppleInsider first learned of Apple's plans with Best Buy through an e-mail response sent by CEO Steve Jobs to an inquiring user.

Apple has touted that the iPad, starting at $499, is just 0.5 inches thick and weighs 1.5 pounds, a form factor thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. The device and its 9.7-inch display are said to deliver up to 10 hours of battery life.

The iPad also features Apple's patented multi-touch user interface already employed on the iPhone and iPod touch. The iPad can be used to browse the Web, read and send e-mail, view photos, watch video, listen to music, play games, read e-books and more.

The April 3 launch will be for the Wi-Fi-only version of the iPad, which costs $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. The 3G-capable versions will be available in late April and carry a $130 premium.

On Monday, customers who were among the first to preorder the Wi-Fi iPad began receiving shipment notifications for the device. They are due to be delivered in the U.S. on Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Looking forward to having it in Canada !
  • Reply 2 of 22
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    This Saturday all 221 of the Apple Stores will be crowded. Looks like Apple expect that the iPad will sell since 2010 8-10M are expected to be produced, and this before it is in the store.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    I can't wait to get my iPad because "it all just works!"
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Wait, the iPad will also be available at campus bookstores (authorized Mac retailers, of course) at launch, too? That's new, isn't it?

I was planning on holding out until the dust settled, but as I'm near both what I assume to be a qualifying Best Buy and my campus bookstore, I may not be able to help myself.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    They needed to write an article to tell people the APPLE iPad will be sold at APPLE stores? Really? Apple stores will have special workshops on how to use a giant iPod Touch, a product they have already sold to millions of people? How stupid do they think people are?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

They needed to write an article to tell people the APPLE iPad will be sold at APPLE stores? Really? Apple stores will have special workshops on how to use a giant iPod Touch, a product they have already sold to millions of people? How stupid do they think people are?

People not stupid, people just need to make sure they know all the feature.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Watch the share price rise on this news, expect Wall Street to revise their expected sales figures, by a lot.

Yes, they needed to write an article like this.

Quote:

• Reply 8 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i wonder if the iPad will run hot enough to cook an iEgg on the back of it.

looking forward to this. it's not in the budget yet, but maybe end of April...i'll see how the smoke clears after the initial frenzy. and maybe there might be some in the refurb store... best deals are there.

I thought i heard that BB will only have 15 units per store. That seems a little low.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On Monday, customers who were among the first to preorder the Wi-Fi iPad began receiving shipment notifications for the device. They are due to be delivered in the U.S. on Saturday.

I got my notification but it's being shipped by UPS, I didn't think they delivered on Saturdays.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I got my notification but it's being shipped by UPS, I didn't think they delivered on Saturdays.

If Apple pays extra, they will. Which makes you wonder why they didn't release it on Friday.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Still no definitive release date for the WiFi+3G
  • Reply 12 of 22
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Whew! I'm glad I ordered mine the very first day I could.

I guess haters will say it's artificially in short supply. I doubt that.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Best Buy's iPad launch day plans were revealed over the weekend. About 675 Best Buy locations with designated Apple departments will begin selling the device April 3. The retail chain has also reportedly planned a promotion for the device on April 11.

Will they still have any stock on April 11?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh of course ... just like the supply, this demand is artifically created too.

The rumour I'm hearing is that the iPad won't even make it to generation two, because the first gen ones will be a bust becuase people in their right mind would never buy a first generation product.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I'll probably wait a few days to go in and play with one.

I could see myself with one of these with a GPS chip so may wait?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Best Buy's iPad launch day plans were revealed over the weekend. About 675 Best Buy locations with designated Apple departments will begin selling the device April 3. The retail chain has also reportedly planned a promotion for the device on April 11. AppleInsider first learned of Apple's plans with Best Buy through an e-mail response sent by CEO Steve Jobs to an inquiring user.

Best Buy will get 15/store so 675 x 15 = 10,125
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

No and AAPL stock will be through the roof!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

Wait, the iPad will also be available at campus bookstores (authorized Mac retailers, of course) at launch, too?

nope. not at launch. Launch is Apple and select Best Buys only.

Quote:

Apple stores will have special workshops on how to use a giant iPod Touch, a product they have already sold to millions of people?

You assume that those buying the ipad have all had an iphone or ipod touch before. A bad assumption

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

they do in some areas. if yours is not one of them you will get it on Monday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

makes you wonder why they didn't release it on Friday.

Friday means taking off work, letting the kids play hooky and the risks that come with UPS leaving a $500/+ package on your door step to be stolen. Saturday eliminates all that. At least for most.

Quote:

according to leaks they are getting 5 of each for this weekend and 5 of each for next weekend. which will sell out in about 10 minutes and they will talk that the ipad was a huge success and sold out right away blah blah and those that don't read the blogs will think they sold out of dozens and dozens.

this promo is probably not even a discount thing but some free accessory and/or itunes card gig. You could probably take the flyer to your local apple store and politely ask for a match from the manager and get it, depending on what exactly is at play.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i wonder if the iPad will run hot enough to cook an iEgg on the back of it.

Not likely. There are devices with much more powerful processors and no fan, and they don't get extremely hot.

Apple likely has been able to control heat, even if at the expense of processing power.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Glad to see the iPad will be sold at Best Buy. I agree with the following article that Apple needs to partner with various outlets to sell their devices if they are going to be successful:

http://www.alltabletnews.com/2010/03...-diversifying/