Apple granted ownership of iPhone steel bezel design

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Did they seriously give a patent out for just bending (pretty much what cold-working is) steel for a electronic device?!

The patent system is getting ridiculous...

No, they didn't give out a patent for bending steel. They gave out a patent for a very well defined use, which is paramount to winning a strong patent.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

There is your answer: iPhone is not built for clutzes. Most clutzes use Windoze anyway.

Not to pick nits, but it's spelled "klutz".
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That has nothing to do with this design patent, no kind of patent has been granted for that tool that I'm aware of. So then, what is your point? It seems like you're trying to force a thread off topic.

Wasn't trying to force it off topic at all I was simply responding to this quote.

"The bezel can be removed by disengaging the spring, which can be done with a special tool or magnetic field."

If more then one point is raised in either the thread or the article then I don't see it as going off topic when we address that issue within the thread.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Because of the evidence.

Now you're making nuisance posts.

Stop it.

Really what evidence?

Also if this comment was made in the thread by Quadra then how am I the only one getting jumped on for "going off topic" Where in this article does it talk about scratch resistant screen?

"Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find."

As a moderator you can't be selective either you keep everyone on topic 100% or you don't.

So you want to ban me go ahead its what you do to everyone else that isn't in love with Apple 100% of the time.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Wasn't trying to force it off topic at all I was simply responding to this quote.

"The bezel can be removed by disengaging the spring, which can be done with a special tool or magnetic field."

If more then one point is raised in either the thread or the article then I don't see it as going off topic when we address that issue within the thread.

Sorry, I didn't notice.

The "tool" you linked is for the SIM carrier, not the bezel, I didn't see anything in the patent that had to do with the SIM carrier. That much should have been clear in the illustration on the Gizmodo article that you linked. I got a stamped version of the sim carrier eject tool in my 3G's box, I think it's just like the one that Quadra610 posted.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You linked to the wrong tool. It's not a paperclip or the SIM card remover that usually comes with your iPhone.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sorry, I didn't notice.

The "tool" you linked is for the SIM carrier, not the bezel, I didn't see anything in the patent that had to do with the SIM carrier. That much should have been clear in the illustration on the Gizmodo article that you linked. I got a stamped version of the sim carrier eject tool in my 3G's box, I think it's just like the one that Quadra610 posted.

I understand it was for a the sim card. I thought it was bring a bit of humor to the thread to show that Apple had actually sent out paper clips at offical tools. I wasn't trying to annoy anyone, people sometimes just take everything so serious.

I only raised the point because the topic about special tools came up. I had the same thing happen to me on another device I bought several years back. I paid 1500.00 for the device and in the instructions it said it needed a special tool. When I contacted the manufacture they charged me 5.00 in shipping and sent me a paper clip.

So I honestly wasn't trying to drive the thread off topic, if I did so then I apologize.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is the little tool that came with my iPhone 3G back in August 2008.

I guess a paper clip would be alright, too . . .

But this kicks Clippy's ass.

Hey! Respect the dead.

Have you not seen Office 2010: The Movie..?
  • Reply 69 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Really what evidence?

Quote:

Because Steve Jobs told you so?

This is a nuisance post. It adds nothing to the argument, and is there just for the purpose of being annoying.

Stop it, and don't argue. I haven't banned anyone yet, but that could change.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is the little tool that came with my iPhone 3G back in August 2008.

I guess a paper clip would be alright, too . . .

But this kicks Clippy's ass.

+1

Slow and painful death to Clippy now!