Apple rumored to launch iPad internationally on April 24

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New evidence of a potential April 24 launch of the iPad in Canada has led to speculation that the Saturday could serve as Apple's "late April" international launch date for the new hardware.

Employees of Apple's retail stores in Canada were reportedly told that the weekend of April 24 is a "blackout period" for staff, meaning no employees are allowed to book the days off, according to iPadinCanada.ca. That date would fit with the timeline revealed by Apple earlier this month, which said Canada, along with the U.K., France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Spain and Switzerland, would receive the hardware in late April.

Those in the U.S. who preordered their Wi-Fi iPad before last weekend should receive the new device on its launch date Saturday, while those who waited will have to wait until April 12. The 3G-capable model is scheduled to ship both in the U.S. and around the world in late April.

Though Apple revealed the iPad would sell starting at $499 in the U.S. when the product was unveiled in late January, it has not yet announced pricing for overseas markets. Similarly, though Apple also revealed the no-contract data plans available through AT&T in the U.S., international plans have not yet been revealed.

"We'll be back this summer with some even better deals for our customers internationally," Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said at the company's iPad keynote in January.

Apple began accepting preorders in the U.S. for the iPad on March 12. In addition to limiting customer preorders to two per person, Apple also turned down volume orders for businesses, suggesting the hardware maker faces a tight supply on launch day. In addition to late preorders having to wait until April 12, those who hesitated to reserve a keyboard dock or power adapter will also have to wait until May.

Weeks ago, people familiar with Apple's running sales totals said that hundreds of thousands of iPads had been purchased only weeks after the presales began. For comparison, Apple sold roughly 1.2 million iPhones in the three months following its June 2007 launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I hope so - if not sooner. It seems this is faster than the usual international release.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple needs to let us into the loop regarding iBooks internationally. I'm holding out on considering an iPad until iBooks is released internationally.

Don't bore with with replies about how it's not Apple's fault. These defensive-fanboy replies are getting "very" old. My comment is an opinion, it's my opinion. It's how I feel about the iBooks situation.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple needs to let us into the loop regarding iBooks internationally. I'm holding out on considering an iPad until iBooks is released internationally.

Don't bore with with replies about how it's not Apple's fault. These defensive-fanboy replies are getting "very" old. My comment is an opinion, it's my opinion. It's how I feel about the iBooks situation.

Won't you have the option of Kindle books as well as the 30k free books?

For me though, the real use is internet/email (tethered to an iPhone with MyWi), so even if the ibookstore wasn't available it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    24th would be good enough for me.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Even if the British iBookstore isn't opened right away, you can bet your ass Stanza will have an iPad optimized app with full access to Gutenberg and other non-Apple paid eBook sources.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Even if the British iBookstore isn't opened right away, you can bet your ass Stanza will have an iPad optimized app with full access to Gutenberg and other non-Apple paid eBook sources.

Yes, but if it's not iBooks, it's not iBooks. Like iTunes - I like to stick to using just iTunes. That's just the way I want it with iBooks. It'll be out eventually, internationally, I hope, but I'll be waiting.

Kindle, Stanza, bla bla bla… Not iBooks.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Going to be interested in seeing the pricing plans that Rogers offers. Don't imagine it will be approachable by any means. Expect to look at the WiFi model but, with Canadian dollar near par be very interested in the US vs CDN prices...Might be worth a trip to Buffalo...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Even if they announced iBooks availability today, you still wouldn't be able to buy or pre-order an iPad yet so this lack of information isn't actually preventing you from buying an iPad. I believe they have already stated that they are working on bringing iBooks to other countries. What more can they say until they actually have the deals in place? I'm sure they are aiming for availability at launch, we'll just have to wait and see. I really want iBooks in Canada, so hopefully it doesn't take too long.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So the original iPhone sold 1.2 million in 3 months. Anyone think the iPad will sell less than that in 3 months? I think it's safe to say that the number of countries getting it in that time frame make it pretty unlikely. How about the sales of the other 2 iPhone releases after 3 months; will the iPad outsell them?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So the original iPhone sold 1.2 million in 3 months. Anyone think the iPad will sell less than that in 3 months? I think it's safe to say that the number of countries getting it in that time frame make it pretty unlikely.

How many countries had the iPhone within the first month?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Going to be interested in seeing the pricing plans that Rogers offers. Don't imagine it will be approachable by any means. Expect to look at the WiFi model but, with Canadian dollar near par be very interested in the US vs CDN prices...Might be worth a trip to Buffalo...

I'm having this argument, err, "discussion" on another forum. I've conceded that there is a (slim) possibility that Rogers and Bell might offer decent pricing, similar to AT&Ts ... let's say they're generous and offer CDN$15.99/mo/250MB and CDN$35/mo/5GB pricing. That's fine.

But here's the catch ... and it will make all of us Canucks furious ...

These will be three year contract plan prices.

The likelihood that either Rogers or Bell will offer a no-contract data plan is as ridiculous as the idea that the Leafs will ever win the Stanley Cup again in my lifetime (I am old enough to remember the last one). I have to chuckle when anyone metions they think that will happen. There is no way they will offer no-contract, sign up and cancel on a whim, month-to-month via the device here in Canada. No way whatsoever.

The CRTC is nothing but a lapdog for Rogers and Bell and will do nothing to make them move towards something resembling modern data plans and forward-thinking ideas about how people want to use the Internet. Hell, the CRTC hasn't rewritten the regulations for the Net since 1996, and based those rules on 1960s telephone regulations and technology.

That's why there isn't yet a hint of pricing on their sites. They know how furious iPad fans up here in Canada are going to be when they announce them. And Apple doesn't want that negative publicity before the big US launch.

I would love to be proven wrong but I am too familiar with both companies management and their greed to believe that's ever going to happen. Ever. Sigh.

P.S. And the bone they threw out recently about tethering to your iPhone was just that. A bone. A distraction from what's coming.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:

24th would be good enough for me.

Hong Kong doesn't seem to be among the places where iPad will allegedly be available that day. Those of us living in the, Applely speaking, third world will likely get one around June or maybe later.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How many countries had the iPhone within the first month?

Which one? The first iPhone was in 1 country for the first 3 month period, I think at least 4 and maybe more than 6 for the 2nd iPhone, and a a crap load by the 3rd iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Even if they announced iBooks availability today, you still wouldn't be able to buy or pre-order an iPad yet so this lack of information isn't actually preventing you from buying an iPad.

So it won't prevent me now, but it will in 30 days, big whoop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I believe they have already stated that they are working on bringing iBooks to other countries.

Show me proof of this. Sounds like you just made something up out of thin air to me.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Hong Kong doesn't seem to be among the places where iPad will allegedly be available that day. Those of us living in the, Applely speaking, third world will likely get one around June or maybe later.

Wow. Norway, Hongkong?
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

I share your grief. But since there's nothing we can really do to change the world now, I just wondered whether you know how to get access to the US iTunes Store without the credit card? You do know, right?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

So it won't prevent me now, but it will in 30 days, big whoop.

I just don't agree with pre-emptive complaints. What if Apple does announce their international plans before then?

Quote:

Show me proof of this. Sounds like you just made something up out of thin air to me.

Well it is only a logical conclusion, and I know I've heard tidbits of information from here and there. A quick google search brings up this job posting.

Edit: I do understand the frustration with not knowing when iBooks will be coming though.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Exciting. I can't wait. The nice part is that I can buy it now and now be committed to a lousy contract. I can actually wait and see but still use it.

On another note, I am sick of the iPhone comparisons. A phone is a necessity for most people and the numbers will obviously be higher. The iPad is something that will take some time for people to understand where it fits into their lives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Weeks ago, people familiar with Apple's running sales totals said that hundreds of thousands of iPads had been purchased only weeks after the presales began. For comparison, Apple sold roughly 1.2 million iPhones in the three months following its June 2007 launch.

• Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

On another note, I am sick of the iPhone comparisons. A phone is a necessity for most people and the numbers will obviously be higher. The iPad is something that will take some time for people to understand where it fits into their lives.

I agree, but they are also comparing it to sales of the original iPhone, not the current ones. The 3GS launch sales were much higher than anything anyone expects the iPad sales to be.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

I'm having this argument, err, "discussion" on another forum. I've conceded that there is a (slim) possibility that Rogers and Bell might offer decent pricing, similar to AT&Ts ... let's say they're generous and offer CDN$15.99/mo/250MB and CDN$35/mo/5GB pricing. That's fine.

But here's the catch ... and it will make all of us Canucks furious ...

These will be three year contract plan prices.

The best way to deal with Rogers is be prepared to moved to a competitor. When the iPhone came out, I was pissed at the data plan and called Rogers to cancel all my services. (I've been with them since 95)

To get me to stay they offered me a savings of slightly over $75/mth. When the one year was up, I called twice and the second time got the same savings.

I'll get the 3G plan as long as it has no-contract. If it's 2 years like their USB sticks, then I'll pass.

I only want the 3G for summer.