Apps for Apple iPad command 22% of new project starts

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In the two months since the iPad was announced, the still-unreleased platform has generated more interest from developers than the Android and BlackBerry platforms combined, according to a new study.

Over the last 60 days, new project starts tracked by mobile analytics firm Flurry show that the iPad has carved out a 22 percent share, well ahead of Android, which has 10 percent, and behind only the iPhone at 67 percent.

"As April 3 draws near, developers continue to develop for the iPad at a fever pitch," the company said.

Flurry has counted about 2,000 iPad applications already listed in the App Store, before the device has even been released. Consumers will get their hands on Apple's latest hardware this Saturday.

On average in 2009, Android accounted for 18 percent of software development, while the iPhone commanded 78 percent. Similarly, though BlackBerry took 4 percent of application development in 2009, it has represented just 1 percent in the last 60 days.

In March alone, of over 3,000 unique applications created within the Flurry network, Android's share of new project starts decreased to just 8 percent.

"However, it should not be concluded that Android developer support is on the decline," the analytics firm said. "In fact, the opposite is true, as we count approximately 300 new Android projects in March, which represents a 50% increase over February.

"Android's percent has declined because iPhone and iPad growth is increasing at a rate faster than that of Android. In short, more developers are building more apps. The total pie is growing significantly, month over month."

Last month, Flurry revealed that startup developers represent one in five on their network. With more than 150,000 applications available on the App Store, and most of them compatible with the forthcoming iPad, the firm found that the digital download destination is a place where independent software creators have a fair shot at success.

In February, Flurry reported that App Store developer interest had nearly tripled following the unveiling of the iPad. The trend has continued in the latest report, with a "significant increase" in new application starts maintained through the month of February.

Apple has pitched the launch of the iPad as a "whole new gold rush" for developers, as the device and its 9.7-inch screen will run existing App Store software as well as new applications designed specifically for the hardware and its larger touchscreen. First released in January, the iPhone 3.2 beta software development kit allows developers to create iPad-specific software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Smart developers will continue to flock to the platform that is easiest to develop on and where there is an audience with an unquenchable thirst for inventive apps. Apple continues to grow opportunities to make a lot of money for individuals and companies at an explosive rate.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Can someone get Kasper's attention and ask him to explain why, with a forum specific to the iPad, he insists on posting every single iPad story on "Current Hardware"?

There are iPad threads all over Temporary Insanity, Current Hardware, Future Hardware and General Discussion. They all belong in one forum. The iPad forum.

Can a Moderator fix this, please?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Isn't the iPad current hardware? Chill!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

Isn't the iPad current hardware? Chill!

Not for another 33 minutes...

Oh, that's my birthday...

One day and 28 minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    That's great. Seems like its a great market to be in right now. Gotta love American Capitalism.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the two months since the iPad was announced, the still-unreleased platform has generated more interest from developers than the Android and BlackBerry platforms combined......

Apple is (surely) doomed!?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is (surely) doomed!™

I for one thought the 'future' Apple was pioneering for us was a line up of 10", 13", 15", and possibly 17" MBA's all with SSHD's and no super drives.

Prior to the iPad all I read was how laptops were outselling desktops!

Thanks Apple. With the advent of the iPad I will be getting a iPad 3g and not the MBA. With the savings I will invest in a 27" iMac (replacing my original intel 20" iMac) and along with my iPhone 3Gs will be good to go!

Ps. I may even forgo my iPhone and the hefty monthly fees and just get a 'dumb' phone. Although I do like the MobileMe syncing and the visual voicemail and email access. That may be worth hanging onto the iPhone. Even though I'm using the apps, iPod, podcasts, less and less these days!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ikangaiikangai Posts: 1member
    A humorous post of the Austrian newspaper derstandard.at explains what the iPad is all about: http://derstandard.at/1269448624253/...p=2#forumstart

The english translation can be found here: http://www.ikangai.com/blog/uncatego...-mating-season
  • Reply 10 of 17
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

With the advent of the iPad I will be getting a iPad 3g and not the MBA. With the savings I will invest in a 27" iMac (replacing my original intel 20" iMac) and along with my iPhone 3Gs will be good to go!

Similar boat; my MBP 17" needs to be replaced, and it is time for the original 2G iPhone to be replaced soon as well. Without a carrier-unlocked iPhone available on contract, not sure if I would keep it. Size does matter though, and the ipad's size may be a challenge when I am travelling around town.

Will be interesting how much "cannibalization" there in respect to other Apple products.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

Not for another 33 minutes...

Oh, that's my birthday...

One day and 28 minutes.

Happy Birthday
  • Reply 12 of 17
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    What amazes me is all the positiveness surrounding the iPad already. Twenty-two percent is pretty substantial in my opinion. This product hasn't even shipped yet. It's been derided as being just a large iPod touch. It's been written off that it's a third device, that nobody will need it, that it's too restirctive, that it's a first generation device, etc., etc.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

What amazes me is all the positiveness surrounding the iPad already. Twenty-two percent is pretty substantial in my opinion. This product hasn't even shipped yet. It's been derided as being just a large iPod touch. It's been written off that it's a third device, that nobody will need it, that it's too restirctive, that it's a first generation device, etc., etc.

Yet with all these preemptive negativity leading up to the launch of the iPad, its doing nothing to stop developers from flocking to the new platform. Seems the old american mentality of slandering your competitors name is not a viable strategy against Apple's new product.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    There are now around 2,500 iPad Apps.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There are now around 2,500 iPad Apps.

That's is ground breaking, the product is not even on the market yet
  • Reply 16 of 17
    applerulezapplerulez Posts: 108member
    What the heck are the other 78% working on? The iPad is the only platform that matters!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Interesting contrast with the Appcelerator poll, which claimed that developer interest in Android was now neck and neck with iPhone. Somebody is fudging the numbers somewhere, although I don't know which party it is. Probably both. The real answer is likely somewhere in the middle.