Growth in netbook sales slows in anticipation of Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't know why you dismiss the iPad if that's your usage pattern.

Try one and see.

I haven't. I probably will. But I expect an iPad will be more expensive and less versatile than a netbook.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

But I expect an iPad will be more expensive and less versatile than a netbook.

True, but you can say that about a Swiss Army Knife, too, and I can assure most people would pick a proper saw, magnifying glass, corkscrew, scissors, etc. for a job over the versatile tool that technically has those features.
    After reading the reviews and seeing the videos there is very few useful things that any current netbook can do over an iPad. Can you technically install Dreamweaver on a netbook? Sure, but who would want to?
  • Reply 63 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

No. It's Apple is doomed!

Just ask Ireland...

Cough, cough.....

(Actually, in all fairness, even before mine, it may have been NasserAE's.....).
  • Reply 64 of 98
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True, but you can say that about a Swiss Army Knife, too, and I can assure most people would pick a proper saw, magnifying glass, corkscrew, scissors, etc. for a job over the versatile tool that technically has those features.
    After reading the reviews and seeing the videos there is very few useful things that any current netbook can do over an iPad. Can you technically install Dreamweaver on a netbook? Sure, but who would want to?

That's weird...... I came across that image for the first time yesterday, while looking at various Swiss Army knives. Was there maybe a tech site post that linked to that?
  • Reply 65 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't understand all the hatred on here for netbooks. Is it just because they are different?.......

That being said, pick the right tool for your needs and stop bashig everything that doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

I think you're overreacting. I don't see much 'hatred' here, just some slightly exaggerated jousting and slightly tongue-in-cheek trash-talk.

I personally have nothing against netbooks. If people get value from them, that's just wonderful. Each to his own.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Quote:

After reading the reviews and seeing the videos there is very few useful things that any current netbook can do over an iPad.

It's a pretty short list. The question in my mind is, if I went out and spent $500 for an iPad (more likely $400 for a used one) would I prefer it over a netbook which has a screen on a hinge and a real keyboard? I won't know until I try one but I have a pretty good idea.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:

It's a pretty short list. The question in my mind is, if I went out and spent $500 for an iPad (more likely $400 for a used one) would I prefer it over a netbook which has a screen on a hinge and a real keyboard? I won't know until I try one but I have a pretty good idea.

It's interesting that a lot of the early reviews (or reports from the brief hands on at the introduction, for that matter) seem to agree with some kind of "hands on" phenomena, in which the full appeal of the thing becomes immediately evident once you pick one up.

Have no idea if that will apply to me (until tomorrow ), but it really has been an oft repeated theme.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's weird...... I came across that image for the first time yesterday, while looking at various Swiss Army knives. Was there maybe a tech site post that linked to that?

I've used that on here for at least a couples years when I saw it on Gizmodo. It was also used by another poster here earlier this week, though I can't recall who.

You'll probably start seeing it all over the place now, like when you by a new car and start seeing them all over the road. I know there is a word for that psychological phenomenon but I'll be darned if I can't think of it.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Quote:

I've used that on here for at least a couples years when I saw it on Gizmodo. It was also used by another poster here earlier this week, though I can't recall who.

You'll probably start seeing it all over the place now, like when you by a new car and start seeing them all over the road. I know there is a word for that psychological phenomenon but I'll be darned if I can't think of it.

Do they actually make that thing or is it just a one off for fun?
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:

Unless you go with a netbook that is more money than the iPad you're getting a cheap TN panel instead of IPS panel, with lower resolution, less pixel density, weak backlit that isn't LED which make it cheaper but also use more power.

It has a physical keyboard but it's cramped and of poor quality. I can type much faster and more accurate on an iPhone keyboard than either netbook I've own. The trackpad is even worse.

Then there is the processing. In clock speed the Atom in netbooks is faster than any ARM, but it's using a desktop OS that is designed for much larger display and faster HW so the performance you'll experience will result in being worse than anything on the iPad. Then there are the apps being created for the iPad to be ideal for the platform in every way. There are no such netbook apps so every app is designed for a much larger and faster system.

I've even installed [Mac} OSx86 on one that I owned. It was better, but not by much over my WinXP version, and I don't even recall what crappy version of Linux I used on another.

Finally, you have 10+ hours of video battery life on the iPad yet nothing even close to that on a netbook. Buy what you want, but I suggest saving the netbook receipt and box if you go that route.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:

Do they actually make that thing or is it just a one off for fun?

It's real.
    • Contains an incredible 85 tools built into a single knife

• Guinness World Record holder for "the most multifunctional penknife"

• Manufactured by Wenger (Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife)

• Special edition knife, perfect for collectors

• Comes packaged in Wenger box [view]

• Weight: 2 lbs, 11 ounces

• Dimensions: 8.75" wide

• Lifetime warranty

Almost twice the weight of the iPad. I'm not sure that can still be defined a penknife.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:

Buy what you want, but I suggest saving the netbook receipt and box if you go that route.

Perhaps you missed my earlier posts. I already have a netbook which I'm happy with. I'm very interested in the iPad, otherwise I wouldn't be reading this thread. But since I have an iPod touch which I hardly use, having never found any apps which were compelling enough to convince me otherwise, I have doubts I would use the iPad more than my netbook.

I think it's sad Apple won't make a smaller version of the MacBook, even if they had to charge $1000 for it. That's what I really want.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I agree with you but I just don't understand these manufacturers. Why do these instruments have to be so crappy? Nobody's forcing them to make junk, yet they do.

I still wish Apple would launch a smaller form factor MacBook with a 9" or 10" LCD. I want something that runs OS X and some typical work productivity apps but with a smaller footprint, and a modicum of IO (not wimpy MBA IO). Something that would also do Skype video telecons.

I think they'll sell a lot of the new pads, and it'll be great for my stock. But selfishly, I continue to dream that one day, they'll build a high quality miniature OS X laptop.

Oh well. You can't have everything, where the hell would you put it?

Dell and HP were never strong players in netbook market. Much as I'm aware of, Asus and Acer are doing quite well... However, I do believe netbook market is evolving into ULV market.

Two major reasons:

- Netbooks have pretty much stopped their development. New Atom CPUs are lower on power consumption, but hardly any better than older ones performance wise (per core).

- With people moving to Windows 7, having hardly acceptable performance under XP (which Atom, arguably, is achieving) is not good enough any more. Even with ION platform, Atom based netbooks are almost equally weak - graphics are good enough to run most games, but CPU isn't.

Additionally, price of ULV CPUs will go down with more mass-implementation (already is going down). Current generations are already achieving 8+ battery life from Core 2 Duo based CPUs, and with switchable graphics these little things are actually getting close to full-size laptop performance with lightness and battery life of classic netbooks.

I don't know if this argument is of any importance on global scale, but I do think it is illustrative - my company had solid demand for netbooks during last year, but in the last couple of months everyone who is into ultra-portables is asking for Asus UL and Acer Timeline units, among others. Heck, I was considering netbook last year but now I am planning to replace my full-size laptop (and skip on netbook) with one of incoming 13" Asus UL30 later this year.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    Quote:

His logic is pretty whacked. The iPad is an accessory computing device as is a netbook. I know of no one that has used a netbook and gone "This is perfect, now I can get rid of my Mac/desktop/notebook". There are likely some that have, just as there are some that saw Gigi in the theater and liked it but nearly all would have bought netbook as an accessory or temporary computing device.

He also makes some odd price comparison as if other devices being cheaper mean that they'll be less successful. He probably said the exact same thing about the iPhone yet Apple became the most profitable handset vendor in the world in just two years on the market with their super expensive phone.

Gigi or Gigli? Big difference. The first line of Wikipedia's entry for Gigli reads "Not to be confused with Gigi (1958 film)."
  • Reply 75 of 98
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Are you 100% certain that you can't operate the iPad without a Computer.

Of course you can operate the iPad without a computer. However, unless Apple allows wireless backups, you will have to connect to a computer at some point to backup your data(if that's important to you). Also, Apple updates the OS a couple of times a year. Until they provide updates over the air, you will have to connect to a computer for that also.

With my iPhone, I only connect it to the computer when there is an OS update. Since I have MobileMe, everything else syncs over the air. The same will apply to my iPad.

I have a haunch with the 4.0 OS update, you will be able to perform wireless backups and hopefully over the air software updates - how great would that be?
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Of course you can operate the iPad without a computer. However, unless Apple allows wireless backups, you will have to connect to a computer at some point to backup your data(if that's important to you). Also, Apple updates the OS a couple of times a year. Until they provide updates over the air, you will have to connect to a computer for that also.

With my iPhone, I only connect it to the computer when there is an OS update. Since I have MobileMe, everything else syncs over the air. The same will apply to my iPad.

I have a haunch with the 4.0 OS update, you will be able to perform wireless backups and hopefully over the air software updates - how great would that be?

Very great. That, plus wireless printing and whatever streaming and cloud services Apple might have in mind for that giant data center would make the iPad an entirely autonomous device.

Note that all of those things are a matter of software updates and possible expansions to existing Apple services. Apple is selling a somewhat ancillary device that can be rendered standalone pretty simply, which is something to consider.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Very great. That, plus wireless printing and whatever streaming and cloud services Apple might have in mind for that giant data center would make the iPad an entirely autonomous device.

Note that all of those things are a matter of software updates and possible expansions to existing Apple services. Apple is selling a somewhat ancillary device that can be rendered standalone pretty simply, which is something to consider.

Yep... Software is the differentiating factor. I really believe Apple is pulling out all the stops on this one. The no contract option is huge, and at a low price of $15/ month??? That's unheard of. It's about to get crazy in the Tech world.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

It's real.
    • Contains an incredible 85 tools built into a single knife

• Guinness World Record holder for "the most multifunctional penknife"

• Manufactured by Wenger (Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife)

• Special edition knife, perfect for collectors

• Comes packaged in Wenger box [view]

• Weight: 2 lbs, 11 ounces

• Dimensions: 8.75" wide

• Lifetime warranty

Is it 16:9 ?
  • Reply 79 of 98
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
  • Reply 80 of 98
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Except that's it's not really.

A netbook costs anywhere from $300 and up. A Kindle costs $260 and up. A Windows 7 laptop anywhere from $500 and up.

A iPad costs $500 and up, it also needs another computer. Which adds a additional $500+ to it's cost.

So essentially a $1000 to $1300 iPad isn't in the range of other $260-$1000 devices at all.

If the iPad was standalone, then we are talking some competition, $500 Win7 laptops vs $500 iPads.

From Apple:

There's a whole lot more to this decision than price. Otherwise the iPad would not have any effect on these products. That's the factor you're missing and that's the factor a lot of people miss. There are tons of us out there who do not place much emphasis on how cheap a product is.