HTC says Apple's patent suit has not affected its operations

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The fact that the U.S. International Trade Commission has agreed to look into Apple's claims of patent infringement against HTC has not fazed the Taiwanese handset maker, its president said Friday.



According to Reuters, HTC Chief Executive Peter Chou said the suit from Apple, which has accused his company of violating 20 iPhone-related patents, has not affected its operations.



"It's part of business," Chou reportedly said at a news conference. "We need to face it and everyone can talk through it."



His comments come a few days after the ITC agreed to review Apple's allegations of patent violations by HTC. Apple has sought to ban the importation and sale of HTC handsets, which include a number of devices powered by the Google Android mobile operating system.



HTC formally responded to the suit last week, when the company said it has no plans to back down as a result of Apple's legal threat. Google, the creator of the Android mobile operating system that is at the center of the patent infringement suit, has also said it will stand by its partners, including HTC.



Apple's lawsuit is largely believed to be an indirect shot at Google, which is a close partner with HTC in making the Nexus One and myTouch 3G, two phones specifically cited in Apple's complaint. In January, a firmware update to the Nexus One added multi-touch functionality system-wide to the portable device.



The legal battle began in early March, when Apple filed its complaint against HTC, suing the Taiwanese smartphone maker over the alleged infringement of 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Yet! :d
  • Reply 2 of 15
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    No ish, HTC. There's been no formal ruling yet, geniuses. But hey, anything to make people think you're not peeing all over yourselves in terror.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Ah, Taiwan.



    Land of the "we can copy anything without reprisal" mentality.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Will have to wait until the ITC rules. If you want to view the notice



    http://www.usitc.gov/secretary/fed_r...3312010sgl.pdf
  • Reply 5 of 15
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    this stinks. I hope they didn't do something so stupid as directly copying other companies. they are really getting better and the phones they are coming out with are pretty cool. The Evo with 4g, 720 video recording, 1ghz cpu, and hdmi out is a good example of the progress they made.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Here in germany a famous musician had to destroy several albums because he copied the melodies of some of his songs from an unknown frensh Indiband. They sued and didn't give him the right to use them. The shops had to throw away most of his albums and some samplers...



    Just imagining the same thing happening with HTC. Millions of phones in large trashdumps - ready to be destroyed



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    Will have to wait until the ITC rules. If you want to view the notice

    http://www.usitc.gov/secretary/fed_r...3312010sgl.pdf



    Love the way the USA lists everything online...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post


    Just imagining the same thing happening with HTC. Millions of phones in large trashdumps - ready to be destroyed



    You are what we call here in the USA jumping the gun. Any company has the right to protect their patents. There has been no ruling by the ITC. If the ITC rules in Apple's favor, HTC can and most likely will file an appeal or can file a patent suit in Federal Court. In the alternative, HTC can pay Apple a license fee to use the rights of the patent.



    Worse case scenario, like the recent decision regarding Microsoft--MS had to delete some codes from MS Office/Excel and Word.



    Regarding the musician--he should have asked first.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post


    Love the way the USA lists everything online...



    Yeh, freedom to find these things are kind of handy, aren't they?



    Finally, you seem to be opposed to patents and copy writes? Are you? Why?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    supaflysupafly Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    this stinks. I hope they didn't do something so stupid as directly copying other companies. they are really getting better and the phones they are coming out with are pretty cool. The Evo with 4g, 720 video recording, 1ghz cpu, and hdmi out is a good example of the progress they made.



    Yes they've got some nice hardware, but their software is largely built on the backs of other people's work. They have no real ideas of their own. In fact if you look at the latest version of Sense, you'll see they've ripped off Apple once again with their "Helicopter View" which is really just their version of Apple's Exposé. Add to that their new implementation of Cut, Copy & Paste, its a complete rip off of the iPhone's, even down to the use of a magnifying glass. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made some amendments to their filings and added these infringements to their case.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm posting this from my htc touch pro2, which I have loaded android on over windows mobile lol
  • Reply 10 of 15
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    There has been no ruling by the ITC. If the ITC rules in Apple's favor, HTC can and most likely will file an appeal or can file a patent suit in Federal Court. In the alternative, HTC can pay Apple a license fee to use the rights of the patent.



    Apple would have to agree to that and Tim Cook has already stated publicly that they are not in the business of licensing patents.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Recycled OR being Android, having an update pushed out to them to remove the functions affected by the patents.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post


    Here in germany a famous musician had to destroy several albums because he copied the melodies of some of his songs from an unknown frensh Indiband. They sued and didn't give him the right to use them. The shops had to throw away most of his albums and some samplers...



    Just imagining the same thing happening with HTC. Millions of phones in large trashdumps - ready to be destroyed





    Love the way the USA lists everything online...



  • Reply 12 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    Will have to wait until the ITC rules. If you want to view the notice



    http://www.usitc.gov/secretary/fed_r...3312010sgl.pdf



    I personally noted a while ago that NeXT will be part of the suit and this document confirms it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post


    Love the way the USA lists everything online...



    Thanks for the link - did anyone notice the NeXT trademarks cited in the complaint summary ("yes" says the post above mine)? Thought they were long gone - like 1997 gone. I'm guessing there's some IP mentioned in the document that is specific to pre-apple material - but it's VERY interesting regardless.



    HTC better hope they don't move for a cease-and-desist until the investigation and decisions are rendered. That would cause them to excrete enough bricks to build an office building for sure.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Recycled OR being Android, having an update pushed out to them to remove the functions affected by the patents.



    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. 45 days until the ITC picks its date to when the investigation will be concluded. Then another 60 days for the judgement to be carried out. You can expect HTC to appeal within this time, further prolonging the legal matters.



    Since we don't know what date the ITC will pick, it could be theoretically a year or more before a judgement is finally reached on the HTC device ban. Plenty of time for HTC's engineers to work their way around the alleged infringements.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post


    Thanks for the link - did anyone notice the NeXT trademarks cited in the complaint summary ("yes" says the post above mine)? Thought they were long gone - like 1997 gone. I'm guessing there's some IP mentioned in the document that is specific to pre-apple material - but it's VERY interesting regardless.



    HTC better hope they don't move for a cease-and-desist until the investigation and decisions are rendered. That would cause them to excrete enough bricks to build an office building for sure.



    Well DocB, we all know that NeXT lives on in OS X.



    Quote:

    NeXT LIVES! Still have my NeXTstation for the WIN!



Sign In or Register to comment.