Apple iPad internal hardware revealed in pictures by FCC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    ilokiiloki Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Now we know what's inside.

The shattered hopes and dreams of every MacHead from here to Timbuktu or an idiot fanboi's delight?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    It's looking like it might be possible for the advanced user to open the device up later and increase the storage or replace the battery.

And here's a hand to the people at the FCC who not only didn't abide by Apple's request of a August 17 release of these photos, but covered up the selected areas in such a incompetent way.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is room for a stylus to fit inside, too. Why is Apple screwing us over again?!

How about a recessed SD card slot?

Then we can all go out and buy $350 64GB SDXC cards and double our storage!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Not Flash NAND, but the RAM. The first two iPhones had 128MB, which was barely enough, the 3GS is 256MB, I'm guessing 512MB for the iPad.

Oh, sorry, guess you caught me napping on a Friday.

512MB seems reasonable for iPad RAM. I guess we'll know either tomorrow or Monday.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

I think he is correct, but I think the acoustic properties he mentioned were a 2nd result of the air space. I think the primary usage is for cooling the system. He and others stated it doesn't even get warm to the touch. I think the air space is being used by both rather effectively. The iFixit breakdown will give us more angels and insight to the design.

I assume one space will be taken up by the logic board that has the 3G radio and GPS chip, as well as the cellular antenna.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

There is room for a stylus to fit inside, too. Why is Apple screwing us over again?!

Flash storage?

Folding screen to increase the aspect ratios?

Mini-pull out key board?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I assume one space will be taken up by the logic board that has the 3G radio and GPS chip, as well as the cellular antenna.

Good point.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... and let's not overlook that there's a rather conspicuous space reserved for a camera module in the upper part of the aluminum frame, but yet there's no camera installed -

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repai...s-camera-slot/

Interesting, but I'm seeing a lot of speculation on what already has been confirmed as the placement of light-sensor. I don't doubt that a camera will come along in the future - but I already have one on my phone (that's easy to hold - LIKE A CAMERA) so I'm fine with that.

Plus no one - I mean noONE noted that the camera-kit provides a standard USB port for the bottom in spite of nerd-rants to the contrary.

Also the iFixit tear-down (mirror) notes it's a pre-production device. All manner of tweaks - like a former camera might have been present THEN but not now.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

And here's a hand to the people at the FCC who not only didn't abide by Apple's request of a August 17 release of these photos, but covered up the selected areas in such a incompetent way.

With such a helpful government as the one we have, I sometimes wonder why the world needs reverse engineers, corporate spies, IP-thieves, and such.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Oh man - ain't that truth. I've seen a TON of redacted .PDFs that can be simply un-redacted in my "super-CSI image enhancement software" Adobe Illustrator. Occasionally I have to reach for Adobe Distiller (also super secret spystuff software) and on the rare occasion they actually remember to password lock the .pdf - there's handy crackers for those (true).

I recently (out of boredom) un-redacted some email addresses from a .pdf posted on the Huffington Post website. Seriously - what are people thinking...
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

With such a helpful government as the one we have, I sometimes wonder why the world needs reverse engineers, corporate spies, IP-thieves, and such.

Best statement I have seen all year!!!

Seriously.

Isn't this proprietary information? Why is the FCC just airing Apples design result for everyone to see?

True, it's after the fact and the product is now released, but can they do that?

Someone please enlighten me as to what allows them to disclose proprietary information to a public forum. A site like iFixit or Anandtech is one thing, and I would hope they got permission before doing it, but it's not as though government agencies ask permission, so how does that work?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Oh man - ain't that truth. I've seen a TON of redacted .PDFs that can be simply un-redacted in my "super-CSI image enhancement software" Adobe Illustrator. Occasionally I have to reach for Adobe Distiller (also super secret spystuff software) and on the rare occasion they actually remember to password lock the .pdf - there's handy crackers for those (true).

I recently (out of boredom) un-redacted some email addresses from a .pdf posted on the Huffington Post website. Seriously - what are people thinking...

Apparently my question has now been answered.....
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Apparently my question has now been answered.....

re:"but it's as though government agencies ask permission"

Oh that's funny. Ask the IRS to seek permission from you to not file your income taxes this year.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Apple "requested" the info be kept secret 180 days. The response was something akin to REQUEST DENIED - SUCK IT DOWN BITCH!
  • Reply 34 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Isn't this proprietary information? Why is the FCC just airing Apples design result for everyone to see?

Go to the FCC site for this filing. There are letters from Apple asking for temporary non-disclosures and some permanent ones. I have no idea how those rules are setup but the radio testing information, which is secret between the FCC and the company are, by law, required to be made public for safety and health reasons. You have a right to know what the devices are putting out, too. The only issue is the PDF gaffe.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

re:"but it's as though government agencies ask permission"

Oh that's funny. Ask the IRS to seek permission from you to not file your income taxes this year.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Apple "requested" the info be kept secret 180 days. The response was something akin to REQUEST DENIED - SUCK IT DOWN BITCH!

Corrected. There was supposed o be a "not" in there.

And I am an accountant. I am all too familiar with the IRS.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

What???
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

No doubt. The 3G/GPS model weighs 0.1 lb more than this one, and also has a modified back cover for the antennas not present here.

That's 1.6 oz more. That's a lot, so it must take up a decent amount of space.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Best statement I have seen all year!!!

Seriously.

True, it's after the fact and the product is now released, but can they do that?

Someone please enlighten me as to what allows them to disclose proprietary information to a public forum. A site like iFixit or Anandtech is one thing, and I would hope they got permission before doing it, but it's not as though government agencies ask permission, so how does that work?

The FCC requires that companies either supply photos, or they take their own for the purpose of reference. Normally, all that is disclosed when the FCC makes their tests public, as required by law.

Some companies can plead a "cooling off period" because of certain proprietary designs, and the FCC will usually comply.

But they are being nice, as they don't have to.

My company had to submit a number of products to the FCC for certification. They always took photos, or used ours. Back then there was no internet. But you could go to their offices and request the relevant product folders, and they would let you see them.

Normally, the embargo is off once the product reaches production, though, in some cases, that would be held until the product release, or earlier, once product was shipped from the factory.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Just because there is no point: styluses with a tip much smaller than a finger won't work with capacitative touch screens.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Yeh, could be room for more electronics for the next gen--Maybe room for the much wanted camera/video cam for conferencing and Skype.

No, no, this is where they put the Magic Dust.

While it's existence is not widely known and the supplier a well guarded secret, reliable sources have indicated they believe that once a week, Steve Jobs is whacked like an old rug, with a fully charged dust buster at the ready.

In part 2, I'll document the history of SJMD with an illustrated timeline, including it's discovery in '81, when Woz noticed the sparkly substance after slapping SJ on the back.