iPad 'jailbreak' demoed, compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPod touch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Members of the iPhone hacking community have demonstrated a way to jailbreak Apple's iPad -- as well as the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch -- with a public release of the software said to be forthcoming.

Known as the "Spirit" jailbreak, the software allegedly works with iPhone OS 3.2, currently available for the iPad only, as well as iPhone OS 3.1.3 for the iPhone and iPod touch. It could also allow users of the latest hardware revision of the iPhone 3GS to unlock their handset for use on alternative carriers.

A member of the iPhone Dev Team who goes by the handle "MuscleNerd" revealed the hack in a video posted to YouTube just a day after the iPad launched. The video shows the user gaining root access to the iPad and using it to command the iPad to close the Maps application.

The demonstration with the iPad came soon after another hacker, George "Geohot" Hotz, demonstrated a new method to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch. The hacker said his method would "probably" work on the iPad, but hasn't provided any updates since the hardware was released.

While iPhone users can rely on jailbreaking to unlock their handset for use with unauthorized carriers, the 3G-capable version of the iPad, scheduled to arrive in late April, ships unlocked by default. However, its 3G frequencies are only compatible with AT&T in the U.S.

But the warranty-voiding jailbreak process can also allow users to run software Apple does not allow. Hackers have created their own custom applications that allow features, like multitasking, which not currently permitted within the iPhone OS.

Late last year, Apple quietly updated the BootROM in the iPhone 3GS to thwart potential hackers. It marked the first time ever that the handset maker had modified its hardware in the middle of a product line, without a new model released.

The new BootROM, known as iBoot-359.32, has proven challenging for hackers, who have only been able to publicly release a tethered jailbreak, which requires users to connect their iPhone to a computer via USB every time they reboot the device.

Of course the battle between hackers who want to run modified versions of the iPhone OS and Apple will continue, with the Cupertino, Calif., company set to unveil the latest update to its mobile operating system, iPhone OS 4.0, at an event scheduled for Thursday. As with previous updates to the mobile operating system, the new version will likely include new security measures designed to thwart hackers.

Apple and the jailbreaking community have gone back and forth for some time, as the iPhone maker has looked to close avenues used by hackers. One of the main concerns about jailbreaking is piracy, as the procedure can allow users to steal software from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and the jailbreaking community have gone back and forth for some time, as the iPhone maker has looked to close avenues used by hackers. One of the main concerns about jailbreaking is piracy, as the procedure can allow users to steal software from the App Store.

Jailbreaking does NOT "allow users to steal software from the App Store". Are there any other "main concerns"? It seems telling that the one and only "main concern" that was mentioned is a total fabrication.

So why does Apple use its limited resources to thwart jailbreaking? Why is it necessary for owners of Apple devices to jailbreak in the first place?
  • Reply 2 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    How much of a security threat is a jailbreak? I am under the impression it's huge potential trapdoor for users, but I could be misinformed.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    jailbreaking --> installous --> stealing.

i do not mind ethical uses of JB'ing, but to many kids out there want to JB so they can get free apps.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Jailbreaking does NOT "allow users to steal software from the App Store". Are there any other "main concerns"? It seems telling that the one and only "main concern" that was mentioned is a total fabrication.

So why does Apple use its limited resources to thwart jailbreaking? Why is it necessary for owners of Apple devices to jailbreak in the first place?

Just as Microsoft protects content on the Xbox 360 and Sony (who have removed 'other OS' support' from the PS3, which was presenting as a security issue) protect their systems from hacking so must Apple. No publisher wishes to produce content for a platform which can be easily hacked enabling the user/pirate to run copied software. This is what jailbreaking enables whether you run pirate software or not.

Its ALL about piracy and the pressure placed on platform owners by publishers of any copyrighted media.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

How much of a security threat is a jailbreak?

Zero.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

jailbreaking --> installous --> stealing..

This is the same stupid analogy like "people who smoke pot will do crack someday".
  • Reply 6 of 96
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Zero.

That's a pretty confident statement, care to back it up?
  • Reply 7 of 96
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    "Warranty voiding"? Not if you restore the regular firmware.

AppleInsider seems to have a very negative attitude about jailbreaking. Why is that?
  • Reply 8 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

{How much of a security threat is jailbreaking?} Zero.

This is absolutely false. There are known exploits that affect jailbroken iPhones, but not other iPhones. Jailbreaking clearly adds a new security issue.

Quote:

A variety of reasons, but mostly related to ensuring a standard, uniformly positive user experience.

What happens when someone tries to update a jailbroken phone and bricks it? They blame Apple.

What happens when someone has a jailbroken phone and it doesn't work properly? They blame Apple.

What happens when a jailbroken phone gets a virus? People (especially 'tech' writers) blame Apple.

What happens when someone with a jailbroken phone calls Apple for help? It costs Apple money to fix something they should have to fix in the first place (even if they tell the customer it's not covered by warranty, it still costs Apple money to make that determination).

Apple is all about consistency and user experience. Jailbroken phones damage that so don't expect Apple to support you - or encourage you in any way. It just doesn't make sense for them to do so.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Of course, by the time Jailbreak comes out, iPhone OS 4.0 will be revealed and hopefully fewer reasons to jailbreak.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

How much of a security threat is a jailbreak? I am under the impression it's huge potential trapdoor for users, but I could be misinformed.

It depends. The issues cropping up last year were jailbreakers who also installed SSH and then never changed their default SSH password. Then there are issues with an app that hasn't been vetted by Apple and the holes being exploited themselves.. Overall, it's pretty safe but the user has to be knowledgeable enough to know what they are doing. I'm not opposed to more hoops setup to jailbreak. GeoHot made it too simple.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:

I may be wrong but I was of the understanding apps can be shared and loaded into a jail-broken iPhone (so presumably iPad). Newsgroups and the like carry many already so I assume they work although I have no idea if they do or not. If not they are certainly wasting bandwidth uploading them!
  • Reply 12 of 96
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Zero.

This is the same stupid analogy like "people who smoke pot will do crack someday".

Zero?? Stupid analogy??

you are obviously very mis-informed. (probably one of the kiddies i refered to in my orginal post)
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its ALL about piracy and the pressure placed on platform owners by publishers of any copyrighted media.

No, it's not! I run a small company with 20 employees. Simply put: I rely on Apple to protect me from loads of viruses, problems the user can't solve themselves and other unwanted support issues. Apples protective ways saves me money and time. And gives me the right arguments to choose Apple in front of Windows. I am willing to pay a premium for that if necessary. Since I do not need other stuff like virus programs, support and other problems.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It depends. The issues cropping up last year were jailbreakers who also installed SSH and then never changed their default SSH password. Then there are issues with an app that hasn't been vetted by Apple and the holes being exploited themselves.. Overall, it's pretty safe but the user has to be knowledgeable enough to know what they are doing. I'm not opposed to more hoops setup to jailbreak. GeoHot made it too simple.

Potential full read-write access to the entire filesystem, and people rarely change their SSH password. You tell ME how safe that is.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    I jailbroke my ipod and I will jailbreak the ipad as soon as I can. I don't do anything illegal. I simply want to be able to customize the look and feel of my device. If I pay so much money for something, it is mine and I want to be able to do whatever the hell I want with it. If I want a customized theme or sounds, then I'm going to do whatever process is required to be able to install them. If I want apps that apple has deemed inappropriate, well it's my device and I will install anything I damn well please. it is all fine an dandy to want to give customers a quality user experience by locking the device down, but some customers want more. better yet, why not take the issues most jailbreakers talk about, the biggest reasons why people jailbreak in the first place, and implement them into the product to begin with. Do that and innocent jailbreakers will no longer have a need for it.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I may be wrong but I was of the understanding apps can be shared and loaded into a jail-broken iPhone (so presumably iPad). Newsgroups and the like carry many already so I assume they work although I have no idea if they do or not. If not they are certainly wasting bandwidth uploading them!

The apps that you can get on a jailbroken device are apps specifically written for that. They are apps that apple will not allow in the app store. Apps that allow processes that apple doesn't want you to be able to have. Sometimes they are free, and sometimes you still have to pay for them.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The key is that you must have a copy of the application in hand (downloaded/copied from somewhere) so that you can apply the hack that allows the digital signature stuff to run - and of course your iPhone/Touch and now iPad must be jail-broken to get the hack to work.

Because it is the digital signature that is compromised to allow you fool the OS into thinking it is OK it opens the application to anything, including dangerous code (malicious or just poorly written). It also allows people to apply hacks such as the removal of copyright notices and the copying not only of the app but codes resources which can be traced using gdb or other tools.

There are times it would have been nice to change a bit of an app just by editing a nib or a SQLite database to add some functionality but that is not allowed under the EULA (please, lets not get off on whether the EULA is enforceable or not since that has been beaten to death).

I look forward to iPhone OS 4 and the enhancements it will bring to all of us. I don't need to jailbreak my iPhone or my iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigsanders View Post

I jailbroke my ipod and I will jailbreak the ipad as soon as I can. I don't do anything illegal.

You do not own Mac OS or iPHone OS. You have a license to use it. That license comes with certain terms. One of those terms is that you can not jail break it. So you have broken the license agreement.

Just ask Psystar how legal it is. They were very severely slapped around by the judge for doing essentially what you're advocating. The fact that they made money on it was not a key part of the decision.

All of this "it's my device and I can do what I want" whining is a bunch of self-centered rationalization by people who have no clue about intellectual property.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigsanders View Post

The apps that you can get on a jailbroken device are apps specifically written for that. They are apps that apple will not allow in the app store. Apps that allow processes that apple doesn't want you to be able to have. Sometimes they are free, and sometimes you still have to pay for them.

Au contraire! You are mistaken - any app can be used and the code signing broken to STEAL a copy of that app. As I mentioned in a previous post all you need is access to the app itself via a friend that haas purchased or stolen it or BitTorrent. The simple process to overcome the code signing is well documented on the internet by those that are interested in such exploits.

Code signing serves multiple purposes of which DRM is just one. The other is that it is supposed to provide you with a digital certificate that indicates it has not been hacked or patched so that viruses and malicious code does not begin to move about our devices.

All of OS X is signed which is an assurance that you are running unmodified code. I for one like that - a lot!
  • Reply 20 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

YJust ask Psystar how legal it is. They were very severely slapped around by the judge for doing essentially what you're advocating. The fact that they made money on it was not a key part of the decision.

No, they weren't. They were sued for creating a business around it. Apple has never gone after the OSx86 Project, they've never gone after the iPhone OS jailbreakers, and they never gone after the end user not even Psystar's customers which they would have had a record of due to the court case.

Does it go against your agreement? Sure. Is it something to be worried about? Depends on your level of expertise in that if you foolishly send your device to Apple to fix an issue without wiping the device first they may end up dropping you from your warranty. Is that a reason for no one to ever jailbreak? Absolutely not. It's your device, do with it what your wish, but if you break an agreement be prepared to also suffer the consequences if you get caught