Apple's iPad A4 processor X-rayed to reveal three-layer design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The second layer is the most delicious layer.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

No, in fact it is done all the time to check for IP patent infringement.

Actually it depends on your intent. To reverse (or as you called it back) engineer is not illegal but to then use that design (especially if not developed in a 'clean' environment) is considered a BadThing?.

Edit: Melgross answered first/same time - sorry for the dupe.

Thanks! revers - back whaterver
  • Reply 23 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I've had the opposite experience.

Before spellcheckers, I was lousy at spelling. Now I look at the misspelled word, and look at the properly spelled word, and learn the correct spelling. Before spellcheckers, I didn't even realize that I had made a mistake, much less was I able to instantly learn from the mistake.

Same here, my spelling has improved dramatically because of seeing the correct spelling. This of course reflects on how much attention I paid in school I still seem to reverse a lot of letters due to either bad typing or some brain disfunction though.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah, the hopes were for 512. IF the 4.0 ver. has third party multitasking, I would suppose Apple thinks 256 can squeeze it in.

Refined OS and new processor. What validated evidence do you have that more is needed? And why just another 256?
  • Reply 25 of 99
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

due to either bad typing or some brain disfunction though.

No brain disfunction. One hand -typically the right one- is faster than the other one. this is particularly obvious when you are tiered.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's disappointing that the original reports' 512 MB of RAM was downgraded to say it's really 256 MB.

I think it's cool. It shows that Apple can deliver great performance with conservative hardware specs.

Think of it this way, if the ipad is as smooth as it is with 256mb now, think how nice a later generation with more ram will be.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think it's cool. It shows that Apple can deliver great performance with conservative hardware specs.

Think of it this way, if the ipad is as smooth as it is with 256mb now, think how nice a later generation with more ram will be.

The beauty of designing your own chip set as well as the OS that runs on it.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Same here, my spelling has improved dramatically because of seeing the correct spelling. This of course reflects on how much attention I paid in school I still seem to reverse a lot of letters due to either bad typing or some brain disfunction though.

I find it depends on the person and their ability or intent to learn anything new. Most people I know just accept whatever the system says and move on, never learning the correct spelling at all. If you take the time (as I do and apparently you do as well), to look at the proffered suggestion and learn it, you can improve your spelling dramatically. Sadly, not many bother to do this in my experience.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Refined OS and new processor. What validated evidence do you have that more is needed? And why just another 256?

That just seems to be the trend in these kinds of gadgets. Video cards, for example, seemed to double their vram with every new generation for a while there. Now it's sort of teetering off until software can catch up.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

I suggest throttling back your emotional investment in Santa, and especially these types of goofball sources. What would you do with the extra RAM anyway? You'd be just as unrealistically disappointed if these guys guessed 256MB and it later turned out to be 128.

Come on now! I'm a big fan of reductio ad absurdum on forums as they can often be humorous but you have to have a valid point first. Do you have or ever had an iPhone? A lot of posters here can attest to the limitations of only having 128MB in the original iPhone and the benefits of 256MB. The 3GS is the curst iPhone that could feasibly handle multitasking.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 3GS is the curst iPhone that could feasibly handle multitasking.

Interesting typo.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Come on now! I'm a big fan of reductio ad absurdum on forums as they can often be humorous but you have to have a valid point first. Do you have or ever had an iPhone? A lot of posters here can attest to the limitations of only having 128MB in the original iPhone and the benefits of 256MB. The 3GS is the curst iPhone that could feasibly handle multitasking.

I recall that at the WWDC it was explained that RAM/multitasking was not the issue. Multitasking/battery life was.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

I don't think melgross or any other reasonable poster thinks here it's needed. He stated that he was hoping it would be 512MB. Myself and many others thought so, too. Note that he ended the comment you quoted with a statement that wasn't complain or crying out how Apple has ripped us off, but that they likely know what their multitasking can and can't handle. Pretty damn reasonable, if you ask me.

As for the 256MB addition, that's typically how they scale. It's possible to add 128MB more but I think that when they do add more it will be for a total of 512MB. The why is pretty universal. The 3GS from June 2009 has 256MB, the iPad is more capable likely having apps that utilizing more RAM, and because multitasking is a foregone conclusion at this point.

There is about 1/4 of the RAM free when I check my stats, which should be enough for an app or two running in the background.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

It was also disappointing when I learned there was no Santa Claus. If fact much more so, because I had very real expectations built on his work. Guesses from 3rd parties using bandsaws and dental X-rays to peak inside a chip... not so much.

Like wise people here had real expectations based on current technology. That doesn't mean that everybodies expectations will be realized. But the want for a rational amount of RAM is not unrealistic.

Quote:

I suggest throttling back your emotional investment in Santa, and especially these types of goofball sources. What would you do with the extra RAM anyway?

In this day and age only two types of people would ask that question. One would be a troll. The other would be somebody that is stupid. So which are you?

By the way if you are stupid that can be forgiven as one can't be blamed for genetic issues not of his making.

Quote:

You'd be just as unrealistically disappointed if these guys guessed 256MB and it later turned out to be 128.

Unfortunately the issue with RAM is very real and of concern to both the developer and the user. More importantly given todays technology the desire for 512 MB of RAM is not unrealistic. Given the design of iPhone OS it is almost a requirement to realize some apps that would have been nice on the platform.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

"teh" - really? in 2010?

It's still around, along with no caps.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Interesting typo.

The iPad certainly feels different. I.m seeing that the autocorection seems overall moor intelligent. I can even type fucking with out correcting to ducking.

Quote:

I recall that at the WWDC it was explained that RAM/multitasking was not the issue. Multitasking/battery life was.

Battery life is an issue but RAM is a major factor. I don't know what they said at WWDC but saying it's a battery drain is a scapegoat answer because we know Apple can't just add denser batteries, but added more RAM is well within their power. Jobs did the same thing with Blu-Ray; it's true licensing was a bitch but the most relevant reasons would make them look bad. It's management speak.

The 128MB can technically do it the same way net boom with 1GB RAM can technically run a bunchnof apps, but it's not pretty. Even running the background able apps on the first two phones could be problematic.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    I've been reading all the comments about how 256 MB of RAM is not enough. The world that we live in today always goes the easiest way not the best way. Now we slowly learn that we shouldn't only try to make the hardware more powerful but also make the software more efficient. When it gets cold in my house I can turn up the central heating. However, I can also choose to improve the isolation of my house. What Apple did with Snow Leopard is a good example of this whole process. While other developers make software which require more and more hardware resources. Other developers are making their software more and more efficient. More hardware is a pragmatic solution. More efficient software is the ideal solution. Since Apple is a company with great ambitions and a idealistic perspective on both hard- and software they understand this very well. While Jobs is at the wheel they will never forget this truth, and while many others require heavier hardware to do the same tasks as Mac users do, but with less recourses. Thus leaving more recourses free for other processes. I believe that the exact same approach is taken with the iPad. A new operating systems means more efficient software. Back in the days a 1Ghz machine also had 256 MB of RAM. Companies in stark contrast to this vision are:
    • Adobe;

• Microsoft;

• Intel.

Let's wait till iPhone OS 4.0 is shown to us in a couple of days and then judge again.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

"teh" - really? in 2010?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find it depends on the person and their ability or intent to learn anything new. Most people I know just accept whatever the system says and move on, never learning the correct spelling at all. If you take the time (as I do and apparently you do as well), to look at the proffered suggestion and learn it, you can improve your spelling dramatically. Sadly, not many bother to do this in my experience.

I find that a lot of people don't read any more. They also don't know very much about word origins, which is a shame. I guess it's a sign of the times.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Apparently 256mb is enough because the iPad seems to run everything very quickly with 256mb.

On what basis are people saying 256mb isn't enough? We're talking about apps *designed* for the iPad. There is no sense in measuring 256mb on the iPad against anything else, save for another iPad, or the *next* iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I will join in here too as I have not heard anyone else say this before. There are several words that I now know that I have a tendancy to mispell and just knowing can help me correct them on my own.

However, it a problem for typing on the iPhone, as it has no system wide spell check (outside of the typo correction feature).* Now, when I need to spell a word that I know I frequently mangle, I intentionally miss the last letter to the left or right to see if the iPhone will correct that last letter. If not, then I know I need to try again. This can be effective, but it is a real pain...

I hope 4.0 has a spell heck in it, so I don't have to go through this...*

*if someone tells me that the iPhone already has a system wide spell check, I will pull my hair out (and then be glad).