Palm dumps Pre ad agency, T-Mobile offers $350 for iPhones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Is that why the stock jumped yesterday?

Like a desperate lunge for the rim as it slowly circles the flushing bowl of bankruptcy?

Rumors were floated that Lenova was in discussions to buy Palm.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

However, Google has simply not kept up with software updates for the phone. At the same time, all of their other carriers came out with their own UIs on newer phones, resulting in several different deployed versions of Android with several different custom, proprietary interfaces.

It is my understanding that Google is aware of this and is going to try to get all Android devices to version 2.1. However, the damage is done. By "open," Google means Android is open to cell companies--not to you and me. For proof of this, try installing a tethering app without getting "root" on your phone, or upgrading the OS to the latest version without hacks. (I thought "open" meant it was my phone...)

And so I've come full circle. At this point I want back the polish and consistency Apple brings with its walled garden. I'm just unwilling to switch to AT&T.

While Google has been sitting Android 2.1 for awhile it's up to the vendors to make updates for the devices. Google's position now with the unfortunate (yet inevitable) fragmentation is to make the future of Android better at easily fitting more devices with features being drop in components. I don't know how well it will work, but at least it's something. Here are some interesting links about it...
  • Reply 43 of 48
    I live in Germany and have a 3GS. I visit the US often and I can tell you from first hand experience that it works perfectly on T-Mobile US's network. Internet speed is at 3G (or at least it seems like it is).
  • Reply 44 of 48
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I'm so glad I read this thread...those ads are hilarious...in a shockingly bad kind of way. Whomever thought a spaced out, doped up girl was a good marketing ploy. She's tripping out of her *ing mind!!! She's even funnier in slow mo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCrxF...eature=related
  • Reply 45 of 48
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    it's no surprise these guys are facing tough times, their ads range from suck (cadillac) to creepy (palm pre). TIAA CREF ads suck too.

when i first saw that ad i felt uncomfortable. they made the model incredibly creepy. everything she said was a waste of time as well.

i'm getting nervous about t-mobile with deals like this being offered. i want them to do well.

another creepy ad for comedy central, featuring hipsters spitting out water while fake laughing. why in the world would all these people be laughing with milk in their mouths? it looks so fake and set up that it's just weird (if they were really bursting out laughing while drinking, some would probably come out their nose)

http://www.modernista.com/7/index.php#/tv/
  • Reply 46 of 48
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastidon View Post

I live in Germany and have a 3GS. I visit the US often and I can tell you from first hand experience that it works perfectly on T-Mobile US's network. Internet speed is at 3G (or at least it seems like it is).

I'm thinking you're likely getting EDGE, not 3G, since T-Mobile in the US uses a different frequency for their GSM 3G network than basically any other provider.

Though the German iPhone is completely unlocked (right?) so I wouldn't be surprised that it works well.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    The problem isn't the ads Palm, it's the WebOS, it's a gimmick, in the long run, they're just not that good.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

I'm thinking you're likely getting EDGE, not 3G, since T-Mobile in the US uses a different frequency for their GSM 3G network than basically any other provider.

Though the German iPhone is completely unlocked (right?) so I wouldn't be surprised that it works well.

Well it says 3G and not E and the speed is normal so I can only assume it is 3g. My phone is locked though. You can get an unlocked version by paying a premium kicker but it simply is not worth it as T-Mobile is by far the biggest here (German Telecom).